Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Phamspeed Budget kit retail prices now up

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005 | 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good post KP! You nailed it right on the head
Old 05-18-2005 | 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

$3850... Quite a big jump.. I'm going to have to back out on this one, and order elsewhere and just go ahead and get manifolds. I imagine this kit is still a good deal though, considering. Just if I'm going to spend 4k.. might as well spend a little more to get the manifolds. For the person who is looking for a sweet 500-600rwhp street car, I imagine this kit will still be a great deal. Good luck with your sales!! I have a feeling we'll be seeing alot more dyno results soon now that the kit doesn't require quite as much work/time to install.

Peace,
Josh
Old 05-18-2005 | 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

yeah if i may chime in again...these hot parts are going to run roughly 2100 from what i have heard...

that is up $500 which is understandable. but they also lost the stainless steel construction, AND

do not come with headers...

so for $500 dollars more i get no stainless steel and no headers.

for $100 less you can get the PTK kit, which is made of the same type of material, goes through the k-member, and includes headers.

i am not understanding this.
wish i had ordered it before as well. i am not complaining about the price or anything. i am merely stating what i see and notice as far as price hike as i am not looking for a complete kit right now just the hot side.

Thanks
Louie
Old 05-18-2005 | 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

My gripe is not the price but the statements made about this "Turbo Kit". ****, I could buy 2 kits right now if I wanted to....

Complete "Kit" and a complete "System" are 2 different things in my book.

Kit means to me, buy parts, install them and then you are responsible for fuel requirements & tuning.

System means to me, includes just about everything to get it running including a programmer & injectors and/or fuel pump.

I know with anything aftermarket there is a certain amount of "tweaking" to make it work/fit, but to make claims that it's a complete kit is crazy. You have to buy fans on your own, make brackets to make them fit, redo the wires for the fans, and some how figure out how to mount the IC.

It's always nice to have other choices for car parts, but come on people, before you drop $4,000-5,000+ on any turbo kit, I expect to see pics of it on a car and include a nice install manual before I send someone, I don't even know, that kind of $$$$.

LT1-7 - Let's see some pics and dyno/track results of this "Budget" kit. That is what most people want before they buy.
Old 05-18-2005 | 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RealQuick
I assume your talking about me. Whats wrong with the polished aluminum 3" universal IC piping kits? They come with couplers and regular clamps. Probably need to replace them with $t-bolt clamps @ 10 a piece. If you look I actually wrote down $700 worth of part I needed to still buy, but I I said 700-1000 should take care of it. That leaves me $300 in misc. stuff.
not just you but others have said it
ya i bought some of that 3" tubing for $100 bucks, but it wasnt enough i had to buy another $100 to have enough
im just saying been there done that not enough.
Old 05-18-2005 | 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
Figuring time, labor and materials in I bet they lost money on every kit they sold. Why do you think they are doing this - like everyone else they would like to be paid for their time. I swear some of you guys probably cuss out toll booth operators because the toll is too high

I kick myself for not ordering a set of tube manifolds, that was giveaway pricing on the hot parts before and I'm not surprised they quit making them. 4500.00 with an intercooler and all the pipes isnt that far ot of line, if you are bitching about wiring and buying a couple hundred worth of fans you best stay away from a forced induction car because by the time its all over that wil be the least of your concerns.
COuldnt have said it better! Bunch of titty babies in here!
Old 05-18-2005 | 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
not just you but others have said it
ya i bought some of that 3" tubing for $100 bucks, but it wasnt enough i had to buy another $100 to have enough
im just saying been there done that not enough.
Well, I have plan this out for awhile and understand I made need a few more pieces of tubing here and there, etc. I was trying to point out that you can buy components for a kit in the ~$3000 range, but labor is what costs money. I am doing my own labor, so its free Nothing wrong with DIY kit if your so inclined.
Old 05-18-2005 | 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Well, I have plan this out for awhile and understand I made need a few more pieces of tubing here and there, etc. I was trying to point out that you can buy components for a kit in the ~$3000 range, but labor is what costs money. I am doing my own labor, so its free Nothing wrong with DIY kit if your so inclined.

i will be bored all winter long....

not to mention it is easier to spend $5k in 10 $500 increments than it is to spend $5k all at once..at least for me...
Old 05-18-2005 | 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Thats a pretty good price!

I am thinking about sending John my car to have a custom kit done with a T88

NA$TY-TA
Magnafuel pump?
Old 05-18-2005 | 03:55 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by half-n-half
yeah if i may chime in again...these hot parts are going to run roughly 2100 from what i have heard...

that is up $500 which is understandable. but they also lost the stainless steel construction, AND

do not come with headers...

so for $500 dollars more i get no stainless steel and no headers.

for $100 less you can get the PTK kit, which is made of the same type of material, goes through the k-member, and includes headers.

i am not understanding this.
wish i had ordered it before as well. i am not complaining about the price or anything. i am merely stating what i see and notice as far as price hike as i am not looking for a complete kit right now just the hot side.

Thanks
Louie
PTK kit does NOT include a turbo for the price your talking about.
Old 05-18-2005 | 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

I sent you an e-mail, you need to call me ASAP
ed
Old 05-18-2005 | 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stoleit
PTK kit does NOT include a turbo for the price your talking about.

yup, and the 2100 hot side of the phamspeed kit that i was quted via email doesnt either...
Old 05-18-2005 | 04:18 PM
On The Tree

no complaints here on the price, but it will be enough of a increase for me to go for the ptk instead. i figure $1600(with turbo) more to get coated tubular manifolds and no ground clearance issues. well worth it imo.
Old 05-18-2005 | 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

john was an awesome guy, appears to build an awesome kit, and i was very interested in his kit, however i think that it is not right for me anymore, which is fine. i still think that it is an awesome product. i am just looking for a kit with manifolds. here is the email that i recieved from john who was very prompt about answering me even though he was extremely busy. A+ for that...

