Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HPP Magazine- Calling all Firebirds

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPP Magazine- Calling all Firebirds

I posted this to the Southern Forum but wanted to extend an invitation to all of you forced induction Firebirds. I met many of you at the Southern Shootout in Louisiana and thought that this would be a good opportunity for you to let it hang out at a closed track session. The details are below, but if you have a question, contact me at 972-898-0055.

And yes, Southern Shootout coverage is coming soon to GMHTP.

Randy Allen
Free-Lance GMHTP/HPP

HPP Magazine in conjunction with Year One, POCI and DAPA are putting on another Pavement Pounder Shootout. This time we are in Commerce, Georgia on Wednesday, July 13. This is the day before the POCI drag-race on Thursday, July 14 and part of the overall POCI Nationals experience.

Entry rules and forms can be found at:
http://www.palmettopontiacs.com/
In addition, the same information should very shortly be loaded to www.poci.org and www.dapa.org.

If you haven't heard of the Pavement Pounder Series, essentially 18-20 cars get the use of a track (Atlanta Dragway) for a day of racing where your car will be photographed and put in the magazine. The cars involved will be both Classic and late-model Pontiacs and I need help to recruit fast late model Firebirds and GTO's.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Teching In

TTT, Have I mentioned that this is one of the best ways to get a feature on your car. We routinely pull out cars from the entries, do a feature but let them run the day of the Shootout just like everyone else. I received one call from a gentleman with a sweet F1R T/A and the details look like a great feature car (although the editor ultimately chooses). If you have a Pontiac and can travel to Georgia, please apply.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 02-16-2005, 10:43 AM
I ruin the end of films...

Hmm, even though I know how hot it is in Atlanta in July, I'd be interested in bring my little turbo car down.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:47 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,109 Likes on 727 Posts

Sounds neat.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Randy, I would think you would find plenty just on this board alone.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trtturbo
Randy, I would think you would find plenty just on this board alone.
Billy, I sure hope that we get a bunch of applications. It would be fun to see some quick F bodies and GTO's. Normally we will get H/C/Nitrous F-bodies, but the supercharged and turbo F-bodies haven't stepped up. We know you are out there as I read this board daily to figure out what might be applicable from a tech perspective to HPP/GMHTP and to search for area cars for features. Let's get those applications in!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Did Bryan W. send in an app? I could maybe have more interest then. Always interesting to see a setup with a total compression of 17:1 running down the 1321 with 93 pump gas.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Yes, I talked to Brian on the phone and he will be sending in an application. This is the car that I was referring to in an earlier post.

Randy
Old 02-16-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Would love to go, the car would probably be finished by then, but based on the entry form it seems to need to be completed now.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

I deffinately will be sending my entry in for my CE. Maybe the Formula as well.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Birdie2000- As long as you believe the car will be complete, send in the application. Put down a projected ET. If you get selected (and how many LT1 forced induction cars will really enter) and it turns out you don't get done in time; no big deal, just give me a call and we can see if we can slide you into an event later in the year. Stuff happens and cars break the day before or don't get sorted out in time. As long as I know the status a week or so before the event, I can work to find a substitute..
Old 02-16-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Did Bryan W. send in an app? I could maybe have more interest then. Always interesting to see a setup with a total compression of 17:1 running down the 1321 with 93 pump gas.
You are killing me here.

By the way sent you a PM
Old 02-16-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Randy my car was featured in this edition of the lonestar series and I was wondering if I would be able to make another appearance in the mag.
http://highperformancepontiac.com/sh...1pon_shootout/
I have since changed the setup a bit but its completely streetable and still takes me to work and school up to 350+ miles a week.
At the last race attended I ran a best of 10.28@129 with a stock longblock(w/nitrous) at 3400lbs a/c and ps as a legitimate daily driven street car.
I'll drive my T/A to and from Georgia and plan on setting a new best running in the 9.50's still stock heads and shortblock(cam only w/nitrous).As it sits now the car makes the power to do so but weather is keeping me from running the number at local tracks here in Dallas.

