Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ported heads with a Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ported heads with a Turbo

Do you guys believe a set of real good heads is important on turbo motor's?
Would it be a more power combo to do a set of 225 AFR's or spend the extra 2000 dollars on a better turbo setup?
I know stock vs ported the heads are better but are they good enough to make a 2000+ dollar purchase worth it?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe, if you're serious about making power and want to get the most out of a setup then nothing will be spared. That should be said for every component of the setup. If you are building a car that won't see much power then there isn't much reason to buy better heads or port the stock ones. If you aren't looking for anything higher than 600rwhp you probably don't need ported heads if the rest of the setup is matched to the power levels you would be making. With that said, i am buying fully ported 6.0 heads because my teeny T3 turbos need the most efficient setup as possible as they will create a huge restriction. When using stock heads you need to be careful of the valve seats if you're going to make big power.

There are too many variables in answering your question. I would say do it if you can as it should be money well spent even if you can't get the benefits out of them right now.

If you bought the heads what would you be skimping out on?

Greg
Old 07-18-2005, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive always been told ..... Heads are what make the Power..................... but Boost helps ALOT

Kyle
Old 07-18-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll make more power @ any given boost level with ported heads over factory ones.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

yea u'll always make better power on a turbo setup or any other setup( SC motors, N/A motors, nitrous motors, combo's) but you dont have to spend over $2k to get a set though. AFR's are really nice but theres always TEA( which i have and love, got em for $1700 new), PRC's, RGR's, MTI 2E's, & other Sponsers heads etc etc and there's also Patriots. some have good luck w/ them & some dont. ( dont wanna/not trying to start a flame war on patriots)
My buddy Armageddon runs Patriots on his turbo setup and hasnt had any trouble with the heads themselves.
And as the other folks said boost helps alot as well
Just my 2 pennies
Old 07-18-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

I think what you're really asking is "are those heads worth $2k??" Depends on what your goals are... if you're going for an all-out race car, you should buy them. If you're looking for a street maching that still has some serious *****... your money may be better spent in other places... like on the turbo setup, or actually getting the power you do make to the ground! You can't go anywhere if you can't hook up!

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
Would it be a more power combo to do a set of 225 AFR's or spend the extra 2000 dollars on a better turbo setup?
I know stock vs ported the heads are better but are they good enough to make a 2000+ dollar purchase worth it?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

if your planning on >15#s they may be a viable option for the deck.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Look at it this way, the more power you make N/A the more power you are going to make when you put your power adder on, whether it be turbo, SC or N2O.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Sue, better heads will add power to any setup! But is it worth the $2k?? What are your goals? What kind of power you looking to make... or better yet, what kind of times? Track or daily driver car?

Originally Posted by Big Mike
Look at it this way, the more power you make N/A the more power you are going to make when you put your power adder on, whether it be turbo, SC or N2O.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

in comes down to what he wants and cost.....if he can afford them,get them.If its a track car look into them.If neither look elsewhere.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FastKat
Sue, better heads will add power to any setup! But is it worth the $2k?? What are your goals? What kind of power you looking to make... or better yet, what kind of times? Track or daily driver car?

Your right, I didn't explain myself very well.
Let me ask this a different way and add in my goals.
I am currently planing on a street setup and 500+ to the tire. (8-9psi)
I am going to get a turbo cam, a set of 6.0 heads to lower compression, rod bolts to help keep the bottom alive, ARP studs and bolts kit, intercooler, etc.
I dont have a ton of money and the turbo kit I was going with is a STS knockoff. Very similar to a STS with a larger turbo so for now we will just say STS so everyone knows what I am talking about. Now with my goals I am not sure if ported heads are the right choice.
I could spend the 1200-1300 dollars and get a better turbo setup or could spend the money on heads.
Which would be the better dollar per HP? I am on a budget and can either do the heads or upgrade/buy a better turbo kit. Hopefully that helps what I am after.
Thanks for the reply's so far.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

better turbo kit.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im porting my own heads when i change the head bolts. Its easy adn ya can save 1900 dollars. Granted i wont have larger valves liek teh 2k heads BUT i will make mroe power for nearly nothing.
You can use teh STS kit for all teh power you need so i say spend the extra 2k to forge ya bottom end. You get pistons adn rngs for 800 and rods for 700 adn spend the other 500 on machining. Now you can make all teh power your heart wants. GL

