Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stealth Turbo setups

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stealth Turbo setups

what's the stealthiest setup around here? I know the STS is pretty stealthy, but you can still see all of the plumbing. Just wondering if anyone has done anything to really hide their setup, just in case they have someone wanting to run for money.

I have thought about it for a bit, and I think that if you could find a way to seal the stock airbox pretty good, then it would be pretty sneaky to try and snake the turbo plumbing up the stock air path, through the stock airbox, cut a hole in the bottom of the box like you would for a FTRA setup. Of course you would have to have an STS setup.

The only hole in this I can see so far is sealing up the airbox to hold boost and keep it relatively stock looking.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's easy, just don't pop your hood.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

stealth turbo?? how do you conseal the whistle???
Old 08-08-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
It's easy, just don't pop your hood.

I agree, mine is real stealthy except the cage, gauges, whining, bov and a few other things.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by menlatin
stealth turbo?? how do you conseal the whistle???
dont get a ricer bov lol. its possible, but when u rape someone with your supposely "NA" car, they are gonna wonder if u sprayed or something.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Pop my hood, and you can't see the intercoolers, or the turbos. All you see is a large black painted intake setup that people will know is not stock. But they won't know what it is. My manifolds even look stock, and are rusty. I've gone to a few local gatherings, with some fairly knowledgeable LS1 people, and most ask if its a cold air intake. Electric tape over the pillar gages, and its gone.

As for the noise, there is a slight noise when shifting, and a lesser spool noise. If you were next to a Camry, they might notice it. The kind of people who want to race always have obnoxiously loud exhausts. They would know nothing.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well Im not really looking to conceal the sound of the turbo spool...by then it will be money in the bag.... just when your car is being looked at by potential competition.

Mark... Im interested... post some pics!!!!

Internally vented BOV will conceal most of the sound between shifting.......

The lingenfelter twin setup on the C5's looked pretty damn stealthy... they hid those turds good!

Pillar gauges are definitely out, boost controller and all of that should be hidden.

I dunno if I could keep a turbo setup a secret though... I would squeal with glee.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:36 PM
NKAWTG...N

hardest part will be concealing the cold side intercooler pipe to the intake. but ive seen a picture of where a guy had that and his bov hidden under the stock lid. very sneaky. but if anyone knows a thing about turbos and looks under your car your screwed, you can't hide a turbo like you can hide nitrous.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put my gauges in the glove box. Not as easy to see as the pillar, but out of sight of casual viewers. I can see them when I need them, and others have no knowledge of their being there.
I put the switches (two stage boost, line lock) in the console (where the CDs go). Out of sight, out of mind.
And I painted the blue hoses black, just to minimize the look.
The biggest tell is the single 3" exhaust pipe from the right side of the rear. Not sure what to do about that.
STS turbo on semi-sleeper 97 Formula
kk
Old 08-08-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The CAS kit is the most hidden of all... coulnt hear the turbos if kept below 2500 rpm either.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jammer
The CAS kit is the most hidden of all... coulnt hear the turbos if kept below 2500 rpm either.
More hidden than the Incon? Haven't seen the CAS kit, but virtually everyone that looks under my hood thinks it's stock, unless they're an in-the-know LS1 person.

- Dug
Old 08-09-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stoleit
hardest part will be concealing the cold side intercooler pipe to the intake. but ive seen a picture of where a guy had that and his bov hidden under the stock lid. very sneaky. but if anyone knows a thing about turbos and looks under your car your screwed, you can't hide a turbo like you can hide nitrous.
Yeah I'm still trying to figure this one out..... an IC itself is not too hard to keep inconsipicuous, as long as you dont get the big polished ones....routing the cold side pipe is relatively tough....

I'm going to have to do some searches on the incon setups.... my understanding is that they don't make them anymore.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Incon can be spotted easily from below, but I guess in a way, they certainly are harder to see when just popping the hood. The cas was hard to spot even when on a lift and staring up into the engine compartment.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

i don't get why someone wants to be stealth, what are ya afraid of showing? Are ya a big street racer?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Banned

Default quiet

well my car turbo set up hides nice except the IC but if you hear it run with the cut out closed it sould like a stock 4 banger i get so many comments about the stock exhaust not even funny its so quiet i get more nice stock a4 camaro lol i will post a sound clip this week
Old 08-16-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

got that vid yet?

Quick Reply: Stealth Turbo setups