Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How long would my projected FI setup last.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long would my projected FI setup last.

I just saw the other thread about stangkilla's SS motor blowing, so I thought I would throw this question out to some of you.

As some of you already know, Im having FMS build me a forged 408 with a gt55 turbo.

Everything for the most part is top of the line. stage 3 afr heads, 12 bolt(strange), forged rods, pistons, etc... ( i dont have the specs with me, only at home, I can post later if necessary), custom built turbo kit, etc....

Prob 90% of the time I drive the car it will be on the pump gas tune, as I want it to last. I only take the car to the track maybe 1-3 times a year, maybe just to get some times on it since i dont have a cage.

How long have some of you guys lasted with your forged motors and FI?

Is it realistic I can hold on to it for 5 years or more without having any problems, rebuilds, or heavy expenses? Its gonna be a weekend/occasional daily driver car, but I will want to have fun with it and enjoy myself.

What kind of expectancies in terms or wear and tear have you guys had on you setups?

I can understand the reg mantinence, and valve springs(as they do tend to wear out), but what else can I expect?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
I just saw the other thread about stangkilla's SS motor blowing, so I thought I would throw this question out to some of you.

As some of you already know, Im having FMS build me a forged 408 with a gt55 turbo.

Everything for the most part is top of the line. stage 3 afr heads, 12 bolt(strange), forged rods, pistons, etc... ( i dont have the specs with me, only at home, I can post later if necessary), custom built turbo kit, etc....

Prob 90% of the time I drive the car it will be on the pump gas tune, as I want it to last. I only take the car to the track maybe 1-3 times a year, maybe just to get some times on it since i dont have a cage.

How long have some of you guys lasted with your forged motors and FI?

Is it realistic I can hold on to it for 5 years or more without having any problems, rebuilds, or heavy expenses? Its gonna be a weekend/occasional daily driver car, but I will want to have fun with it and enjoy myself.

What kind of expectancies in terms or wear and tear have you guys had on you setups?

I can understand the reg mantinence, and valve springs(as they do tend to wear out), but what else can I expect?

Thanks guys.
My estimate is 23.1 days ..jk

seriously though.. it's hard to say... i wouldn't exspect my car to go anywhere near 5 years without any issues, but i usually beat on it regularly when it's running. If you're not too hard on it, don't put a ton of miles on it, and keep a conservative tune i don't see why it shouldn't last that long.

Last edited by 1point3liter; 08-01-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put just under 20 thousand miles on my motor with the T76-GTS and over 700 RWHP. I got a bit antsy trying to race some fast bikes and overboosted big time with the 76, and cracked the ringlands on three pistons. Took the motor .025" over, same rods/crank, all new bearings, oil pump, water pump, etc, and now I have a bit over 4000 miles on it with virtually no leakdown and perfect compression. I don't put as many miles on it now because it isn't my daily driver like it was with the T76-GTS, but it still sees a lot of street time and some weekend fun.

If you know what you're doing, keep an eye on plugs, AFR's, run modest boost and timing on pump gas, and don't do any retarded crap (IE, WOT pulls in sixth gear on pump gas ) you can get a lot of miles out of a built motor.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:50 PM
...with cheese.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the longest my crap has run is 3k miles haha, but thats partially my own damn fault.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eviltwins
I put just under 20 thousand miles on my motor with the T76-GTS and over 700 RWHP. I got a bit antsy trying to race some fast bikes and overboosted big time with the 76, and cracked the ringlands on three pistons. Took the motor .025" over, same rods/crank, all new bearings, oil pump, water pump, etc, and now I have a bit over 4000 miles on it with virtually no leakdown and perfect compression. I don't put as many miles on it now because it isn't my daily driver like it was with the T76-GTS, but it still sees a lot of street time and some weekend fun.

If you know what you're doing, keep an eye on plugs, AFR's, run modest boost and timing on pump gas, and don't do any retarded crap (IE, WOT pulls in sixth gear on pump gas ) you can get a lot of miles out of a built motor.
lol, out of curiousity, what is so bad about doing WOT runs in 6th gear? Too much timing or something?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
lol, out of curiousity, what is so bad about doing WOT runs in 6th gear? Too much timing or something?
load.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1point3liter
load.
Yep. High load plus huge amount of time spent at WOT in that gear means you're infinitely more likely to detonate than say a first through third blast where there's less load and you're only in each gear for a short period of time.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,303 Posts

what if you decide to top out the car with the govenor removed....would you just progressively increase speed instead of leaving it floored in 6th?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

no you would leave it in 5th
Old 08-01-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To double check to make sure that I understand what 'load' you're talking about, you're Just talking about the long gear to rev through, right?

How long would a "street-legal/daily driver" boost setup last from a company like LPE? I'm sort of looking to get a 427 TT setup from LPE won of these days... I'd also like it to last a long assed time.

Last edited by mahhddgtp; 08-01-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no load is the resistance that you put on the engine, it is harder to turn the wheels at higher gear and faster speed.
if you do data logs on a 1/4 run, some times you can not see knock in the first two gears, but then it starts to show up in third and forth. (depending on tune)
Old 08-01-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
no load is the resistance that you put on the engine, it is harder to turn the wheels at higher gear and faster speed.
if you do data logs on a 1/4 run, some times you can not see knock in the first two gears, but then it starts to show up in third and forth. (depending on tune)
doesnt it also depend on the gearing too?

for example. you compare 273 gears to 4 56 gears. wont you have more detonation with the 273's then the latter?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wouldnt you have to actually get the car first before you can drive it long enough to blow it up?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
wouldnt you have to actually get the car first before you can drive it long enough to blow it up?

haha, good point.

On a side note, I did call up today and one of the guys said the car is "up and running"

now for the tuning part

hopefully should have the car in my hands within 3 weeks, thats what Id like to have happen.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:30 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Run a real pump gas tune/setup on the street, and you probably won't hurt it.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was FMS this weekend when Allan fired up your car for the first time and all I can say is it sounded sick . The turbo is freaking HUGE. Everything that he did to your car looks so nice and top quality. There work table down to the shop floor looks like you can eat off of it, someone that keeps there shop that clean and neat you know takes pride in what they do. Your a lucky man.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My daily driver Silverado has 28,000 miles on it now. The engine went thru some abuse on engine dyno before the truck.

Kurt
Old 08-02-2005, 05:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some pics of your car if its done, no sense in holding out on us!!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i saw the car at futral's i was amazed. looked at my vortech car and wanted to push it into a lake!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
get some pics of your car if its done, no sense in holding out on us!!

I emailed Allan last night asking for pics since he said he would send it. But that was over a month ago, lol, so i just thought id give a little reminder.

Im hoping he gets the email today and can get me the pics by tonight. Every time I get new pics, i save em to my comp and then post them...

So dont worry, soon as I get them you will know.

I have a feeling we should see some dyno numbers within the next 2 weeks or so...