Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech vs. Procharger....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend picked up a D1SC for his 93 Z28 for 3600 bucks.....
Old 04-23-2005, 01:40 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my D-1SC ATI 8 rib+ Superdamper+ Injectors+ Fuel pump for around 5K shipped.
That was a good deal. Was it there polished version?
my friend picked up a D1SC for his 93 Z28 for 3600 bucks.....
Used right? That is still a good deal if it was in good shape.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
I appreciate your opinion, if 176 degrees is considered cool, and the slip issue is resolved by switching to a steel bracked instead of an aluminum one. Even on the hottest days driving around, the intake air in my car never sees more than 78 degrees when moving. My guess, would be that the water traveling through the air to water intercooler is much hotter, and being that it is sitting on top of the engine and the caseing is made of metal, I would imagine that it gets hot from just sitting there.

You can perform a small test for verification. Get in your vortech powered car, go down the street say a hard 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear run. Stop the car and feel the plumbing for the intake and the air to water intercooler.

When I do that even after driving all day in stop and go traffic, hard runs, 130mph runs, when I get out the intercooler is cold to the touch, and the intake plumbing is just shy of luke warm.

Being that we dont have double walled tubing, if the intake tube is warm, I would imagine that the heat in the plumbing is transferring to the intake air.

I am by no means saying that Vortech doesnt make a nice setup. I think it is very attractive, and very powerful and I would be using one if it were the only one on the market. However............

Well let me tell you what I feel about your opinion. I work at a place where we use closed loop cooling system's and they beat air to air heat exchangers hands down. Also you have to spend the extra cash on a FMIC because the ones you get from procharger are a joke. However................

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 04-23-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

I prefer Procharger.. I cant even remember the last time I saw or even heard of anyone using a Vortech where Im from. Around here its a given.. if your gonna get blown.. get the Procharger.

Procharger has developed a new bracket anyways.. and it doesnt slip. I dont know if they offer them in their kits yet but once they do the slipping will no longer be an issue.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:58 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Yeah around hear it's Vortech mostly.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i was to do a full hp is all that I care about blower, I would do a D1sc, SDCE 8 rib, OBX frontmount setup, Spal fan.

Just a few major components that I feel need to be upgraded from the "base" procharger kit.

But some other part of my goals for a FI setup include, no problems with belts, no need to retighten the blower belt, no worry about water being sucked into the motor from the low mount of the air intake, no worries about AC not working correctly since the factory high flow fan's were replaced with an inadequate replacement one.

There are benefits to both setups, My expierence with vortech blowers has a much better track record then prochargers. The headunits of both kits are great, but after dealing with converting the blowthrough procharges to draw through for decent drivability on fords, it leaves a bad impression.

Ryan
Old 04-23-2005, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow
If i was to do a full hp is all that I care about blower, I would do a D1sc, SDCE 8 rib, OBX frontmount setup, Spal fan.

Thats exactly what I did.. except I got my hands on the new procharger bracket. I did buy the SDCE setup but then was offered the new procharger bracket for a fraction of the SDCE setup... so I sold the SDCE 2 days after it was delivered to my house.

Im installing my stuff tomorrow actually.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

is the new procharger spring loaded?

Ryan
Old 04-23-2005, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow
is the new procharger spring loaded?

Ryan
No, not spring loaded. Ill have some pics tomorrow after we install this stuff.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going with Procharger. I have all of my parts on the way. Instead of ordering a kit, I found as much as I could used and ended up paying $3050 for everything including a race bypass valve, but without any of the fueling stuff. It took a little more time and I probably won't have a few of the little things come install time, but its worth it to save $2500. Once I buy a fuel pump, injectors, and gauges it should cost around $4k for everything.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I get my engine done, I plan on going with an F1 Procharger. For me, it has a lot ot do with being able to get a self contained unit. If Vortech made a their T-trim or like their YSI in a self contained, I would consider Vortech.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Well let me tell you what I feel about your opinion. I work at a place where we use closed loop cooling system's and they beat air to air heat exchangers hands down. Also you have to spend the extra cash on a FMIC because the ones you get from procharger are a joke. However................

Too bad you cant do that in your car and too bad your heat exchangers are as big as a car.

You dont have to buy a FMIC, the system works fine with the little ones. Several running around town here, making more than 700 RWHP. The FMIC is just a better way to go regardless of brand.

Its ok for you to disagree
Old 04-23-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Bryan when my car was on the dyno it made at least 6 or 7 pulls during the tuning process 4 of whitch were back to back and it made within 2hp every pull mind you the car was sitting still and only had the typical shop fan in front of it etc... I know the air tems arent as good as ATI'a A2A but I don't think they are as bad as you are trying to make them out to be etc... The belt issues are probalbly fixed with ther new 8 rib setup that is why I didn't say anything about it in the first post one thing the Vortech kit does have a little better setup on is changing the pullies and belts are very easy and I know the ATI's are a little more involved but it just depends on what you are going to do with the car. You may never plan on changing the pullies or haveing to change the belt etc... Both systems are good and you will find more ATI kits and so you will have more people makeing coments about them verses the Vortech. People say the ATI's are cheaper, but I didn't find that to be true when I was shopping. Oh and Tybrne just annnounced a price increase on the ATI's so if you are going to get one of them you better hury LOL! Good luck!

Unfortuneately the 8 rib setup does not fix the problem. The problem lies in the Aluminum bracket and its ability to flex. Mine was flexing so bad, the ribs on the bolts were imbedded in the aluminum. The only way to fix it for good is to use a steel bracket.

The SDCE piece is not a good solution IMO because the spring is going to weaken over time. The tensioner that works with the ATI bracket is still the best choice.

I dont think price should be a factor. IMO. You should by the unit that best serves your needs. The Procharger served mine. I think Vortech makes a very nice product, I just did not prefer their approach.

Thanks for being nice about it.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:29 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Oh there is nothing to get upset about it like I say if eveyone did the same how would we learn anything? I am sure the guy will make his choice on his own I was just trying to give a few details of what I have learned from my experience with this kit and how it has worked for me etc...So that he has a little info about the Vortechs as there are very few of us running around with these kits and so many ATI's that I knew the overwhelming masses would be out in force on the ATI's and so little on the Vortechs etc... Just trying to give what I know. Talk with you later.
Jeff
Old 04-24-2005, 03:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
I got my D-1SC ATI 8 rib+ Superdamper+ Injectors+ Fuel pump for around 5K shipped.
i paid 5200 for my vortech shipped
Old 04-24-2005, 04:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigbadblackws6
i paid 5200 for my vortech shipped
With 60lbs injectors and intank fuel pump?
Old 04-24-2005, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

I got my P-1sc with injectors, fuel pump, and 3-gauge pod with gauges for $3200 shipped. It only had about 3000 miles on it!
Old 04-24-2005, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
Too bad you cant do that in your car and too bad your heat exchangers are as big as a car.

You dont have to buy a FMIC, the system works fine with the little ones. Several running around town here, making more than 700 RWHP. The FMIC is just a better way to go regardless of brand.

Its ok for you to disagree

Yup. I could take pictures of small heat exchangers all day long but everyone has there own .02
Old 04-24-2005, 03:17 PM
9 Second Club

With 60lbs injectors and intank fuel pump?

$3200 complete with 45 SVO's and T rex. I spent the extra $120 to get the intank too.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
$3200 complete with 45 SVO's and T rex. I spent the extra $120 to get the intank too.

U mean $5200 there right? Still Procharger is cheaper