Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

? on boost controller and boost

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? on boost controller and boost

Iput a manual boost controller on my sts turbo camaro and it works good but it seems that the boost builds a little slower than without it .is it just in my head or somthing else I have full boost before 4000 but the boost doesnt spike as quick.could it be the vac. lines to the wastgate I added about 6" of line.or could it be I need to turn up the boost controler a little.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

well I solved the problem the vac. tube was a little two long shortened it about 5 in. and now it boosts faster than without the controller.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

lol, he answered his own question.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:42 PM
NKAWTG...N

i lov it when they do that. lol, anyway, thats weird that just some extra vac tube will have a noticable effect on spool.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 496 Likes on 346 Posts

Any bets on whether there was a pinhole in that extra length of tube leaking boost?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I saw a similar problem on my Dodge STS. I ran the WG source all the way to the manifold ( nearly 8 feet of tubing! ) due to a difference between the intake tube pressure and manifold. Provided more boost but spooled slower. I also reduced the spiking during shifts.
It can also make a difference where the compressor tap is located. Again tried a port near the compressor housing and one near the outlet. Outlet had slightly less boost but spooled up quicker.
Still learning about turbo basics, fun but confusing sometimes!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

so where would be a good place to tap in on an ls1 to get max performance??
Old 06-10-2005, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

I run my perssure hose for the wastgate right off the turbo but I dont have a fmic if you do it has to be after.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by boosted99camaro
I run my perssure hose for the wastgate right off the turbo but I dont have a fmic if you do it has to be after.
Yep, after the FMIC but before the MAF. There will be a pressure drop in the IC due to restriction and cooling effect ( cooler = denser/less pressure ).
Old 06-10-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

i dont understand..how do you run it off of the turbo? do you put a nipple on the piping thats going to the intake??? please explain this more
Old 06-11-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fletchls1
i dont understand..how do you run it off of the turbo? do you put a nipple on the piping thats going to the intake??? please explain this more
There is a drilled hole in the compressor housing ( actually 2 of them, one is plugged ). That is where the barb is located for the pressure source for the WG. If/when I install an IC I will plug up the hole and move the WG source after the IC so I can get a proper pressure reading ( again due to restriction and drop from cooler air temps ).
The closer to the pressure source, the turbo compressor, the better the signal will be to the WG. It also helps reduce pressure spiking during shifts if you have an auto or do not run a BOV.
The rear mount turbos make this difficult at times, especially when an IC is thrown into the mix. The underhood models can use the intake manifold for an ultimately best source ( this is the actual pressure the engine is seeing ). I will end up with some type of inline IC near the turbo to keep the pressure line to the WG as short as possible.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Well i just got done looking my turbo over and i found no holes like you were talking about..so i guess the only option i have is running the 8 feet of hose up to the front
Old 06-11-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I think STS drills out the holes before it leaves the shop.
I would have a bung installed just after your IC for the WG source, whatever the length is.
Just think, if you blow out a fuel line you got PLENTLY of extra hose to use!
Old 06-12-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

im going non intercooled at this point
Old 07-07-2005, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

I hate dragging up somebody else's thread, but my question was concerning the reference. If I have a FMIC and had the boost controller would it not be less tubing that I have to run to the WG if I took it right off the turbo since my boost controller should be regulating the pressure better?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reocamaro
I hate dragging up somebody else's thread, but my question was concerning the reference. If I have a FMIC and had the boost controller would it not be less tubing that I have to run to the WG if I took it right off the turbo since my boost controller should be regulating the pressure better?
That is the ideal scenario. But the FMIC, or any IC for that matter, that is cooling the charge efficiently will cause a pressure drop ( cooler air is denser and occupies less space, like in the winter your tire pressure drops vs summer ). You will also get a drop in pressure due to IC restriction which varies depending on the quality of your IC.
This means that if you are running the WG signal off the turbo housing the motor will see a lower boost pressure. You can compensate with an adjustable boost controller but if you do not have one, you will lose boost at the manifold. If no controller run the WG signal tap after the IC for more accurate results.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

I do have an adjustable boost controller, the two stage electronic boost controller from STS. I'm not quite sure how that works. If I have it turned off and it's running the default setting is that going to help me maintain 5 lbs. if I tap right off the turbo and not up next to the manifold. I think that might be causing my excessively long spool up time. Hmm.. thanks again.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reocamaro
I do have an adjustable boost controller, the two stage electronic boost controller from STS. I'm not quite sure how that works. If I have it turned off and it's running the default setting is that going to help me maintain 5 lbs. if I tap right off the turbo and not up next to the manifold. I think that might be causing my excessively long spool up time. Hmm.. thanks again.
Yes it can. I tapped off the intake also and noticed a longer delay in spool time. It also got 1-2 lbs more boost than off the turbo housing. If you do change the tap you will notice a drop in pressure on your gauge. Just turn up your boost regulator to compensate.
BTW, the STS dual stage works like most other controllers. The regulator reduced the pressure signal to the WG, thus making it open later ( more boost ). There is a switch that toggles between passing the WG signal from the default tap or across the regulator. If you want to keep your "stock" 5psi with the intercooler on the default setting you might need to change the WG spring to a higher pressure rating. The TiAL 5psi spring is red, not sure what the next one up is tho. Check the TiAL website for the exact values.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

I'd like to thank boosted99camaro for a.) Using his thread to solve my problem and b.) Stealing the solution to get my car running smoother. Thanks again, Boosted. How's your car been running?

Quick Reply: ? on boost controller and boost