Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My 24 hour Pham single install.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pay no attention to the front bumper i havent had time to sand it down adn paint since the accident. Wasnt a bad accident just hit in all the right spots. Thanks

John
Old 05-23-2005, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Old 05-23-2005, 11:23 PM
9 Second Club

BAP = Boost a pump. I have a T rex, and a racetronix plug and play fuel pump and harness on the way along with 60 #'s injectors. Sounds like a badass project. Hope your stock block holds up

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 05-24-2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

--- i must add , this is a pretty sweet kit , some details left out of install but looks BADASS! Keep in mind lowered cars this is not for you since the IC pipes go under the front crossmember it was worth every second of labor to watch that thing move ! congrats John
Old 05-23-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what size intercooler is that?
Old 05-23-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

watch that oil drain line, looks like its sitting on the crossover...
Can you clock the compressor side of the turbo upwards to pull the pass side IC pipe up and can you tilt the TB elbow level with the radiator to bring the driver side IC pipe up too? Both look real low. On my GT42 kit the pass side IC pipe hangs low but hugs the radiator support tight, but I have the driver side going through the foglight box...
On the alternator, is the belt touching the thermostat housing, looks close.

Looks like my kit...almost...

J
Old 05-24-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya the belt from the alt belt does touch the water neck there, but only when the belt vibrates. It have about a half inch clearance when it is idling or not running. I took it for a little burn up the road and it is bogging like hell and sputtering but as soon as the turbo kicks in and uses those injectors it rips lol. Definatly shouldnt be on it without a tune but i couldnt resist.
With the oil return line it is as good as it gets. It does touch teh swaybar but nothing else. If i put the line any farther back it would be at the same height as it is now as the hose would have to go over the crossmember adn that is as high as the hole is now.
My IC pipe is a little low in the front, but i think that ill be ok. I dont feel like messing around with them any more as im suire that i will **** them uip and end up with a mess on my hands. The worst incline that i have to encounter in my day is my driveway adn i navigated that just fine.
The IC is is the biggest that John offers it is 24x12x3.5 core size. So you cant compare it to teh intercooler that ls1speed sells as they measure from the end of the outlet to the end of the outlet. Effectively adding alot fo size to the measurement.
Well I thank Mike and Trevor for the pics. And i hope yaqll enjoy them. Ill be hitting the ****** rollers finally tomorrow so ill have dyno info then. Thanks

John

Last edited by 99SS-T; 05-24-2005 at 12:51 AM. Reason: opps
Old 05-24-2005, 01:29 AM
Restricted User

John, good luck on the tuning and Dyno...will be checking back in on this one for some numbers. Is the tuner familiar with turbo apps? Hope so.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:52 AM
NKAWTG...N

lot of those pics dont work, but looks good. it looks like they could have easily made that clearance a little more by making harsher angles on the pipes, but i guess theres a trade off of performance/flow there... ah either way im jelous.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SS-T
Ya the belt from the alt belt does touch the water neck there, but only when the belt vibrates. It have about a half inch clearance when it is idling or not running. I took it for a little burn up the road and it is bogging like hell and sputtering but as soon as the turbo kicks in and uses those injectors it rips lol. Definatly shouldnt be on it without a tune but i couldnt resist.
With the oil return line it is as good as it gets. It does touch teh swaybar but nothing else. If i put the line any farther back it would be at the same height as it is now as the hose would have to go over the crossmember adn that is as high as the hole is now.
My IC pipe is a little low in the front, but i think that ill be ok. I dont feel like messing around with them any more as im suire that i will **** them uip and end up with a mess on my hands. The worst incline that i have to encounter in my day is my driveway adn i navigated that just fine.
The IC is is the biggest that John offers it is 24x12x3.5 core size. So you cant compare it to teh intercooler that ls1speed sells as they measure from the end of the outlet to the end of the outlet. Effectively adding alot fo size to the measurement.
Well I thank Mike and Trevor for the pics. And i hope yaqll enjoy them. Ill be hitting the ****** rollers finally tomorrow so ill have dyno info then. Thanks

John
Cool I'll look foward to your dyno numbers. I had to do the same thing, put the pedal down a lil before I had a tune in it, but...I had my old blower tune in it so it should be safe for awhile.

Me and my buddy sscam68 remade the alt bracket so the belt would'nt go anywhere near the thermostat housing. So all is good there, glad I wasn't the only one that experienced it.

You can always cut the IC tubing or remake it to fit your car a lil better, its pretty easy. Find a friend who welds and you're set.