Would I be able to make the mag again?
I could send in some really nasty pics of what happened to the previous motor that was in the car at the last race.(lasted 93 1/8th mile passes pilled at 200hp then died a tragic death on the dyno making 650rwhp)

Josh Hurt
Old 02-17-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by '01 WS6 TA
Randy my car was featured in this edition of the lonestar series and I was wondering if I would be able to make another appearance in the mag.
http://highperformancepontiac.com/sh...1pon_shootout/
I have since changed the setup a bit but its completely streetable and still takes me to work and school up to 350+ miles a week.
At the last race attended I ran a best of 10.28@129 with a stock longblock(w/nitrous) at 3400lbs a/c and ps as a legitimate daily driven street car.
I'll drive my T/A to and from Georgia and plan on setting a new best running in the 9.50's still stock heads and shortblock(cam only w/nitrous).As it sits now the car makes the power to do so but weather is keeping me from running the number at local tracks here in Dallas.

Would I be able to make the mag again?
I could send in some really nasty pics of what happened to the previous motor that was in the car at the last race.(lasted 93 1/8th mile passes pilled at 200hp then died a tragic death on the dyno making 650rwhp)

Josh Hurt

LOL at tragic death! HEHE

Mike
Old 02-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Josh, yes I remember you from that Shootout. Stock cam and lots of juice. The rule that HPP has is that the same car can't be in another Shootout. The same individual can enter another car though. With that said, over the years we have invited back a few select people to run their car where we would publish and update. If you are willing to go to Georgia, I will go to bat for you to get you an update. Fill out the application, send in some trajic death pictures (as well as the normal pictures) and I will try to sell it to Tom. In this case blowing up the previous motor helps you. No guarantees, but I will try.

Mike, it's only 925 miles to Commerce, how about a V6 entry!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Mike Brown will be the one to watch here, those OH Boys have really been some of the leaders in the scene.

Mike, how heavy will the CE be you think?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ACPromotions
Josh, yes I remember you from that Shootout. Stock cam and lots of juice. The rule that HPP has is that the same car can't be in another Shootout. The same individual can enter another car though. With that said, over the years we have invited back a few select people to run their car where we would publish and update. If you are willing to go to Georgia, I will go to bat for you to get you an update. Fill out the application, send in some trajic death pictures (as well as the normal pictures) and I will try to sell it to Tom. In this case blowing up the previous motor helps you. No guarantees, but I will try.

Mike, it's only 925 miles to Commerce, how about a V6 entry!
Id love to go, but the car isnt a V6 its a Formula....

Im still working on putting the last few winter mods on the car. I too will be pushing the envelope like Josh has but Ive got a Cam only car. Maybe Josh and I could battle it out in GA and Show the readers how we do it in TX. :evilgrin:

Mike
Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Any restrictions to race gas or to engine/power-adder size?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Teching In

No restrictions on race gas. As far as an engine goes, as long as it is a corporate engine (LT1/LT4/LS series) or a Pontiac and you are fine. No non-Pontiac brands of engines such as a BBC or small-block ford. The only other rule is that even though the Atlanta dragway doesn't have muffler restrictions, mufflers are required. Now if all you ever do is drag-race and don't have mufflers, don't let it stop you from applying. We have had non-muffler cars in Texas before.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Mike Brown will be the one to watch here, those OH Boys have really been some of the leaders in the scene.

Mike, how heavy will the CE be you think?
Thanks John.
The race weight will depend on what mode the car is in. The CE is going to be our street turbo car. In full street trim with drag radials 3500-3600. In race mode with the sticky tires 3400-3500. No wheelie bars, but a chute will be required.
I'll be bringing it to the first race.

Quick Reply: HPP Magazine- Calling all Firebirds