Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!

Rusty finally got the materials in to finish with the CAS kit upgrade and modification. He hasn't finished everything yet but it's getting real close. The hardest part is the air filter inlets. He is going to put the filters right on top of the splash gaurds right infront of the wheel wells but had to so some longer than desired piping runs. The intercooler is mounted right infront of the A/C condenser which eliminated the windshield washer resevoir. I have plenty of room to mount a different sized container where the AIR pump was. I had him cut the exhaust flange between the 3rd and 4th bolt holes which resulted in some flexing from the get go. I hope this doesn't pose a problem in the future. We also kept the stock WG system but enlargened the integral waste gas holes in the turbine housings. They appear to be able to flow enough but we'll see. All in all everything is coming along great and Rusty is doing a superb job. I am retaining my bumper support but will cut out a pathway for air to circulate through. Twin turbo is not the way to go on an F body unless you want to make it a racecar. I just hope i get this thing on the road in a couple of months.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-airinletdriver.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-airinletdriver1.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-chargepass.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-chargepass1.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-chargepass2.jpg  

Old 08-21-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

more pics
Attached Thumbnails CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-dp1.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-dp2.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-dp3.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-drivermani.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-driverturbo.jpg  

Old 08-21-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Last set

Greg
Attached Thumbnails CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-ic1.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-inlet1.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-inlet2.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-passtubro.jpg  
Old 08-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Banned

nice work...

i cant wait to get started on mine.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

man I forgot how 10lbs of **** in a 5lb bag that kit was.

glad to see your getting it going, wanna trade

ed
Old 08-21-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by disassembled
Twin turbo is not the way to go on an F body unless you want to make it a racecar.

Greg
False. Find an Incon kit. My car looks basically stock under the hood.

Looks like it's coming together though, just a little bit further and you'll be on the road!
Old 08-21-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

I don't quite follow how that wastegate is working
Old 08-21-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
I don't quite follow how that wastegate is working
If you look at this picture https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=39792 you can see the turbine housing with an empty hole on the left side. This hole is where i am going to vent the exhaust gas instead of taking it from the manifold (which would add a lot of extra work and money). The original hole was about half of that size and would have not flowed nearly enough to keep the boost low. I hope to achieve a minimum boost level of 6-8 PSI. Using the hole in the turbo is just cleaner with this setup and i don't have to make provisions for the manifold flexing which would probably break the WG piping.

Greg
Old 08-21-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
False. Find an Incon kit. My car looks basically stock under the hood.

Looks like it's coming together though, just a little bit further and you'll be on the road!

Yes, i agree. I was too vague in what i meant. The Incon kit is a work of art for the HP levels it was designed for. More and more we see street cars pushing the upper end 800-900 rwhp and that's what more and more potentional FI'ers are wanting from the get go; while retaining every accessory in the stock locations. I was a little upset i had to ditch the stock windshield washer resevoir but i can deal. Designing a twin turbo kit with enough turbo to make 1000 hp, utilizing a nice FMIC, running pipes above the K member, ensuring it will work with cars that are bone stock and ones that are modified (ie aftermarket k members, lowered, etc) and keeping the cost reasonable (< $7000 is ideal for most serious enthusiasts) and i am not even reffering to a 100% complete kit just one that has the important stuff included. If i didn't have a tubular K member the charge piping would have have consisted of a 2 ft piece of radiator hose going to the rest of the aluminum piping. The only problem Rusty is having is with the air filter piping because the pipes that came with the kit, well the are just wasted pieces of aluminum as far as he's concerned.

start rant. It's too hard to make a kit for these cars, expect a nice return on them, and have a high customer satisfaction rating. I guess that is really the point i was trying to make. Seeing what a hard time a professional had with this is enough to make me realize that this business will kill anyone that isn't completely dedicated to their customers. end rant.

Greg
Old 08-21-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I want to puke.

Why: Cause I know what it takes to install it...but thats not what makes me really sick...what makes me really sick is the insane smooth streetable power you will soon be feeling. As I await to get my bugs out I know I could just bolt that sucker in..and if I didnt commit suicide installing it, I'd be raping the streets and not come home for a week.
Im excited for ya. Looks like a great hog job on the turbo waste gas holes. I hope you have an auto..if so, 3rd gear will make you ****.

Last edited by Jammer; 08-24-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We want daily updates at this point!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

damn! the vids dont work for me. it says it cant find the site

haha..ok nevermind....im a dumbass!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wish i could give more. My fabricator is waiting on silicone hoses and that should be it. Once i get the car finished the tranny is going out for the viper mainshaft and then the motor comes. I haven't even gotten very detailed with the fuel system yet. I have a lot to do and it's hard when you don't really have any place to work.

Greg
Old 08-24-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like what you did with the wastegate tubing... def a good idea. What kind of turbos are those, and did you have to have those flanges custom made or are they a pretty common item?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FastKat
I really like what you did with the wastegate tubing... def a good idea. What kind of turbos are those, and did you have to have those flanges custom made or are they a pretty common item?

You should thank Tony Dequick he was the one that designed and built this kit ( if i am not mistaken). I just made the internal wastegate holes on the turbine housing larger so they can flow. The flanges are custom as you can see they both have different cuts for the wastegate hole. I am sure any decent fabricator can replicate it for you. The PTK kit uses the same method of using the wastegates. The method isn't the most efficient but it saves space.

Greg
Old 09-02-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Fab work is complete

Hey i just got home from dropping the car off in my storage. It's nice to have it back so i can start working on electrical. Rusty had trouble with the charge piping and had to run the driver's side under the k-member. This is how the CAS kit was intended to be run anyway so it's not a biggie. The air filters go above the splash gaurds as i wanted. The setup could be made better but he already had to work off of what was there so i just wanted done what he thought was best. The only thing i have to worry about is airflow to the radiator but since i am cutting the front fascia out i don't think it will be too big of a deal. My BOV is the only thing that wasn't mounted and the reason is because the mounting piece is steel and my piping is aluminum. I hope to get this thing on the road here shortly. The tranny is enroute to Jenning's engineering and should be done within a couple of weeks, the longblock is paid for just have to send the oil pan and other things needed for assembly, i pretty much decided on the clutch i want, and now all that's left is to buy and install the fuel system which i am shopping for now. It seems like i have a ton of things to do but i really have come a long way. Here are some pics.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-frontfar.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-motorcloseup.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-frontcloseup.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-drivercooler.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-passcooler.jpg  

Old 09-02-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a few more....

Greg
Attached Thumbnails CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-drivercharge.jpg   CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!-passcharge.jpg  
Old 09-02-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you cut the front fascia out you are going to get great air flow, I have a T/A and just the plate cut out makes my car run so cool I cant believe what a diference it makes.

Good luck with the project! coming together nicely

Quick Reply: CAS TT update....fab work is nearly finished! Pics!