Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Major Misfires! Please help ME!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Misfires! Please help ME!

I get the code P0352 Ingnition coil 2 control module blah blah blah. So, I switch 2 coil packs still on cylinder 2. Put on a new spark plug wire and a new spark plug gapped at .35 and .30 both, same stupid misfires, I look at the harness that plugs into the coil pack and it is a little striped and some wire is showing! so i replace the harness. STILL MISFIRING! I DUNNO ANYMORE, it could be the ground which i will check tomorrow. Otherwise anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by osuhunter07
I get the code P0352 Ingnition coil 2 control module blah blah blah. So, I switch 2 coil packs still on cylinder 2. Put on a new spark plug wire and a new spark plug gapped at .35 and .30 both, same stupid misfires, I look at the harness that plugs into the coil pack and it is a little striped and some wire is showing! so i replace the harness. STILL MISFIRING! I DUNNO ANYMORE, it could be the ground which i will check tomorrow. Otherwise anyone have any ideas?
I've had the same problem for months and still haven't found the problem. Try checking your injectors and fuel pressure. Turn the pressure up on your regulator and see if it changes. Could be a bad injector. I did this last night to mine and the miss got a little better when I turned it up. So I think I have a bad injector. Move the injector and see if the problem moves.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Default misfire

Originally Posted by osuhunter07
IS the car actually missing? Does it run ok and the light is coming on? Does it miss at idle or only under a load? U can check fire out of the coil..remove the coil where you can stick a screw driver in it, then have somebody crank the car and see how far spark can jump from a piece of metal...it should be a blue spark and jump around 1" or more. If it is ok let me know. If spark is ok, then swap injectors from #2 cylinder to #1 and see if the miss firing stays on #2 or moves to #1. If it stays there, you need to check injector pulse(noid light) or use a test light. If that is ok then check compression or pull the valve cover and see if a pushrod is bent.

Did you clear the code when you swapped coild and the harness? ALot of the times you have to clear them by a scan tool and not by disconnecting the battery.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

I moved the coil to another cylinder and it is ok, so that isn't it, It is rough as hell in my car now everything vibrates at idle and autotap keeps reading the misfires, if i punch the gas up it really isn;t bad, if I ease it up it the misfires go to 70-100. :0 Driving it you can hear misfires, and it is like chugging along, what should injecors read on a multimeter, they are 42#. Also I cleared the coe maybe 10 times and reset the ecu. I also have hardened chromoly pushrods and I remember what they sound like bent not like this. Thanks! Any more ideas i will switch the injectors tonight to see.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:33 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swap the whole coil packs side to side, the wires under the packs sometimes wear through and short to the valvecover, if you already replaced that harness then thats done.

Usually that code will not come from a non-ignition problem and its a wiring problem, check all the coil wire routing and make sure nothing is pinched/worn through. If you seen some bare wires under the coil pack there is a good chance it may have damaged the PCM also. Sometimes the wrong cylinder gets reported on those p035x codes so make sure you are troubleshooting the proper cylinder. Its the one that the header tuve will be a lot colder then the rest after its been running.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds To Me Like It Could Be Something Else Masking Itself As A Misfire.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:45 AM
8 second mod

i had misfires ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!
99% of the time it was bad wires, id replace them and it was fine.
one time i replaced them, it didnt fix it. my father said shut the lights with the car running, and look around.
You would not believe me, but i had sparks jumping to every metal to metal i could find. hoses and brackets. it was nuts, i put tape or wire hide in between everything and it was fine. what caused it. not sure, but i would guess a wire that i could not see was hitting someplace. very strange, but it worked
Old 03-11-2005, 11:50 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those P035x codes come from a primary coil problem usually not secondary. P0300 codes come from cams, compression or secondary ignition problems - USUALLY.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's too much gap this will show up at higher cylinder
pressures (high dynamic cylinder air value). If it's too
little gap it will show (I think) at the fat-fuel, slow-burn
corners. Might try logging the misfire-current values and
stuff like MAP, RPM, CylAir, and try scatter-plotting them
in Excel; any "normal" PID that seems to group the misfires
into a distinct line, cluster, whatever, can be a useful clue.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

can you bring it by rev xtreme to have them go thru it?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kp
those P035x codes come from a primary coil problem usually not secondary. P0300 codes come from cams, compression or secondary ignition problems - USUALLY.
so are my misfire codes coming from my cam AND drop in compression? is it safe to assume that? the car runs fine aside from wanting to stall all the time at idle...damn it I need a tune
Old 03-11-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

My car can not make it out of the garage, none the less to tampa and I dont have enough time to even tow it there. Which sucks. So I guess I will let it run and look for lightning I have seen that before. Than I will switch the coil pack sides and see if it switchs if not it is something in the female side of the harness to something. But what i dont understand, It that if it is after the coil packs, It couldn't be ground, Why would only one coil miss? This sucks
Old 03-11-2005, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a bad coil once but the mis-firing cylinder was not the one that EFILive said it was, it was the next one in the firing order. That really made it hard to figure out because the bad cylinder was reading good data.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the misfire go away as the rpm's increase?

My car had a low speed misfire on #8 for 2 1/2 years. Tracked the root cause to a cross-threaded spark plug of all things Installer was a bozo. When doing a routine plug change we couldn't get #8 started (right Reckless?!). So, I re-tapped #8 with head still on car and lucked out as it cleaned up and held several torque-ings.

I A-tapped the car once it was buttoned up, and the chronic misfire was gone, #8 fires at 100%.

Not suggesting this is you car's problem - but just pointing out don't discount any detail. Low speed misfires should be very infrequent and random, if they occur at all.

Quick Reply: Major Misfires! Please help ME!