Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What do ya'll think about a twin turbo kit with GT30R's (ball bearing)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do ya'll think about a twin turbo kit with GT30R's (ball bearing)?

I've been having a bunch of ideas lately and wanted to hear what you guys thought. Turbos will be GT3076R. These turbos are rated at 500hp each and have just amazing spool. Both these turbos togther will push an LS1 20+psi so they can pack a punch!! I just wanted to see if anyone would be interested. People have seen our work and know this isn't some pipe dream. The only problem with this kit is that the turbos alone retail for over $1200 a piece. Then you have to add two wastegates which is another $250 a piece. You know this kit ain't going to be cheap, unless of course you buy from Phamspeed

Kit will consist of:
Forward facing tubular stainless headers
12ga 2 3/4" stainless header extensions to turbos
2.5" downpipes routed under k-member (1 O2 bung per dp)
2 GT3076R ball bearing turbos
2 Tial 38mm wastegates

Turbos will be placed in front of the engine on each side of the balancer. AC will have to be removed unless you want to run two pipes under the driver side K-member (contact us for more details on this). Radiator fans can be mounted in stock location.

We're going to set the price at the absolutely lowest possible, $4550. In hopes to get this kit rolling into production, we will give a $200 discount to the first buyer of this kit. That's $4350 for this kit to the first buyer.

For more info, please email or pm me.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

I think that sounds like a winner, except if your going to go ahead and do this, I would stay away from the log headers that some are using though (don't know if your planing on doing this or not). Not many will be intrested in a 20 psi kit though because of the upgrades that will be needed. Those turbos are top of the line, been trying to decide between the GT30R and the GT35R for my project which I'm starting research for.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by billybob77036
I think that sounds like a winner, except if your going to go ahead and do this, I would stay away from the log headers that some are using though (don't know if your planing on doing this or not). Not many will be intrested in a 20 psi kit though because of the upgrades that will be needed. Those turbos are top of the line, been trying to decide between the GT30R and the GT35R.
Well, these turbos are capable of 20psi. They'd be happy running 5psi as well Manifolds will be tubular for sure, haven't side stepped yet and we're not going to start now.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1-7
Well, these turbos are capable of 20psi. They'd be happy running 5psi as well Manifolds will be tubular for sure, haven't side stepped yet and we're not going to start now.
Good deal. The only other thing I can suggest is that you might want to look at making some type of "brace" for the turbos. I think this is an important issue that most turbo builders miss.

Other then that, can't wait to see the results!!
Old 02-21-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pham, I really wish you had come up with this idea about 2 months ago. lol. My car is close to being finished and it would have been VERY pimp to have a setup like this....with A/C as you mentioned could be done. And your prices are unreal! I paid over $1,000 more for a used kit, that won't make near the amount of power this kit will. Well if I grow sick and tired of this kit for some reason, I'll try to get ahold of you guys. hehe. I'd soooo love to be the guy getting that $200 discount.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:01 AM
Staging Lane

$4550 with the turbos!? Man, that's a heck of a deal. If I hadn't bought a setup already, I'd be all over that.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

I've been having a bunch of ideas lately and wanted to hear what you guys thought. Turbos will be GT3076R. These turbos are rated at 500hp each and have just amazing spool. Both these turbos togther will push an LS1 20+psi so they can pack a punch!! I just wanted to see if anyone would be interested. People have seen our work and know this isn't some pipe dream. The only problem with this kit is that the turbos alone retail for over $1200 a piece. Then you have to add two wastegates which is another $250 a piece. You know this kit ain't going to be cheap, unless of course you buy from Phamspeed

Kit will consist of:
2 Tial 38mm wastegates

Turbos will be placed in front of the engine on each side of the balancer. AC will have to be removed unless you want to run two pipes under the driver side K-member (contact us for more details on this). Radiator fans can be mounted in stock location.

We're going to set the price at the absolutely lowest possible, $4550. In hopes to get this kit rolling into production, we will give a $200 discount to the first buyer of this kit. That's $4350 for this kit to the first buyer.

This is similar in thought to what I will be doing with my LS1-FD (Of all people on here, you should appreciate this!). A few differences though. Tubular headers would come up, ala a pair of reversed headers. Another intermediate pipe (keeping it short) would connect between the header flange and the turbo. T3 flange on one side, whatever header flange on the other. The intermediate pipe would be basically vertical and allow some room to play with placement.The flange on the intermediate pipe would be oriented to keep the compressor inlet facing forward, downpipe flange facing aft (compressor outlet can be clocked wherever it needs to be). The turbos would be positioned in front of the engine, on each side and close in. Alternator would need to be moved. Facing the d/p flange aft would allow you to run the downpipe straight back and under the pass and drivers headers. 2.5" would suffice. The downpipe could connect to the exhaust system I already have. It picks up where the LS1 exhaust manifolds left off. The header would be done is 321, downpipes in 304. You could add a short S/S flex section to each intermediate pipe/Dp if you wanted, this would allow you to rigidly mount the turbo to the block. Oh yeah, wastegate flange could come off the intermediate pipe anywhere prior to each turbo.

