Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

magnuson roots 4 f-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default magnuson roots 4 f-body

i was at the pleasanton goodguys car show and the guy at the magnuson truck said they will be done by summer with their roots style blower for f-bodies.no cutting of the the cowl and it will be intercooled.he said they are modeifing the blower 2 bolt right in. excuse the spelling im still drunk
Old 03-21-2005, 06:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting...... I might have to make a few calls
Old 03-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Launching!

This sounds quit interesting, seems there are a few companies on this issue. Who said they were making one-Magnasum? I've heard this hearsay before and everytime I've called up magnacharger they've told me its not true that they already tried and it ain't possible without cutting the cowl. I really want one to happen, but without concrete news its hard to believe. All the other rumors sounded just like this one "it'll be out by summer" or "were in the final stages of completion" What else did he say, did you ask him any questions, and is this guy someone who knows what hes talking about. under their website I see there is no information, even under new supercharger kits that will release soon

Last edited by d james; 03-21-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

I hope this is true, I'm a see'er then a believer.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Teching In

the only other things he said was it would run at about 5psi and they decided to do it because of all the emails, letters and people calling everyday bitchn because they originally thought there wasnt a big enough market and they would have to design a whole new unit.now last year i heard the same thing but that was from a magnuson vendor.This guy actually worked for magnacharger and seemed like he knew what he was talking about and he sounded excited about so who knows could have just been bullshiting me so i wouldnt argue with him about why it needs to be done.haha
Old 03-23-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting........................The F-body will be a "classic" car by the time it actually happens. Thats my opinions.

Tony, keep us updated please
Old 03-24-2005, 11:15 AM
blownerator

Old 03-24-2005, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

The GTO Magnusons are terrible with high intake temps pulling timing. They had to reduce the intercooler with the GTO to get it to clear the hood and now they tend to be to heat soaked. You get GTOs running low 14s in the 1/4 with the Magnuson 5 Psi kit.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Teching In

It's a shame no one's capable of fabricating an intake low enough for the Eaton.
Fit's fine under my hood.

Last edited by Boilermaker; 03-24-2005 at 06:00 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 03-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

ditto... This subject keeps resurfacing time after time, and its always the same result.. someone takes another stab at it.. but many months pass, and its deemed not possible, or the modifications needed to make it work, has too many drawbacks to make it worthwhile.

If someone could make it work though, more power to them.

Originally Posted by d james
This sounds quit interesting, seems there are a few companies on this issue. Who said they were making one-Magnasum? I've heard this hearsay before and everytime I've called up magnacharger they've told me its not true that they already tried and it ain't possible without cutting the cowl. I really want one to happen, but without concrete news its hard to believe. All the other rumors sounded just like this one "it'll be out by summer" or "were in the final stages of completion" What else did he say, did you ask him any questions, and is this guy someone who knows what hes talking about. under their website I see there is no information, even under new supercharger kits that will release soon
Old 03-24-2005, 08:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Boilermaker
It's a shame no one's capable of fabricating an intake low enough for the Eaton. Fit's fine under my hood.
You have an Impala. Hello GRAND CANYON engine bay. On an f-body, the engine is halfway under the dashboard, so it is the blower that hits, not the intake.

I have spoken to my inside sources. As the magic 8-ball states: "Outlook is GOOD"

stay tuned
Old 03-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
You have an Impala. Hello GRAND CANYON engine bay. On an f-body, the engine is halfway under the dashboard, so it is the blower that hits, not the intake.
Duhhhhh... Man, thanks for the mechanics course. That was exactly my second point and I'm soooo glad you didn't miss it. But, you missed the first point badly.

Here's a news flash! First, I know where I'm at. LS1 tech forum. Second, the blower is installed ON the intake. If the intake is too tall then the blower will be too tall. We had to fabricate a sheet metal intake that was 1-1/2" shorter than the OEM piece just to make my blower fit in my "canyon" of an engine bay without modifying the hood. Someone's gonna need to fabricate an intake (shouldn't be all that hard for a half-*** welder) for the f-body that is not only shorter than the OEM piece but has runners that position the blower forward of the firewall. And do this without moving the blower pulley too far out from the front of the engine. You want the belt (i.e. pulleys) to be as close to the front of the engine as possible.

I'm simply amazed, with the much larger number of f-bodies than b-bodies out there in the world, that someone hasn't just done it. It's already being done to vettes very successfully.

Last edited by Boilermaker; 03-24-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Gene, when you said "intake", I figured you were talking about the intake tube on the side of the blower. Had you said "intake manifold", it would have been more clear. Does your intake manifold also have the internal air/water intercooler inside of it? Thats part of the problem with making them lower. The kit on my '69 Camaro is pretty tight and low, it has the intercooler inside of it.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
But where did you get your valve covers from? You can just PM me to keep from whoring up this thread.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Teching In

First, let me offer my compliments on a simply beautiful install you have there. Absolutely stunning. Too bad something like that is completely out of my budget and is no where near practical for a highway road warrior like my four door, 50k miles/year, 4400 pound company car.

No intercooler on mine. We have no plans for casting an intercooler in the intake manifold (around $30k up front costs). I'm using alcohol injection with a plc instead. The kit we are marketing for the LT1 b-bodies is targeted as a competitively priced, "bolt on your stocker" alternative with options for alcohol injection and modular blower pulley kits. My daily driver setup uses a 6 psi pulley and I have a 10 psi pulley for the track that takes about 5 minutes to install. We have twelve kits sold and in production. With a fresh 383 stroker going in my car soon we are expecting 600 HP.

However, along with alcohol injection we did fab up an intercooler, on the spur of the moment, for this stroked blowzilla b-body application that already had a cowl hood. It's the wife's grocery getter. It's making in the ballpark of 1,000 RWHP.

Last edited by Boilermaker; 03-24-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

That would be nice if it is true....but like others I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:45 AM
Launching!

I called the tech today and the guy was very fast at answering my questions. He told me that a kit was being looked at and that it was looking like it might actually go into production. He said there were lots of calls on one and as more people call, the kit will be more likely to happen. He said there is some political drama holting it some, but hopefully it won't get in the way. He told me to call back around june. I didn't ask him any specific questions about the kit or if it was started. I called them before at least three times through the years looking to see if the rumors were true, and this is the first time they suggestd something was in the works. His name was Tony, if any of you guys want to call and find out more.