Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Phamspeed Budget kit retail prices now up

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kp
Figuring time, labor and materials in I bet they lost money on every kit they sold. Why do you think they are doing this - like everyone else they would like to be paid for their time. I swear some of you guys probably cuss out toll booth operators because the toll is too high

I kick myself for not ordering a set of tube manifolds, that was giveaway pricing on the hot parts before and I'm not surprised they quit making them. 4500.00 with an intercooler and all the pipes isnt that far ot of line, if you are bitching about wiring and buying a couple hundred worth of fans you best stay away from a forced induction car because by the time its all over that wil be the least of your concerns.

AHMEN!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Figuring time, labor and materials in I bet they lost money on every kit they sold. Why do you think they are doing this - like everyone else they would like to be paid for their time. I swear some of you guys probably cuss out toll booth operators because the toll is too high

I kick myself for not ordering a set of tube manifolds, that was giveaway pricing on the hot parts before and I'm not surprised they quit making them. 4500.00 with an intercooler and all the pipes isnt that far ot of line, if you are bitching about wiring and buying a couple hundred worth of fans you best stay away from a forced induction car because by the time its all over that wil be the least of your concerns.
I totally agree with this, their kit IS complete as they get.

If they were to bundle fuel components and other things to make it a true complete 100% kit they would stomp on other peoples current mods or plans, you can just as eaisly get that stuff elsewhere.

It also seems like some people think that F/I just just a simple mod like a cam that should just go on and work.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you dont like spending $$$ and we mean alot.. then FI isnt for you...........
Kyle
Old 05-18-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FI = BIG MONEY!!!!!!!

However - the price has gone up more than I hoped it would. STill an option BUT not as much of a deal as it was? IMHO
Old 05-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
If you dont like spending $$$ and we mean alot.. then FI isnt for you...........
Kyle
There is no such thing as a budget kit. You still have all the drivetrain to upgrade as well. Then the fuel system and tuning to go through. Next the Budget COMPLETE kit will be turbo kit (all components), 9" or 12 bolt, new clutch, new fuel system, 6pt Roll cage, and anything else you want as well. And some of you will want it for $2500. KEEP DREAMING!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

I think some of you guys got spoiled at the thought of a turbo kit for $2300. How much does an ATI or Vortech kit cost? How much is the STS which is a non-intercooled kit? What about the PTK that doesn't even come with a tubro? The closest one in regards to price and components is the TTi street kit which uses log style manifolds that nobody seems to like. I think everyone needs to look at the big picture and decide which one is best for them. And if you don't like a kit, don't bitch about why you don't like it and just buy something else.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Guys, the price went up because now it is a complete kit. I remember when we started making the kits, people were complaining about how they had to fabricate this and that. People kept on asking if we could make it complete if we charged more. Well, now it is complete. I mean every single piece you need to make it work. All the silicone couplers, t-bolt clamps, nuts, bolts, ect. Price would drop alot if you wanted the kit not complete but then you'll get customers that will complain about the kit not being complete.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Anyone remember Incon? That was about the most complete turbo kit there was/is for these cars. Fuel pump and regulator (some were flaky though) included.

$4500, they fit really well for aftermarket parts, had 99.9% of the pieces/parts you needed to get up and running. And it put them out of business and alot of people lost money in the deal.

If you've taken a look at the price of steel/stainless these days, I do a few times a week, you'd be amazed. There's probably 60%+ of the cost in materials.

Just for reference, stainless mandrel bends have gone up $15 to $20 PER bend in the last 2 years.

[soapbox]
My advise/opinion, if you can't afford it, don't buy it. If you can afford it, but think it's too much for what you get, build your own and let us know how much it costs you. And no, i don't me digging used parts of Ebay If you understand what this stuff costs, and what a person's time/labor are worth, then support the vendors/sponsors.

fast, cheap, reliable. Pick 2

[/soapbox]
Old 05-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
STS is a budget kit???? After you add everything that comes with the Phamspeed kit you end up spending as much or more, for a lesser kit....lol
I hope when you say lesser kit, you're talking about the STS kits

There are way more advantages to running a Phamspeed kit versus STS
Old 05-18-2005, 01:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I definitely mean the STS system. I applaud you for doing your kits, if you need anything just give us a shout.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:37 PM
m6z
12 Second Club

ya, the price has gone up quite a bit, but im still interested. Any guess when you will have one with ic up and running w/dyno sheet. I will be waiting on results.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

So lemme get this straight....those of you that are bitching are complaining that for $4500 you get a complete turbo kit? that's too expensive for you? If $4500 is too much then you need to stay away from FI.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1-7
I hope when you say lesser kit, you're talking about the STS kits

There are way more advantages to running a Phamspeed kit versus STS
I don't think anyone is going to argue that point .
Old 05-18-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

all the people complaing aoubt the kit being to much obvoiusly hasnt ever put together a FI system, sure they might have crunched a few numbers and think something like bolts and clamps will only run about $50 max, i laugh at that or ic piping and hoses from ebay $150

if your planning to go FI first add everything up you think your going to have to buy then double that figure. you will be sureprized all the little stuff youll need to get it up and running
Old 05-18-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Having just done my own twin turbo setup, I can vouch that there is major labor involved. I have almost $1300 in my headers alone and that is with making my own merge collectors that companys (Burns) charge another $1k for!! Price stainless and flanges once!!

I think the kit is exactly what it is, a budget kit. You want a race kit, you are talking double that. My kit was $4500 just in parts!! That is with NO labor!!

To everyone that thinks a complete turbo setup for $4500 is too much, look at the capability of it, and then look at the price of a comparable supercharger. Now THAT is overpriced if you ask me! Have you seen the price of a F1R kit! and clearly not half as much labor involved. Just my .02.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
i laugh at that or ic piping and hoses from ebay $150

if your planning to go FI first add everything up you think your going to have to buy then double that figure. you will be sureprized all the little stuff youll need to get it up and running
I assume your talking about me. Whats wrong with the polished aluminum 3" universal IC piping kits? They come with couplers and regular clamps. Probably need to replace them with $t-bolt clamps @ 10 a piece. If you look I actually wrote down $700 worth of part I needed to still buy, but I I said 700-1000 should take care of it. That leaves me $300 in misc. stuff.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ON EDGE WS6
There is no such thing as a budget kit. You still have all the drivetrain to upgrade as well. Then the fuel system and tuning to go through. Next the Budget COMPLETE kit will be turbo kit (all components), 9" or 12 bolt, new clutch, new fuel system, 6pt Roll cage, and anything else you want as well. And some of you will want it for $2500. KEEP DREAMING!

YEP....... When im done ill have about $2500 in just my fuel system....
It isnt cheap guys...... ha ha wish i would of known when i started..... Nothing i can do now..... the bug had bitten me..
Kyle
Old 05-18-2005, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Once you ve driven a turbo LS1. Its all worth it.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

so this kit does not use aftermarket headers...?
Old 05-18-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by half-n-half
so this kit does not use aftermarket headers...?
stock manifolds.

Quick Reply: Phamspeed Budget kit retail prices now up