Just some thoughts, I personally would be interested in headers and maybe the intermediate pipes (if done this way). I can source the GT30R's a little cheaper and the downpipes are a bit too application specific to me (Edit..upon further though...maybe not?). I'm the one who started the GT30 thread last week. I think a pair of these with a large A/R on the hot side would be ideal for a stock cubed LS1. If you are looking for a guinea pig, let me know. My car is down at the moment for the FI build (9:1 Mahle slugs, AFR 225s, Callies rods, ETC). As long as it's up by late spring, I'm happy. I dropped you a PM about a month ago...didn't hear back.

Ryan
Old 02-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Coal Mining Director

Just curious....why not copy the Incon design but with your stainless tubular headers. With the -11 turbos it will support around 900rwhp and you keep all accessories....be a super street setup.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onfire
Just curious....why not copy the Incon design but with your stainless tubular headers. With the -11 turbos it will support around 900rwhp and you keep all accessories....be a super street setup.
That design poses a big hassle. Scavenge pumps (which can fail) to get oil to return back to the pan since it will not gravity drain. Reliability becomes an issue as well because the incon was a long style manifold and those end up cracking when made from stainless. The reason Incon's manifolds never cracked is because they were cast iron and could support the weight of the turbo and take all the expansion and contraction without structual problems with the unit. And last but not least, you can fit bigger turbos this way. You are limited as to what you can stuff in the tunnel around the bellhousing/tranny; up front in the engine bay you have lots of room to deal with after you move the radiator forwards.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Coal Mining Director

I guess it all comes down to goals. Gravity drain will always be superior to a scavenge pump (although STS is using one and belt driven pumps are now on the market to ease some concern).

The turbo weight would have to be supported with a bracket like LPE does on their ss TT manifolds to keep the manifold from failing.

And you are limited to a 50lb/min turbo...which is around 850-900rwhp on a mn6.......front mounts are not. For a street system though, an undermount is a pretty clean setup.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:27 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

John...if one has aspirations of, ohhhhh, 402~427 cubes, 20~30#s of boost, and 1000~1200 hp, these still the turbos to go with? Obviously I'm nowhere near making a purchase, but that would be the ultimate goal and I would rather go over sized in the turbos the first time and be set for later than be undersized latter and right sized now.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

I would be a little concerned about running GT30R turbos even on a 346. I think that they might be just a little small. Twin GT35R turbos might be a better choice. I don't think you would see much lag, and it would perform quite well I think.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see nothing wrong at all with running twin GT30R's. They will be able to make the power most people will want. I'm sure there would be little hassle to throw in some larger turbos though.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I 2nd that!

Rob Raymer was able to do it as well as Intmd8 and CAS.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Kit will consist of:
2 Tial 38mm wastegates

Build it for the Vette!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Never seen an Incon setup and probably wouldn't want to copy anyways You can still keep all your accessories with our kit, it just means you will have to lose some ground clearance, not by much but enough that I have to point it out. The only accessories you will lose forward facing headers is AC.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
John...if one has aspirations of, ohhhhh, 402~427 cubes, 20~30#s of boost, and 1000~1200 hp, these still the turbos to go with? Obviously I'm nowhere near making a purchase, but that would be the ultimate goal and I would rather go over sized in the turbos the first time and be set for later than be undersized latter and right sized now.
For that goal, I would go with GT35R's which would be an additional $350 per kit
Old 02-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bryson
I would be a little concerned about running GT30R turbos even on a 346. I think that they might be just a little small. Twin GT35R turbos might be a better choice. I don't think you would see much lag, and it would perform quite well I think.

GT3076R's will be fine for hp goals of say 800hp. If you wanted to go to a bigger turbo like the GT35R, all that would need to be done is swaping the turbos. All flanges are exactly the same and the turbos are physically almost identical
Old 02-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flynbludream
Build it for the Vette!!!
We are in the process Turbos for the C5 will also be twin GT3076R's. We're going to start building this kit some time during May.

The special price for $4350 has now been closed.

We will be posting lots of pics during the build and will post them up as we go. All I can say is WOW!!! This kit is going to be badass!!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

so gt30r will produce up to 800hp, do you mean rwhp? the gt35r will move boost rpm up how much?

Quick Reply: What do ya'll think about a twin turbo kit with GT30R's (ball bearing)?