"for just the hotside you're looking at $2100 retail. This is complete
as in all
the way back to the catback, something we didn't offer before. Also,
this is
price for all the fittings, gaskets, nuts and bolt you will need. I
can quote
you for only piping but you will need all these little things anyways
and is
easier to buy from me than to go out looking for all the small stuff

Let me know"

unless i am wrong i believe that this does not include manifolds. if i am wrong i apologize and would like to know myself... because then i may still be interested.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2005 | 04:33 PM
Restricted User

Holy ****, some people Billiumss comes to mind first, need to realize the world doesnt revolve around them. If you got that much money, go contract some fabricator to build you a ******* car that only requires you to put in gas, or is that too much to ask of you? Get real. I have debated over FI, since I am a Nitrous Junkie, since I bought my car 3 yrs ago. I know its costly, and no matter what, if I am going to install it, there will ALLWAYS be some fabricating/placement moving, wiring or something,......thats why shops get paid to install ****, cause they have to modify something along the way that you dont want to! I too wish I would have been able to get the budget kit two weeks ago, but I'm not bitching about the new price. Why? These guys are making an excellent kit, and need to make some $ for their trouble, work, labor, or intentionally designing a KIT that requires the end user to buy some ******* fans, holy ****, stop the welding boys, we aint got fans nobody will bye this kit. Since I never got pics from PTK when I have emailed countless times, I would say their customer service is need of a revamp, obviously some ppl have needed CS from Phamspeed enough for them to consolidate with another shop. Whooptie ******* doo. You dont like the price, you dont want to relocate something, get the **** out of this section. Griping complete.

John Pham, you still have an excellent deal going on. However I would like some questions answered so I will email/pm. Thanks.

Charlie
Old 05-18-2005 | 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

I think some people are more shocked about the price increase vs the actual price.....I fully understand how expensive FI is, thats why I haven't dove in head 1st yet.

But again I was more shocked at the increase....from roughly 2500 to 4500 is quite the increase no matter how you slice it.....thats a nice set of heads right there
Old 05-18-2005 | 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well said KP and CAT3,

For 4500 you get a complete kit with FMIC and charge pipes AND T BOLT CLAMPS AND GOES FROM THE DP TO THE CATBACK? I think thats an awesome deal to make up for the loss of tubular manifolds. Fans and a rewire for said fans are a walk in the park for almost anyone. Brackets for fans? Don't need em as the slip infront of the radiator quite nicely and don't move around. I could understand the mild steel gripe but not that much...you are talking about exhaust pipes, not headers...which really isn't too big of a deal, have the hot parts coated or DIY and be done with it.

The guy has to make a profit, he wasn't making too much if any with the tubular manifold kits, glad I jumped on it while I could....you all should have done the same..there were hints that prices would be going up a long time ago.

This is classic and I mean no disrespect:
from roughly 2500 to 4500 is quite the increase no matter how you slice it.....thats a nice set of heads right there
Find me a set of heads that will produce more power than this turbo kit will PERIOD. Stop kidding yourselves.

I've had TWO supercharger kits before Phamspeeds turbo kit. Both from big companies, Powerdyne and Procharger. Both were suppose to be complete kits....WHERE THEY? NO! I had to fabricate and tweek both kits for em to work and operate on my car...just like anything made for these damn f-bodies.

FI is fun, but a real headache and a massive drain on the ol wallet. You have to be serious about FI before jumping into it. 2500 to 4500 isn't bad, you get all the silicone, FMIC and IC pipes and clamps and exhaust routing to the catback. Phamspeed has knocked down fabrication, tweeking or DIY time by about 90% by offering the kits like this. It all adds up if you were to do this stuff yourself, exhaust pipe routing, IC pipes, silicone, t bolts(3.00 bucks a piece BTW I have over 10 alone on my set up) Like I said it all adds up. Pham has done all the hard work for you, his labor saves you time, less time doing fab stuff is more time driving your car.

If he was offering this kit when I bought mine, I would have gone this route over the tubular manifolds, simply because it would require much less work on my end. I'd still have to do some fab and tweeking but not as much as i've done on the kit I currently have.

TTT this is great deal for people wanting a good kit.
J
Old 05-18-2005 | 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

So is it going to be the complete kit, hot parts, or nothing, or will we still be able to buy certain parts? Like before if you didn't need a charge pipe it was $200 off. I am interested in the kit, but I've already got my intercooler and all pipes with it already.

Last edited by BAT TA; 05-18-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2005 | 05:59 PM
Restricted User

I would PM John and make sure, but I am quite sure you could still get a credit for no CP if you already have the FMIC. He will be the authority of course, but I dont see why he would deviate from that since its still his goal to serve our community.
Old 05-18-2005 | 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT1-7
I hope when you say lesser kit, you're talking about the STS kits

There are way more advantages to running a Phamspeed kit versus STS
I'm buying one of these two kits in the near future. What are the advantages? Besides an opinion. What are the limitations of each? The benefits of each? As a consumer trying to make an informed purchase, I would definitely like a comparison against your biggest direct competitor for fbody budget turbo solutions. I have seen quite a few write ups for STS, but have not seen a whole lot for phamspeed. Nonetheless I am still interested in what seems to be a capable product and would like to see more info.

Quick Reply: Phamspeed Budget kit retail prices now up