Yeah I hear ya on the oildrain back line, I wish the turbo sat about an inch higher so that it give the oil line more clearance and a better run down hill.

Good luck and post up a vid of that beast on the dyno. Glad to see there are two of us up and running.
J
Old 05-24-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well in a effort to be cheap i didnt get new spark plug wires.....I think you see where this is going. 2.5 hours of driving in the rain and 500 later i make 415 at the wheels with 5 cylinders adn 5 psi....Good start but well below expectations. I do have a video if the first pull but no point of posting a fucked up pull.
The tuner is familiar with boosted cars. They are REAL big on teh eastside here. I learned today that thier name is not cause of the side of the country they are in, they just happen to be in a little area called eastside. All teh **** in the area has that name. The wires are coming tomorrow and ill be back ont eh rollers around noon tomorrow. Lucky for me he felrt bad and will tune it tomorrow for free.
As far as cutting the pipes, they may look low but they havent hiot anythign yet and i have a very articulated driveway from the road in front of it. So if i havent hit it then i will be set on 99% of the rest of the real world.
The car sounds SICK under boost with teh atmosphere dump. I would have turned the boost lower if the wastegate spring wasent a 5#'r. With ti runing liek shti with the wires i woudl liek to make as little stress as possible atm. Well will ahve videos and dyno graphs tomorrow. Thanks

John
Old 05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Restricted User

Damn, sorry to hear about that. Good luck with the day tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your saying the plugs and plug wires were bad???
Lil more info on what all was wrong......
Im sure others are wondering also....... slow down a lil also when typing your thinking faster then your hands can type and kinda making it hard to read sometimes...
Kyle
Old 05-24-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to play a online RPG and everyone types fast adn most dont make sense if ya aint used to it. Sorry. As far as the problem it is jsut that the wires are stock and arent working correctly. He says that #'s 2 4 5 and 6 cylinder are having misfires and that # 5 isnt sparkin at all. Checked the wire looked fin so i changed it with another stockl wire that they had there and that cured #5. I tried the same with 1 of the other cylinders adn it is still having a little issue in teh other cylinders. when the car gets to 5k it falls on its face. The graph looks like he let of the throttle it drops so fast. So he looked at all teh available info and says that the wures are fucked. So i have new aftermarket wires comin tomorrow mornin from thunder. I will be praying that this fixes it all. Thanks

John
Old 05-24-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the it falls on its face at 5k, it also could be valve float.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is that possible? I never heard of that happening to anyone else with a stock engine and such low PSI and haveing valve float. I thought that was what happened at real high rpm's. Like 7k area if ya dont have upgraded valve train. Changing the springs aint bad we did it on my buds car the other day so if this ends up looking like this is the problem ill have to get some springs and do it up. Thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 09:44 PM
chronic masturbator

yea sounds like springs to me as well, reguardless you will prolly need them post up the dyno run so we can see what it looks like.

later
Gary
Old 05-24-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont have any of the graphs from the dyno. I was too pissed to be thinkin straight. I took 3 pulls. This is the only pull that dropped like this. There is a large amt of misfiring so im hoping that wires fix it. Ken at Eastside seems sure that this is the problem as he had this same exact thing happen to another turbo ls1 that came there. He showed me a side by side of the 2 graphs, mine and the other FI ls1, adn it was almost exact. His was alot smoother on the curve but teh drop in power was almost exact the same. He called the guy to find out exactly what he did to combat this and the guy said that plugs and wires is all. So cross ya fingers, I am, and il have a update tomorrow. If it goes well ill post the video and some graphs. Thanks

John
Old 05-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Restricted User

I remember looking at the NON_SPONSORS graphs he used to post, some of the first ones were like, valve float and IIRC was around 5psi. He claimed "totally stock" engine yet had already swapped springs and on and on. Anyway, very possible the wires will fix some if not all the problems, but the next step will be to swap springs. I am sure the shop will give that cue tomorrow if you mention it to them. Good luck.

Charlie
Old 05-24-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Charlie you think that raising the boost woudl cure the problem? You say that it was at 5 PSI in thier car also, is that just cause that is what they base lined it at and then fixed it immeaditly? Im betting that the springs were changed before they turned it up. Damn i dont wanna buy any more ****. Just throwing money at the damn thing at this point. Well i hope i dont need springs. I jsut wanna make power now dammit. lol oh well. Thanks

John

Quick Reply: My 24 hour Pham single install.