Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Phamspeed GT42 Kit PROBLEM(S)..JOHN@PHAMSPEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Phamspeed GT42 Kit PROBLEM(S)..JOHN@PHAMSPEED HELP

Well ****, got the turbo mounted today with the help of my buddy Frank(sscam68) Ran into a few snags which are pretty major...

Ground Clearance off the downpipe is rediculous...My car is the stock ride height and this thing won't clear from the looks of it. Need help on this fast.

Other angles of the DP...its as close as I want it to the steering rack and lines...any closer and it'll be rubbing. It has about 1 finger width of clearance and it won't line up with anything....if it were longer it'd be hitting the oil filter??

Is my DP made wrong? I can't see this fitting any other way than the way we have it installed.

ALSO....the oil drain comes out and runs into the cross over pipe I can route the hose under it but then it would have to tap into the oil pan at or near the oil level... Things aren't lining up right. John@phamspeed do you have ANY DECENT CLEAR PICS of the GT42 kit mounted up on anyones car?? I'd like to have the DP pics and how you routed the oil drain line from the bottom of the GT42 to the oil pan.

Thanks,
J
Old 04-09-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the size of that DP? 3" 3.5" 4"

since the front are up on ramps...and the back is not..wont things settle better when the front is on the groud?
Old 04-09-2005, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,303 Posts

thats no good,i hope john or james jumps on here soon
Old 04-09-2005, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MECHAM
what is the size of that DP? 3" 3.5" 4"

since the front are up on ramps...and the back is not..wont things settle better when the front is on the groud?
only slightly because the end of the pipe wont be facing down anymore but level.thats still some tight clearence,1 good bottom out and that pipes history
Old 04-09-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah the car is on ramps but man, does the clearance just look way out of whack and the DP is facing the oil filter?? I'll let the car down and repost some pics of the GC then but I doubt it'll get any better than that.
J
Old 04-09-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Post some pics of the car sitting on the ground if you can. Like to see what I am in for.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

agreed,thats why were waiting
Old 04-09-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

It looks properly installed. The pictures he posted up a while back show that really tight clearance to the steering shaft boot. There really needs to be some kind of shield there.

-Geoff
Old 04-09-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hi Geoff, yeah I remember the pics, but can't find em no more. It'd really help out right now. Another day down the tubes.

Here's more pics of the car on the ground sorry it took me a few minutes. My neighbor wanted to know what in the hell I was doing on the side of the house already

I have about 2.5 to 3.0 clearance there...

about 3.5 on the passenger side.

Man I need to see some pics of the GT42 kit on another car.
J
Old 04-09-2005, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

looks like you'll have to go to a custom muffler shop to get those bends right. especially on the downtube.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

That just doesnt look safe. One good dip in the road, chunk of asphalt, or a rigor mortis carcuss will kill that pipe and possibly push it into taking out other things.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

And why so many cuts/welds in this pipe? That looks like it could have easily been a solid pipe with mandrel bends.

Old 04-09-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

The probably don't have a mandrel bender at their shop yet and I can understand why those things are expensive and these guys are just starting out. I'm not bashing em at all. Please don't think that I am. I'm quite please so far with the kit. I've not run into many parts for our cars that did require some modding to work right.

I can mod the DP on my own, as its really in my capabilities to do so, but if I got a messed up pipe then I want another one ASAP. This one points right at my oil filter so that can't be right. The DP should also run flatly under the steering rack and not at an angle. This would have maximized ground clearance. Down pipe should be coming out of the turbo at a 90 deg angle from what we can see.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
And why so many cuts/welds in this pipe? That looks like it could have easily been a solid pipe with mandrel bends.

There are a few areas that could be improved to make building these kits more efficient for them. I am a design engineer for a small company that builds exhaust systems for diesel trucks to meet emissions, so I see/design stuff like this on a daily basis.

Thier welds are pretty good IMO. The guys at my shop are awesome at TIG and MIG welding and Phamspeeds are comparable.

Jer, my offer stands. If you need any fab work let me know. I'll start pricing out the bends and couplers that you need
Old 04-09-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool Frank and thanks A TON for your help today. Good to have an engineer on hand to figure out how to get the exhaust housing bolted up in a easy manner.

Yep see if you can get some 5 inch MS tubing or even aluminum and a 5inch coupler or 4.0 to 5.0 coupler if you can find one.
J
Old 04-09-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Man I need to see some pics of the GT42 kit on another car.
i thought u were the guinea pig
Old 04-09-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know there was one car before me tho....they had the pics of that one up on their site for a while. I'm pretty sure it was a GT42 car?? But other than that one I am the only other GT42 car. Hellraiser has a GT42 too, but he isn't putting his on for awhile.
J
Old 04-09-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

He is for me!!!!!! But frcefed98 is a big help to me. I will owe him something after it's all said and done.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Helps a ton, just by looking at that, I can see that mine is missing a 45 deg bend at the end of it. Its the part of with the two O2 bungs side by side...mine isn't there and this causes mine to point directly to the oil filter...I can fix that here. Mine also looks to have one section missing right in the middle of the DP. Yours has a slight bend to it(really small section of a 45 deg), mine doesn't its straight which causes a lot of clearance problems. Your DP is a lot different than mine WTF??
YOURS

MINE

You can see where mine is missing the section in the middle of the DP, that would help it curve around the steering rack...and you can see where mine is missing the 45 deg bend at the end to help avoid the oil filter....WTF??

I want one like yours, I bet it'll fit a ton better than the DP I have. Guess I got the friday night special huh?? That and I paid in full CASH(cashiers check but cash none the less) and had it the money sent 2 day USPS priority immediately after I ordered it. Told em, I want a LS1 GT42 kit, next day the money was on the way.
Guess thats what I get, header too far toward the passenger side fenderwell, had to cut my K member so it'll fit, cut my tranny lines to mount the turbo, and a DP that'll scrape when my 220lb's is in the car and goes over the slightest bump.
Not Good.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn buddy that sucks..... i know you will get it worked out though...... TTT for ya.
Kyle

Quick Reply: Phamspeed GT42 Kit PROBLEM(S)..JOHN@PHAMSPEED HELP