Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BOV for P1-SC questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV for P1-SC questions

Hey all, I have a p1-sc with a 8 psi pulley. I am interested in a BOV, i read about a few BOV set ups and i still have some questions because i am new to FI.

1. I've heard alot of praise about the HKS SSQV, but is the ATI Race ready better in terms of sound and performace? I would rather get the ATI then the HKS since its not rice made, but if the HKS is better sounding or performing i would get that of course.

2. I notice at 2k rpms and below, im in the vacuum or at 0 if im accelerating, is this because my bypass valve is venting the boost, would the BOV give me more boost at that range because its adjustable and i can adjust to be less sensitive to vacuum? Is there any power gains over the stock bypass?

3. Whats the best route in terms of fitting it? I see a lot of people weld it on their air box, that looks really nice, is that the best way to go? is there any particular place to put it where it would be most beneficial? I know it has to be before the MAF. if i would get one i am thiking about getting it welded to the air box, and get a straight pipe instead of the bypass valve.

4. If i am in vacuum, is the BOV going to be open and sucking in unfiltered air? how do people go around this? Is it possible to fit a small K&N filter on it?

thanks!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you do it be prepared for a constant chiriping noise that will come out of it.

ultra annoying.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackbird
if you do it be prepared for a constant chiriping noise that will come out of it.

ultra annoying.
I never heard an ATI RaceReady or HKS, but i've heard the Mondo vortec one and it sounds good.

heres the video of that:
http://home.comcast.net/~jsbird1998/mondoatthetrack.mov

theres a Tial also, which sounds liek what you are describing, chirping and fluttering, i dont like that at all.
http://www.itlxlr8.com/vids/BOV.wmv

I just want a woosh sound similar to the turbos. And hopefully unlock some boost, if thats possible.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:25 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That mondo vortec one sounds badass.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

From what I understand blow off valves (BOV's) and bypass valves (BPV's) work differently. BOV's are designed to stay closed until their is a spike in vacuum in the manifold, ie. the throttle body closing. BPV's are designed to stay open under vacuum and shut when their is boost detected in the manifold. That's why a lot of S/C guys have been disappointed with the flutter when they put on BOV's.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by delusion
I never heard an ATI RaceReady or HKS, but i've heard the Mondo vortec one and it sounds good.

heres the video of that:
http://home.comcast.net/~jsbird1998/mondoatthetrack.mov

theres a Tial also, which sounds liek what you are describing, chirping and fluttering, i dont like that at all.
http://www.itlxlr8.com/vids/BOV.wmv

I just want a woosh sound similar to the turbos. And hopefully unlock some boost, if thats possible.

The first vid is FRCEFED98's and it is the Vortech Mondo.... he had the HKS BOV and ANY BOV will sound like the 2nd vid (my car) That is the Tial 50MM BOV. WE both were selling the BOV's and going with a BYPASS.... a BYPASS is what you wil need. Either the ATI or the Vortech. Any BOV will chirp at cruise like you heard in my vid. I was going with the Vortech after hearing it on FRCFED's car.... i had the flange welded on and was about to order the Vortech bypass when i decided to sell the whole kit and go turbo.
Thats about all ya need to know..... DONT buy a BOV for your SC setup......
Kyle
Old 03-14-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by black_yukon
From what I understand blow off valves (BOV's) and bypass valves (BPV's) work differently. BOV's are designed to stay closed until their is a spike in vacuum in the manifold, ie. the throttle body closing. BPV's are designed to stay open under vacuum and shut when their is boost detected in the manifold. That's why a lot of S/C guys have been disappointed with the flutter when they put on BOV's.

Exactly.............................
Kyle
Old 03-14-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

ok thanks for clearing it up.

No bov for me then.

As far as the Mondo and the ATI RaceReady, is there any power to be gained from swapping from the stock, or is it purely for sound? How does the ATI sound?

I found the Mondo valve on ebay and as well as summit. if i was to buy it, how would i get it connected, it has a weird oval shaped inlet, is it going to come with all the necesarry hardware to get it welded to my air box?

Last edited by delusion; 03-14-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

You'd have to buy the mounting flange (12 bucks) its a triangular pad with three holes I'd say if you have the twin IC's try to mount it to the y pipe off to the passenger side if there is enough room. Its best to mount the bypass right after the s/c.

You can bypass it back into the inlet hat, you will need a two inch hose tho, or you can blow it off into the atmosphere which sounds awesome. You will have to plug the inlet hat where the stock bypass use to vent to, but thats easy.

Its freakin huge so space to mount it is tight
Old 03-15-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is the flange, price went up to 16 bucks
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...tegory_Code=AC
Old 03-15-2005, 11:52 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I used a turboXS bypass (not BOV), some pics on my cardomain site, picked up almost 3/4lb of boost ditching that crappy ATI thing. Pretty much just goes on with a different hose or you can just put a filter on it to keep the noise down and keep things a little cooler.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Here is the flange, price went up to 16 bucks
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...tegory_Code=AC

Same flange i used... went on easy......
Kyle
Old 03-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet cars KP. do you have any videos of sound files of that turboxs? Do you dump to atmosphere or recirculate?

thanks

Originally Posted by kp
I used a turboXS bypass (not BOV), some pics on my cardomain site, picked up almost 3/4lb of boost ditching that crappy ATI thing. Pretty much just goes on with a different hose or you can just put a filter on it to keep the noise down and keep things a little cooler.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:36 AM
kp
8 Second Club

At first I dumped back into the hat like stock then I just stuck a little air filter on there and dumped it to atmosphere. No sound files really, you could definately hear it with the air filetr on it. I did it more to get some extra boost then the noise Here is a couple more pics, you can see the advanced auto hose part number I cut apart to make it go back into the hat. It doesnt move as much air as a mondo or ati race bypass but its plenty for a P1SC, I was running a 3.2 pulley also.