Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Turbo?

I know its been talked about alot but here we go. I have a 98 camaro ss m6. Just has lid, pulley,and cutout. It is my weekend and nice day street car. I want more power out of it with drivability of a stock car like it is now. Seems the sts rear mount is the best way to go. I mean, 450+ hp with 6 pounds of boost on a stock motor seems badass to me. How much more worse is the turbo lag. Also, can I get away with buying the stage 1 system for 3800 or will I need anythig else. What other parts will I need to upgrade. I have stock manifolds and y-pipe. Would it be worth anything getting some highflow cats? Fuel pump......Springs...? Let me know guys, This sytem just seems to be badas for the price and power it makes. I dont have 6k to soend of a differnt system or a blower but I can pretty sure afford the sts system. So, what are your opinions of this system for a street car. I dont care about super crazy power but 450+ would be good enough for me
Old 03-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Launching!

Procharger D-1SC, 450 easy, reliable, power on demand, easy to install
Old 03-17-2005, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

d1sc can be had for under 4 grand too.....close to 3700 if you look hard enough.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DamanZ28
Procharger D-1SC, 450 easy, reliable, power on demand, easy to install
More info please. How so easy to install? Also, what all would I have to upgrade on the car for the d-1sc? Would I have to have headers? I want to have stock internals. I know the ls1 can handle 450-500 hp pretty east with stovk bottom end. What kind of power is that blower making with totytaly stovk motor and stock headers?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

STS blows the D-1Sc out of the water with performance and driveability. The Turbo will get you more power and it will be much sooner in the power band.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be happier with the turbo.
I have done both so I know from experience.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Area under the curve baby!
Old 03-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

sts turbo is a great kit, the power is a lot more efficient because with a supercharger you need power to make power unlike a turbo where the exhaust is always there. You will want to upgrade your fuel pump and go with bigger injectors but as for the stock manifolds, cats and y-pipe you can leave them because with a turbo you do not want any exhaust leaks what so ever. I gutted my cats and only got another 8hp out of it. As for the turbo lag im fully boosted at 10psi @ 3,000 RPMs and you'll want to keep your stock gear ratio, 3:42s? the more of a load you can out on your motor the sooner- the faster you'll boost.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Damn Jason, I havn't heard from you in DAAAYs!
Old 03-17-2005, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Phamspeed man. I cant see why ANYONE would do an STS with phamspeed kits as cheap as they are.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black_z
Phamspeed man. I cant see why ANYONE would do an STS with phamspeed kits as cheap as they are.
I would think because the STS kit is complete and the Phamspeed is going to take some fab work.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_z
CA is the reason... I love the Phamspeed, but it would be pretty much un-smoggable unless you knew someone. I would not like to remove all that junk just to smog it. STS on the other hand - if I can't smog it, I just put the stock muffler back on, dust off my lid, reflash, and I'm gone.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Wud up Justin, Havent seen you in Daaays. I gotta catch u at the shop sometime soon.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bradyb
STS blows the D-1Sc out of the water with performance and driveability. The Turbo will get you more power and it will be much sooner in the power band.
sorry but that’s just plain wrong. Why don't you need new injectors with the STS kit? Answer: because it doesn’t make that much power. A D-1SC can make 500 rear wheel with the proper fuel mixture, conservatively. As for drivability, the efficiency of a D-1SC is much greater than an STS kit. 5psi STS < 9psi D-1SC. 9 psi being conservative assuming stock bottom end. With forged internals, the ProCharger can push 12-14 psi. Its going to take the STS kit much longer to spool, not to mention the train lengths of plumbing that are needed to run the air back up to the front of the car.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:13 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Firehawk853
sorry but that’s just plain wrong. Why don't you need new injectors with the STS kit? Answer: because it doesn’t make that much power. A D-1SC can make 500 rear wheel with the proper fuel mixture, conservatively. As for drivability, the efficiency of a D-1SC is much greater than an STS kit. 5psi STS < 9psi D-1SC. 9 psi being conservative assuming stock bottom end. With forged internals, the ProCharger can push 12-14 psi. Its going to take the STS kit much longer to spool, not to mention the train lengths of plumbing that are needed to run the air back up to the front of the car.

Actually you are incorrect.

The STS kit DOES indeed require bigger injectors. The claim that they don't is essentially false. Almost EVERY properly tuned car I have seen running even 5psi is already maxing out injectors. I'd be as bold as to say that the STS kit can match peak #s of a D1 lb for lb and have better midrange. The D1 will require headers and exhaust mods to usually reach the 500rwhp mark just as much as the STS kit will require additional mods to the fuel system to do the same. Why are you comparinf 5psi of STS to 9psi of ATI??? The STS kit is going to be used with a meth injection kit or an intercooler for anything above 5psi anyway.

"With forged internals the Procharger can PUSH 12-14psi?" What does this mean?

The STS kit may or may not take longer to see 1psi than the Procharger depending on the head units you are comparing but the STS kit will see FULL boost sooner which is why it has a higher AVG. HP than a typical centrifugal. Again if everything is equal.

Centrifugals are great and have their place. I've owned 2 on my Mustang. But make sure you have the facts straight.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

I want to see the STS kit run Lower than 11.9.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
11.9 what?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=STS+GTO

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=STS+GTO

2 GTO's (read HEAVY *** cars) running 11's and 10's

Old 03-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Launching!

I have had my STS kit on my truck for 8 months and it has performed flawlessly. Only mods I have made to the engine are a tune and 30lb injectors. I am running 8lbs of boost with no intercooler or meth and making 400hp and 429 tq. I will be putting an intercooler on it this weekend so I can run 10lbs of boost or more. This kit is awesome. Dont listen to all the people that tell you they arent as efficient because they dont know what they are talking about. They dont know the facts and they dont have the kit. IF you want facts only talk to the people that have them because they have the facts. Before you take anybodies advice. Dig up all the info from people that have turbo kits, supercharger kits, and whatever direction you may want to go with your car. Only ask them about what they know about the specific kit they have then make your own decision based on the info you have recieved and get what is best for you. Anyone of the applications would be great. As long as its what you want. Not what someone says is what you need. I have run everyone of these applications at one time or the other and they are all good for what certain people are looking for. Get what is best for you and what will please you.

Quick Reply: STS Turbo?