Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Advantages of a upgraded BOV???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 09:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advantages of a upgraded BOV???

I currently have an ATI Procharger D1SC and I am wondering what the advantages of the Tial BOV are? I am making 8.5 psi at 7krpms. I also have a cam and upgraded valvetrain.

So my question is what are the advantages an what will a new BOV do for my setup? Will it help me build boost? hold more vacuum? WHAT?

I need some input. Going to the track soon and tryin to get this right!

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if anything, get a mondo bypass valve. BOV's are specifically made for turbos, bypass valves are for superchargers.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What he said get the mondo. It will probably seal when closed alot better, thats something. Also it will sound way cooler when it opens. If you are getting any bypass related surging problems it will cure that. If i had it to do over again id get the mondo.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a Tial 50mm or whatever it is BOV. supercharged car. i dont run a MAF though.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Teching In

The BOV/relief valve prevents compressor surge, especially when the throttle instantly becomes shut. A relief valve is not entirely necessary in a forced induction setup, however it is more helpful when you're running far greater than atmospheric pressures, or if you really want to play safe. With about 8 or 9 psi from a DS1C, I'm sure you can do without one. Unless you're in a situation (racing) where you constantly have to open and close the throttle instantaneously, then invest. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:43 AM
9 Second Club

Where could I find this Mondo bypass valve? Would I need to tune the car again if I changed it? Also, could someone give me a specific part number for what I need?

This is what I found at Jegs
933-8D103-001 Maxflo Mondo Bypass Valve CartMe! $239.99
Old 08-20-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TrakDay
Where could I find this Mondo bypass valve? Would I need to tune the car again if I changed it? Also, could someone give me a specific part number for what I need?

This is what I found at Jegs
933-8D103-001 Maxflo Mondo Bypass Valve CartMe! $239.99
thats the one..... then the $16 flange straight from Vortech should be about $25 shipped and then weld it on and your golden......

I went with the Tial at first and it chirped constantly..... you will not like it... meaning that it chirped at cruise...... i sold it and swapped to a Vortech Mondo..... then sold the kit and im back with a Turbo kit and a Tial BOV again

Kyle
Old 08-20-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
thats the one..... then the $16 flange straight from Vortech should be about $25 shipped and then weld it on and your golden......

I went with the Tial at first and it chirped constantly..... you will not like it... meaning that it chirped at cruise...... i sold it and swapped to a Vortech Mondo..... then sold the kit and im back with a Turbo kit and a Tial BOV again

Kyle
you've burned some money then havnt you! sticking with the turbo right?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on what nasty said. my Tial BOV is so loud its rediculous. its a constant tapping sound driving down the road. i can hear it over the LT and true dual exhaust! its a race only pieces.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
+1 on what nasty said. my Tial BOV is so loud its rediculous. its a constant tapping sound driving down the road. i can hear it over the LT and true dual exhaust! its a race only pieces.
While supercharger owners do have an issue I dont think turbo owner's should have this Tial BOV problem at cruise. Since its the nature of the belt driven Super cruising down the road spinning the belt tring to force air into the manifold with very little throttle opening. YMMV
Old 08-20-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

got a vid or sound clip of it? I havnt heard it and was wondering how loud it was
Old 08-20-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
you've burned some money then havnt you! sticking with the turbo right?

Just a lil...

Here ya go..... you can here the chirp, chirp, chirp during cruise.... thats with my FMIC also....
Right click save as please...
http://itlxlr8.com/vids/BOV.wmv

Kyle
Old 08-20-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

AW MAN I LOVE THAT SOUND! but yeah i guess you would get annoy'd with that after the newness wore off. that took the sleeper thing away huh? what about a progressive BOV? gotta go gonna check out a 79 Camaro!! ***hearts***
Old 08-20-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

I guess that would get annoying. It sounds intimidating though!
Old 08-21-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrakDay
I currently have an ATI Procharger D1SC and I am wondering what the advantages of the Tial BOV are?
The advantage of upgrading your BOV is; (1) You no longer have the plastic POS BOV that comes with the ATI (2) Your hoses don't pop off when you lift from WOT. Most likely you don't have the ATI BOV anymore, so popping off hoses and side of the road repairs are the biggest problem with undersized BOVs.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Just a lil...

Here ya go..... you can here the chirp, chirp, chirp during cruise.... thats with my FMIC also....
Right click save as please...
http://itlxlr8.com/vids/BOV.wmv

Kyle
ROFLMAO You should try a higher rated spring or shimming that one for the desired affect. OMG that vid was soo funny. I've only seen one rustang that was that bad before, hella small blower pulley cog on YSI I believe.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Public
ROFLMAO You should try a higher rated spring or shimming that one for the desired affect. OMG that vid was soo funny. I've only seen one rustang that was that bad before, hella small blower pulley cog on YSI I believe.

i GUESS YOU DIDNT READ THE BEGINNING ON WHAT I POSTED OR U DIDNT UNDERSTAND........... It is a BOV and BOV dont work on Supercharged cars..... so there is no amount of shimming that could ever be done to help that..... it will flutter like that no matter what you do... thats why BOV's are for Turbo setups and Bypass valves are for Supercharger setups.....

Kyle
Old 08-29-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

Here's a picture that shows my Mondo Bypass Valve, its mounting point, and the adapter that it dumps to right at the Vortech intake:

I got the flange - you can see it between the upper pipe and the valve.

I made all the piping and stuff, with some welding help.

Jim

Quick Reply: Advantages of a upgraded BOV???