Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Block ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Block ????

I will be going turbo and wanted to know if I should invest in another shortblock. Everything else will be upgraded. I currently have a 348 forged shortblock. Should I go with like an iron 410ci forged shortblock instead. I will have around 18000.00 - 23000.00 to spend on my new setup.

I am gonna look to put 700-900rwhp down. Not sure if I'm going single or twin yet either. I know 900 will require an iron block though but what about in the 700 range?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could just throw some forged rods a pistons in your current block, should keep you close to your price range and it should be able to handle 700rwh
Old 06-15-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
you could just throw some forged rods a pistons in your current block, should keep you close to your price range and it should be able to handle 700rwh
Did you read his post?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:57 AM
...with cheese.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With that money go ahead and get a stroked iron block with a big single and custom forward facing manifolds thats just me though... You should have quite a bit left over to do whatever else you want, suspension... wheels tires... blah blah whatever floats your boat.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wet 1
Did you read his post?
LOL, I did the same thing when I first glanced at the thread...thought that I read that his budget was 1,800-2,300

To be quite honest, I think people over-simplify building a shortblock that will be able to support 900rwhp to the tire...there are only a few shops/individuals that have done it successfully and had the motor stay together for extended periods of time.

Give Kurt at W2W a call...they will set you up with the right parts for what you want to do. ----------------------->>>
Old 06-15-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I completely agree with Phate. The guys make 700-900 rwhp aren't doing it on $2,000 shortblocks. Also, 346ci is plenty for 700 rwhp.

Mark
Old 06-15-2005, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

I don't want to spend 10K on a new shortblock but am willing to spend about 6-7K on one. I just didn't want to do it if it wasn't necessary. I will sell my forged 348 to offset that cost as well. What sponsors have done the most high HP FI blocks?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Well I just shot W2W an E-mail, lets see if they get back to me!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
I don't want to spend 10K on a new shortblock but am willing to spend about 6-7K on one. I just didn't want to do it if it wasn't necessary. I will sell my forged 348 to offset that cost as well. What sponsors have done the most high HP FI blocks?

What components are in your FORGED motor right now???
Why spend more $$ when you dont have to and it can be used in other areas...
Look at Harlan.... over 1000HP on a stock crank...
If its higher Comp. right now just buy a new set of Low Compression pitons and a good set of rings. Main studs, head studs, good oil pump and timing set and that should do it fo the lower end. Set of 6.0L heads, Turbo cam and what ever turbo kit you choose and spend the rest were it needed to put that kind of power to the ground..... ie suspension and drivetrain. Dont forget a good fuel system also... speed inc sells a good setup. Now injectors and tuning is up to you......
who is going to be installing it and tuning it???????
Kyle
Old 06-15-2005, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
If its higher Comp. right now just buy a new set of Low Compression pitons and a good set of rings. Main studs, head studs, good oil pump and timing set and that should do it fo the lower end. Set of 6.0L heads, Turbo cam and what ever turbo kit you choose and spend the rest were it needed to put that kind of power to the ground..... ie suspension and drivetrain. Dont forget a good fuel system also... speed inc sells a good setup. Now injectors and tuning is up to you......
Kyle
It has stock crank, lunati pro mod rods(supposed to be pro billet but there was a mix up), diamond pistons and rings, ARP main studs, federal mogul bearings, 04 LS6 block, with ARP head studs.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Speed inc is doing the install and tuning. I do whatever I can through them!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

HPE is making some great stuff right now(including my motor) give them a ring,they're very conpetitive pricewise as well.you'll stay below your price range and IMHO you dont need an iron block to make 700rwhp,which adds weight as well.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Kyle
I doubt that Matt would recommend using the stock crank in that power range...he is just a crazy ****.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Phate
I doubt that Matt would recommend using the stock crank in that power range...he is just a crazy ****.