John

Last edited by 99SS-T; 07-19-2005 at 01:49 PM. Reason: opps
Old 07-19-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SS-T
Im porting my own heads when i change the head bolts. Its easy adn ya can save 1900 dollars. Granted i wont have larger valves liek teh 2k heads BUT i will make mroe power for nearly nothing.
You can use teh STS kit for all teh power you need so i say spend the extra 2k to forge ya bottom end. You get pistons adn rngs for 800 and rods for 700 adn spend the other 500 on machining. Now you can make all teh power your heart wants. GL

John
Make no mistake, porting heads is an art...especially when porting for N/A applications. FI will let you get away with over sizing the runners, but in general an average joe isnt gonna do a great job at porting heads if they arent experienced...Over sizing the runers in an N/A applic. will decrease port velocity and make the car feel sluggish.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, I would not go for the expensive heads. The 6.0L heads should bring your compression down enough to meet your goals. The 6.0L heads will be just fine.

I'd save that money for either a better turbo kit or perhaps fuel system upgrades, a good tune, or whatever you discover your next bottleneck to be. Your boost will push through those 6.0L heads just fine.

Your right, I didn't explain myself very well.
Let me ask this a different way and add in my goals.
I am currently planing on a street setup and 500+ to the tire. (8-9psi)
I am going to get a turbo cam, a set of 6.0 heads to lower compression, rod bolts to help keep the bottom alive, ARP studs and bolts kit, intercooler, etc.
I dont have a ton of money and the turbo kit I was going with is a STS knockoff. Very similar to a STS with a larger turbo so for now we will just say STS so everyone knows what I am talking about. Now with my goals I am not sure if ported heads are the right choice.
I could spend the 1200-1300 dollars and get a better turbo setup or could spend the money on heads.
Which would be the better dollar per HP? I am on a budget and can either do the heads or upgrade/buy a better turbo kit. Hopefully that helps what I am after.
Thanks for the reply's so far.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Engines are breathing machines. Breathe in..... exhale out. The better and more it can do this the better it will run. Every major internal part you change has to do with how much oxygen it will burn. I say do the heads to realize the full potential of everything else.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Very true, but what it comes down to is are the $2,000 heads needed to meet his goals?

Originally Posted by Lasershop
Engines are breathing machines. Breathe in..... exhale out. The better and more it can do this the better it will run. Every major internal part you change has to do with how much oxygen it will burn. I say do the heads to realize the full potential of everything else.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

spend the money on a cam before the heads. thats my opinion. you'll see/feel a bigger difference with the cam than the heads and you'll probably have a grand left in your pocket too.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

I come from the Buick GN world and fully ported stock iron heads flow only 200cfmish on the intake port!!!!! There were plenty of 231ci GN engines making 700hp+ with a single turbo and 3" downpipes running mid/low 10's@125mph+ in 3500lbs+ Buick Regals.

Stock LS1 heads flow in low 230cfm's I believe. Part of the restriction can be overcome with boost. The LS1 has a larger bore, better cylinder head design, and strong stock cranks compared to the Buick GN motors (their limit is about 700hp reliably). Combined with upgraded rods/pistons a reliable low budget turbo LS1 should work well.

Didn't Rob Raymer make 700rwhp with his stock longblock (upgraded springs) and a single turbo setup?

The BIG power is in the heads/cam setup.... but turbos can perform miracles. Remember that every 14.7psi of boost effectively doubles the engine size (with no major bottlenecks). Meaning a 346ci at this level becomes a 692ci..... At 22psi it becomes 865ci!!!!

The argument of limited traction and diminishing use of power on a street car should be thrown in the mix as well.

The proper cam and a good intercooler and the right sized downpipe should be done right the first time... you can always upgrade to better heads down the line. Redoing headers,intercooler piping, downpipe over again is a major time and $$$ expense.

Have Bo White do a budget port on those 6.0 heads.....
Old 07-19-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Save the money for your unexpected breakages or other unforseen costs.

Quick Reply: ported heads with a Turbo