Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Piston Oil Squirters

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 12:44 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Piston Oil Squirters

Has anyone experimented wit this? I was reading about the new Northstart motor last night and they have squirters directed @ the bottom of the piston to cool them, with this being a super charged engine. Apparently engineers found about 3 degrees worth of timing @ peak TQ with the cooling effect which helps to stave off detonation. If I gather right, the squirters are in the crank case secured to where the lifter valley is via one screw and I'm assuming oil comes from some kind of presure feed in that area. Has anyone tried to accomplish this on a Gen III block? If so, who and with what success? Would this be feaseable to accomplish given the architecture?
Old 04-02-2005, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Ive seen this done on boosted 4cyl cars.. I believe the oil is actually sprayed (pushed) up into the piston bottoms just by redirecting the oil being flung off the crank. I may be wrong here.. same thing though.. seen it used on high boost cars.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not worth it. Everyone with DSM's gets rid of the factory oil squirters because it takes away a good amount of oil flow from your bearings, etc.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eviltwins
It's not worth it. Everyone with DSM's gets rid of the factory oil squirters because it takes away a good amount of oil flow from your bearings, etc.
Right, but you misunderstand the reason. Plugging the squirters IS good to do if you need the oil for the mains, especially on a DSM where 150-250hp/L is not uncommon, but where less specific hp and greater oil pump efficiency is seen (as in an LS1 or Northstar), a squirter is a great way to allow more boost and timing.

SC-
Old 04-02-2005, 04:25 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by eviltwins

Ahhh...we'll just stick with the right tune up then. In theory it's a great idea, and if you have a system designed properly as to where it won't rob the main and rod bearings of of proper oil, it would be a good way to find more power.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

So is it actually pumped into the squirters? Meaning they drive off oil pump pressure?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Porsche has used squirters for years since 71 IFRC
Old 04-02-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Avengeance
So is it actually pumped into the squirters? Meaning they drive off oil pump pressure?
On the DSM's yes, it's a little nozzle that feeds from the same passageway as your main bearings. I didn't notice any more pinging or knocking on my DSM when I plugged the squirters for my motor rebuild.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the early 80's we would oil cool the bottoms of Mercedes diesel pistons, trying to run turbo with 15#'s boost. Invented a near smokeless diesel back then
Old 04-03-2005, 05:24 AM
On The Tree

my vw has them they work great on it. and i believe they only spray when the oil pressure is above 50 psi....
Old 04-03-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

The older TT 350Z's also had piston cooling.
On a pure drag race motor I think it would just add to windage, something most builders try to control. But on a motor that has to run at high boost levels for a extended period (road race, ralley) of time I can see where it would help.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:58 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Well, it got me to thinking if that you were building an all purpose engine, in order to find more power and longgevity, it wouldn't be a bad idea. I agree with a pure strip motor it becomes a waist but you never know. Challenge everything, believe nothing!
Old 04-03-2005, 12:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

The Subaru block to use, is the EJ22T, which left the factory with oil squirters. Its basically a drilling into the main oil gallery, directed towards the underside of the piston. The squirter itself is like a ball valve. It will only open above a certain pressure.
These engines will happily make around 500bhp+ with few worries.

Ford Sierra Cosworth engines ( UK 2.0 4 cyl ) also have oil squirters, but of different design. They have a small tubular rail taken from the oil pump, which directs oil jets to the underside of the pistons.
Again, these engines can readily make 500bhp+ with few worries.

As already mentioned, Porsche have been using them for years.

Most oil systems should easily cope anyway. If the oil pump can flow enough at say 2000rpm, how much more oil will it flow at 5000rpm ??? Most of it gets dumped via the relief spring anyway. Adding a few oil squirters shouldnt hurt.

Other question is, are they really needed in the first place ??? Even 7-800bhp FI on an LS1 is relatively mild given engine size.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:14 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Other question is, are they really needed in the first place ??? Even 7-800bhp FI on an LS1 is relatively mild given engine size.

Definately, but it's the added factor of staving detonation due to the cooling effect of the oil being put directly to the piston skirt. Less det. more timing, more power.

Quick Reply: Piston Oil Squirters