Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Opinion on Hot parts turbo flange

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Opinion on Hot parts turbo flange

I was debating about making the flange at my work, and making it a little easier on myself since I am fabbing the kit. What do you guys think about a flange with a round hole mating up to a T4 flange. Obviously the round hole will overlap the T4 flange in some spots and cause turbulence. Are their any kits out there that have a round hole in the turbo flange on their hotside pipe (PTK, Pham, TTi)? I know Jordan Musser did it this way, but he never got it dynoed. I just to want to hurt the power potential. I made a quick Pro E model to show what I mean. The yeloow line is the profile of the T4 flange.
Attached Thumbnails Opinion on Hot parts turbo flange-flange.jpg  
Old 04-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why make one when you can get them cheap and it'll fit the way it should?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

That is a bad idea. The collector needs some sort of transition stage before the air hits the turbo. That will create a very in-eficient flow pattern with alot of unwanted restriction and turbulance. Not to mention the area of your, I am assuming 2.5" hole, is smaller then the 2"x3" area of the T-4 pattern. And that is NOT including the blockage you are getting from the overlap.

Why would you want to do that anyway??
Old 04-27-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by METAL MAN
Why make one when you can get them cheap and it'll fit the way it should?
I dont really have room for 5 inches worth of transition from circle to rectangular.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
That is a bad idea. The collector needs some sort of transition stage before the air hits the turbo. That will create a very in-eficient flow pattern with alot of unwanted restriction and turbulance. Not to mention the area of your, I am assuming 2.5" hole, is smaller then the 2"x3" area of the T-4 pattern. And that is NOT including the blockage you are getting from the overlap.

Why would you want to do that anyway??
Yes, it is a 2.5" diameter. I am very limited on space and dont have the room for a 5" transition piece. I just didnt know how other people were doing it.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:25 PM
9 Second Club

most of the t4 flanges out there for sale at turbo places are a 2.5" round hole. I have not experimented back to back to see any possible gains... I have done it both ways though.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

scan the inlet of the turbine housing of your turbo, import that image into Pro/E, and then use that drawing to make your model. dont use the two different shapes.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive seen alot with a hole instead of rectagle
Old 04-27-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

mines just the 2.5" hole.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RealQuick
I dont really have room for 5 inches worth of transition from circle to rectangular.
You trying to run one 2.5" into the turbo or transition two 2.5" tubes into the turbo? I'll show you how either way if you'd like without doing that hole flange idea?
Old 04-28-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by METAL MAN
You trying to run one 2.5" into the turbo or transition two 2.5" tubes into the turbo? I'll show you how either way if you'd like without doing that hole flange idea?
The plan was to have the 2 pipes (2.5" each) merge together at the flange. I would angle cut each pipe from the mid point of each pipe (so the ends are half circles). Then butt them together to form a full 2.5" circle again and mount the flange to that. This transition of two 2.5" pipes coming together will be about 2" long before it goes into the turbine.

Whats your idea metalman?

Mightymouse, the opening is only 2.5" circle going into your turbine like i had drawn up? Your making nice power too

Everyone else, thanks for input. I didnt know if anyone would answer this post.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Why don't you get a REAL t4 flange and then form your pipes to that shape instead of a 2.5" circle. Basically your way, you are taking and area of 9.82 square inches, and trying to cram it into a hole with an area of 4.91" . Plus the hole has to flat walls the gasses will hit that will probably bring the hole down to less then 4 square inches!! The turbo should be the smallest point in the system, not the flange before it.
Of course the car will run, but it will not be as efficient as the correct way it was designed for. It will not be much harder to make the 2 pipes merge into the 2"x3" area then it will the 2.5" hole. If you want MAX power, this is the way to go.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^what i was going to say.
if your merging the two pipes together then you can easily form them into the shape of the inlet. just takes some pliers and elbow grease.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
Why don't you get a REAL t4 flange and then form your pipes to that shape instead of a 2.5" circle. Basically your way, you are taking and area of 9.82 square inches, and trying to cram it into a hole with an area of 4.91" . Plus the hole has to flat walls the gasses will hit that will probably bring the hole down to less then 4 square inches!! The turbo should be the smallest point in the system, not the flange before it.
Of course the car will run, but it will not be as efficient as the correct way it was designed for. It will not be much harder to make the 2 pipes merge into the 2"x3" area then it will the 2.5" hole. If you want MAX power, this is the way to go.
I can have any flange made. I just give the drawing to my machinist and he'll make it for some beers I am unsure if I'd be able to get the pipes pounded out to the right shape. I knew a circle reduces the area, but it is the easiest way to go. I wanted people's opinions on this. Another idea was to have the two pipes come together. Weld the seam between them. At the exit of the pipe would be the perfect 2.5" circle profile. I would then go up abotu 1 inch and cut it off. The dotted line represents where the cut would be. This will give me an oblong shape with more area that is possibly easier to shape to a standard T4 flange.
Attached Thumbnails Opinion on Hot parts turbo flange-flange1.jpg  

Last edited by RealQuick; 04-28-2005 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Hot parts turbo flange