Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Plug wires...what Truck wires are the longest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plug wires...what Truck wires are the longest?

I found out what was causing my misfire. I went to regap my plugs today and I found that the #8 plug wire was broken. I normally do my own work, but I didn't install this set of plug wires. I did order them new and had a shop do a Leak Down for me. Well they must have broken the wire. When I went to take off the #8 plug wire the boot came off so easily, I stuck it back on to try it again..same thing. When I felt the tip of the spark plug it had the end of connection broke off on it.

So I am not going to buy expensive wires again. I will stick with some GM wires. I tried doing a search for Truck Wires and Coil Pack Relocation but I couldn't find the thread that talked about different size Truck Wires.

I remember the thread discussed a 9.5" Truck Wire. I would like to use these with some "Kool Sox" thermal plug shields.

Or

Somebody mentioned that GM makes a Red Plug wire with 90* Boot Ends for the SSR....anybody have any knowledge of these.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2005, 09:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I'm using MSD truck wires with truck coils on stock trays. They were like $50 bux Mr. I have I have 5 cars...
Old 06-27-2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'm using MSD truck wires with truck coils on stock trays. They were like $50 bux Mr. I have I have 5 cars...

I might go this route, although I have seen others say that the stock wires work better and that they have had problems with the MSDs. It is good to see somebody using them with some success.

How do you check existing plug wires for conductivity???? Anybody? I would like to test mine first since I had them custom built.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll try to catch a look at an SSR's plug wires today, a guy at work has one.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Brains
I'll try to catch a look at an SSR's plug wires today, a guy at work has one.

Oh very cool dude...very cool. I would love to be able to use some factory GM wires with 90* boot ends. They need to be about 8" long for my coil pack relocation. The SSR has an LSx in it right??
Old 06-27-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Took a look, they're standard truck length or close to it. Definitely longer than the F-body and Y-body wires. They have 90 degree boots, and they also retain the metal boot covers like on all stock wires. The wire itself is blue The only thing is the 90 degree bend comes behind the metal boot cover obviously, so depending on how soon you need them to bend they may not work for you. If I had my camera with me I would have snapped pics for ya
Old 06-30-2005, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brains
Took a look, they're standard truck length or close to it. Definitely longer than the F-body and Y-body wires. They have 90 degree boots, and they also retain the metal boot covers like on all stock wires. The wire itself is blue The only thing is the 90 degree bend comes behind the metal boot cover obviously, so depending on how soon you need them to bend they may not work for you. If I had my camera with me I would have snapped pics for ya

Thanks I will have to go buy and check out one of those SSRs. Who do you think would offer the best price on those wires? Any vendors on this forum?
Thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I bet new OEM SSR wires will cost as much or more than the MSD truck wires.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default plug wires

The plug wires from the 03/04 model trucks are the longest(longer than the 99-02). I just replaced my factory wires(burnt one in half) with the MSD wires. They are even longer than factory wires by a little. I tested both sets of wires with an ohm meter, the MSD wires were lower by 900ohms. If you need any insulation to protect your wires EARLS PLUMBING sells the best insulation rated for 2000 deg.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:40 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

MSD makes a 12" long wire 32813 I think is the part number.

Crane Fire Wire truck wires are about a 1/4 - 3/8 longer than the MSDs
Old 07-01-2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by OLD BULL
The plug wires from the 03/04 model trucks are the longest(longer than the 99-02). I just replaced my factory wires(burnt one in half) with the MSD wires. They are even longer than factory wires by a little. I tested both sets of wires with an ohm meter, the MSD wires were lower by 900ohms. If you need any insulation to protect your wires EARLS PLUMBING sells the best insulation rated for 2000 deg.
You know I may test my wires before I purchase new ones. Do I just buy and ohm meter and hook up the lead between the ends of the wires? What is a good reading.

I have heard of problems with MSD and ACCEL wires. Mighty Mouse states he is use the stock coils and wires. How bad can the stock wires be if they are supporting over 900rwhp. But that does not mean I am not willing to try out other wires or listen to others opinions. Just stating what I have heard on this board.

The newer truck wires are 10.5" the old ones are 9.8". I called the dealership and had them read me the differences between the two part numbers.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:48 PM

Stopped by the Chevy Dealership today, nobody was around on the lot..unbelievable. So I popped the hood on an SSR...the plug wires do have 90* on the plug side but they are way too short..like maybe 5-6" from top of boot to boot...won't work with a coil pack relocation.
Thanks anyway.

Quick Reply: Plug wires...what Truck wires are the longest?