Yep, don't try it at home

I've since gone to a steel crank. My target EP/MPH range and a broken crank don't mix anymore

I never figured it would live as long as it did. But I have no problem using an aluminum block and stock crank in the truck for daily driver duty at 500 to 600 RWHP
Old 06-15-2005, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

Shot HPE an e-mail as well so we'll see.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

shoot me a pm and ill tell you what they charged me.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2khawk
Yep, don't try it at home

I've since gone to a steel crank. My target EP/MPH range and a broken crank don't mix anymore

I never figured it would live as long as it did. But I have no problem using an aluminum block and stock crank in the truck for daily driver duty at 500 to 600 RWHP
Yeah, especially running a slick if your motor lets go at those speeds it's a scary proposition. A bit of coolant under your tires at 180 MPH and your car is done for.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know you dont reccomend it Matt, but like your saying it should be fine with 700hp...

on the other note all im trying to say is the HP you are shooting for doesnt have to be made with a brand new motor.... it can be done with what you have and just add a new set of pistons, rods and a new FORGED crank if you like. The same block CAN be used and a 408 is not needed to make that kind of power.
Thats all im trying to say......
Kyle
Old 06-15-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Kyle, I don't recommend the 1k+ HP on a stocker.

As for the 600 to 800 range, I personally have logged many street and track miles at that level with the car before it became what it is. I put 45k miles on the crank the car came with 25k of that with boost and most of it in the 600+ rwhp range. Had it fluxed when i did a built motor, and no signs of problems.

I lost that crank to spun mains 1k miles into the first built motor, block too although the stock block was in great shape after 45K miles on the factory short.

The next motor after the mains was another stock block and crank. That motor was 700rwhp, the setup before i ditched the incons. 10.doh in a 6 speed, probably 8k street miles. no crank issues, had a crack in a couple liners due to improper use of solid mounts at the motor and trans.

Next setup was the 66's, motor plated, stock block and crank. That setup went 8.29, 170+. I had a lifter fail mid season last year and destroy the bottom end. I rebuilt is the same way after the lifter, cept for aluminum rods

That block is now in my truck, along w/ the pistons. But i'm using the crank that came in the truck, since the race motor would have needed ALOT of mallory to balance after having aluminum hung on it.

So i've got no concern taking a block that made 1k+ and reusing it in my daily driver. Sure it's a little rattley from the piston to bore being the race setup, but i could care less

testing your luck at 900 rwhp (well over 1k crank) on a stock crank is the gamble you take. That's all i'm saying

Oh yeah, all my past motors have been stock displacement.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by y2khawk
Kyle, I don't recommend the 1k+ HP on a stocker.

As for the 600 to 800 range, I personally have logged many street and track miles at that level with the car before it became what it is. I put 45k miles on the crank the car came with 25k of that with boost and most of it in the 600+ rwhp range. Had it fluxed when i did a built motor, and no signs of problems.

I lost that crank to spun mains 1k miles into the first built motor, block too although the stock block was in great shape after 45K miles on the factory short.

The next motor after the mains was another stock block and crank. That motor was 700rwhp, the setup before i ditched the incons. 10.doh in a 6 speed, probably 8k street miles. no crank issues, had a crack in a couple liners due to improper use of solid mounts at the motor and trans.

Next setup was the 66's, motor plated, stock block and crank. That setup went 8.29, 170+. I had a lifter fail mid season last year and destroy the bottom end. I rebuilt is the same way after the lifter, cept for aluminum rods

That block is now in my truck, along w/ the pistons. But i'm using the crank that came in the truck, since the race motor would have needed ALOT of mallory to balance after having aluminum hung on it.

So i've got no concern taking a block that made 1k+ and reusing it in my daily driver. Sure it's a little rattley from the piston to bore being the race setup, but i could care less

testing your luck at 900 rwhp (well over 1k crank) on a stock crank is the gamble you take. That's all i'm saying

Oh yeah, all my past motors have been stock displacement.
spoken like a tru champ.

Quick Reply: Block ????