Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech vs. Procharger....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vortech vs. Procharger....

what are the ups and downs of each? which is best for LS1s?
Old 04-22-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about F-bodies, but in the C5 world the ProCharger is the way to go. I say this because of the tuner kits (ECS and A&A)..

Mark
Old 04-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Teching In

After dealing with both I would only ever get another ProCharger.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Procharger but since i have a C5 i'm going with the Maggie
Old 04-22-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

whats better as far as running boost on a stock bottom end LS1? what provides better cooling? the air to air or the water?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Launching!

turbo
Old 04-22-2005, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mulletwearingtadrive
whats better as far as running boost on a stock bottom end LS1? what provides better cooling? the air to air or the water?
air to water
Old 04-22-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mulletwearingtadrive
what are the ups and downs of each? which is best for LS1s?
After seeing a blower explode. This is the end result of your question.

The procharge has a self contained oiling system. When the blower exploded, parts of the impeller headed for the intercooler, but none made it to the intake.

The vortech, has, in my opinion several things against it.

1. Oil for the vortech comes from a tapped line in the oil pan. In the above situation, metal parts could have gotten back into the engine.
2. The vortech system (F-Bodies) sits ontop of the motor whereas the Procharger system is on the bottom. Heat rises, and it doesnt matter if you are moving or not. That means that there is going to be more heat soak on the vortech than the procharger which is under the engine.
3. The old conversation about air cooled or water cooled. How cool can antifreeze get moving through the engine.

In the end a blower is a blower is a blower, It is all the other pieces that are part of the system that should be questioned.

Not trying to rain on any vortech blowers, this was just an opinion.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't like how the Vortech clutters an already cluttered engine bay. ATI did a nicer job. Plus look at the price difference between the two kits. The ATI can be held for a lot less cash.

Bryan - good point, the air/water system will heat soak because... engines are hot . Although I'd like to know what temps the Vortech guys are seeing from their air/water systems.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Vortech has no slip issues, has its only fresh oil supply, air to water aftercooler with a radiator that continuously circulates cool water to the aftercooler. It is a well engineered and designed kit.

IF you buy an ATI kit you'll have to spend more money to fix the belt slippin issues.

look at time in sig for a bolt on vortech blower car, thru an a4. My kit I got polished so when I pop the hood I get lots of oohs and ahhs. It doesn't look that bad.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

VORTECH... get me som is right tho

get a vortech
Old 04-22-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it's kind of retarded that you have to cut your SS hood if you get the Vortech. Got Me SOM - How much did it have to get cut?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

You have to cut out about 6 inches on each side, it looks like angel wings when its done, lol! Yea it sucks to cut the hood but its not like the hood is functional anyway. Plus i'm getting the underneath painted so it isn't as obvious.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:29 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I am not going to say what I think is a better kit I will say that I am very happy with my Vortech kit and I am about to put the smaller pulley on it and I should pick up another 20 or so. The heat soak issue has never been an issue for me the system is very well designed. There have been studies done of the air temps on these cars and they are lower than with out the aftercooler even when the car is hot etc... The ati's AtoA do give lower air temps and are better to a point (HP). I don't have any belt slipping issues thats for sure. The hood I didn't like cutting it but after I was finished filling and smoothing everything in it looks great I get lots of compliments on it. Make your choice I will be selling my kit in the near future to make more HP so if you aren't doing anything right away keep me in mind I can save you a few $ and give you some priceless info etc...
Jeff
Old 04-22-2005, 11:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well I am not going to say what I think is a better kit I will say that I am very happy with my Vortech kit and I am about to put the smaller pulley on it and I should pick up another 20 or so. The heat soak issue has never been an issue for me the system is very well designed. There have been studies done of the air temps on these cars and they are lower than with out the aftercooler even when the car is hot etc... The ati's AtoA do give lower air temps and are better to a point (HP). I don't have any belt slipping issues thats for sure. The hood I didn't like cutting it but after I was finished filling and smoothing everything in it looks great I get lots of compliments on it. Make your choice I will be selling my kit in the near future to make more HP so if you aren't doing anything right away keep me in mind I can save you a few $ and give you some priceless info etc...
Jeff

Dont sell it put a T trim
Old 04-23-2005, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UnderPSI
After dealing with both I would only ever get another ProCharger.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:24 AM
TECH Addict

The new 8 rib ATI SC doesnt have slip at all. Im running one now with no problems. Go with ATI and never look back
Old 04-23-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
Vortech has no slip issues, has its only fresh oil supply, air to water aftercooler with a radiator that continuously circulates cool water to the aftercooler. It is a well engineered and designed kit.

IF you buy an ATI kit you'll have to spend more money to fix the belt slippin issues.

look at time in sig for a bolt on vortech blower car, thru an a4. My kit I got polished so when I pop the hood I get lots of oohs and ahhs. It doesn't look that bad.
I appreciate your opinion, if 176 degrees is considered cool, and the slip issue is resolved by switching to a steel bracked instead of an aluminum one. Even on the hottest days driving around, the intake air in my car never sees more than 78 degrees when moving. My guess, would be that the water traveling through the air to water intercooler is much hotter, and being that it is sitting on top of the engine and the caseing is made of metal, I would imagine that it gets hot from just sitting there.

You can perform a small test for verification. Get in your vortech powered car, go down the street say a hard 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear run. Stop the car and feel the plumbing for the intake and the air to water intercooler.

When I do that even after driving all day in stop and go traffic, hard runs, 130mph runs, when I get out the intercooler is cold to the touch, and the intake plumbing is just shy of luke warm.

Being that we dont have double walled tubing, if the intake tube is warm, I would imagine that the heat in the plumbing is transferring to the intake air.

I am by no means saying that Vortech doesnt make a nice setup. I think it is very attractive, and very powerful and I would be using one if it were the only one on the market. However............
Old 04-23-2005, 09:57 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bryan when my car was on the dyno it made at least 6 or 7 pulls during the tuning process 4 of whitch were back to back and it made within 2hp every pull mind you the car was sitting still and only had the typical shop fan in front of it etc... I know the air tems arent as good as ATI'a A2A but I don't think they are as bad as you are trying to make them out to be etc... The belt issues are probalbly fixed with ther new 8 rib setup that is why I didn't say anything about it in the first post one thing the Vortech kit does have a little better setup on is changing the pullies and belts are very easy and I know the ATI's are a little more involved but it just depends on what you are going to do with the car. You may never plan on changing the pullies or haveing to change the belt etc... Both systems are good and you will find more ATI kits and so you will have more people makeing coments about them verses the Vortech. People say the ATI's are cheaper, but I didn't find that to be true when I was shopping. Oh and Tybrne just annnounced a price increase on the ATI's so if you are going to get one of them you better hury LOL! Good luck!
Old 04-23-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

I got my D-1SC ATI 8 rib+ Superdamper+ Injectors+ Fuel pump for around 5K shipped.