Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger VS Turbocharger(s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger VS Turbocharger(s)

In may I am getting a 2002 Z06 Corvette and i was just wondering which you guys/gurls would perfer for more reliablily, power, and over all life span. Thanks alot! Comments and feedback are needed.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by falconskaterjohn
In may I am getting a 2002 Z06 Corvette and i was just wondering which you guys/gurls would perfer for more reliablily, power, and over all life span. Thanks alot! Comments and feedback are needed.

There are pros and cons to both of these setups. Pros for a supercharger is $$$ combared to turbo, the engine will last longer, and the power is there at all times. That could also be a con though unlike turbo chargers which kick in only when a person steps on it. The pro for turbo is that more power can be gained by it but I believe that the engine wear will be higher. A con for a turbo setup is that it's a lot more expansive than a supercharger.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Turbo = more efficient

Turbo all the way...

I fail to see why a turbo would wear out your engine more than a supercharger... anybody care to explain?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

I agree...I could see turbo having less wear since it's only in boost when u reach a certian throttle % or rpm... I believe that Sc would always be boosting...
Old 03-01-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another thing is when you put a supercharger on, you take away HP to gain HP. Adding extra pulleys can rob HP. The loss isn't gonna be anything like the gain but IMO turbos are the more efficient of the two. A supercharger adds another power robbing pulley to the engine whereas a turbocharger only adds a little backpressure in your exhaust. With the right exhaust setup, turbos are far better than superchargers.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO I would go the turbo route.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOTS of information on this over at CF.

It seems to me most people use a maggie SC for reliability.
Ill personally be using twin turbos cause of performance, drivablity and sound
Old 03-01-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

i would run a turbo... you can get a smaller kit now for a decent price and they are reliable as well.. .all in the tune after you get the car back together
Old 03-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Turbo > Supercharger. I doubt S/c is more reliable, that's a huge strain on the crank. The only disadavantage it turbo is going to cost more. Reliabilty depends on a lot of factors, it's all in the tune, IMO.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an easy question. The answer is TURBO!

Here's a TT C5 from Livernois for reference:

Uhhhh...wait a minute...here's a blown & sprayed C5 from Livernois:

Ahhh ****...here's another TT C5 from Livernois:

I'm so confused

Seriously though...go the turbo route. That's coming from a guy with a blower (and spray) car.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for turbo...as if another vote is needed.

BTW-Unit, that yellow vert you posted sounds sick...what does it run?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SCamaroS
There are pros and cons to both of these setups. Pros for a supercharger is $$$ combared to turbo, the engine will last longer, and the power is there at all times. That could also be a con though unlike turbo chargers which kick in only when a person steps on it. The pro for turbo is that more power can be gained by it but I believe that the engine wear will be higher. A con for a turbo setup is that it's a lot more expansive than a supercharger.
Oh, so that's why million mile big rigs run turbos. My bad.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In My Opinion:
If you are not going to make any changes to your bottom end, then a turbo might be better, as you can use a waste gate to blow off the boost that you will not be able to use. Where as with a S/C a change of pulley can better control the amount of boost generated. Probably not a good idea to use a twin setup on a stock bottom end. If you are keeping the stock bottem end, you could purchase a P-1SC or D-1SC use a 3.93 to 4.00 pulley and never worry about it.

The Turbo, will generate more heat in the engine compartment, and heat the oil more than the Supercharger will. Especially so with the procharger that has a self contained oil system. The Turbo and Vortech all tap into the oil system.

With a supercharger, there will be a lot less plumbing than there will be with a turbo.

Tuning with a turbo is much more complicated than with a supercharger as the with the S/C the boost is directly related to the RPM, once a turbo spins up, its up.

S/C does requrie the pulley pulling on the crank, but from a reliablity standpoint, General Motors has had as many S/C cars as they have had turbos. However GM never made a aftermarket turbo available but they did make a aftermarket S/C available.

Magnacharger will not generate as much boost as the centrifigual blowers. So if it is power you are after, procharger or turbo is the way to go. Vortech is a nice system, but you have to tap the oil system. IMO, this is bad, because if anything in the blower broke, it is going back into the engine. Where as the Intercooler, might catch something otherwise. The same problem exist as with a turbo, if it desides to blow up, little metal pieces are going back into the engine.

You can make your own opinions on the reliablity issue.

Last edited by Bryan Wilkinson; 03-02-2005 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Mod
Old 03-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Turbo, turbo,turbo...
Old 03-02-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hairdryer.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by eviltwins
Oh, so that's why million mile big rigs run turbos. My bad.
when a buddy of mine was in the army, he said he was workin on turbo/sc 22,000lb trucks
Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Wow this thread is 5 year's old and it seems that turbo is the way to go. Is that the same today or is supercharging the way to go?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

The most reliable setup is the magnacharger, but its performance is limited.

If money is no issue, the TTiX kit is the best FI kit for C5 Corvettes, hands down.

If you need to spend less, the A&A Vortech kit and the ECS Paxton kit are the best SuperCharger options, but you need to go 8-rib or get the Flip Drive setup from Cartek if you want reliability and piece of mind. The belt setup on c5s is terrible for SuperCharging, runs too many accessories, not enough rap around the crank pulley, which is where a lot of belt slip occurs.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turbos to me are the route id go if i had the $$$ for either. A twin setup or even a single can have lots and lots and lots of room to grow.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Nothing wrong with either setup. I was impressed with this car however http://www.lsxtv.com/forum/race-prov...runs-1220.html

Quick Reply: Supercharger VS Turbocharger(s)