Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need help deciding on how to go

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help deciding on how to go

ok I am looking to make around 450-500RWHP on my 02 T/A A4. I am deciding between H/C/etc and an STS turbo setup. I have done lots of searching around the board gleaning info and the consensus seems to be that FI is stupid expensive compared to H/C, but I'm just not seeing it...

After talking with the guys at STS It will cost me in the neighborhood of $5000 to get everything i need if I stay away from the $400 turbo upgrade for now ( that includes injectors, meth kit, boost gauge, boost controller and fuel pump) Add $120 for shipping, I'd do the install myself, and thats ~$5200

Heads and cam to make that kind of power I'm looking at $3100 for complete AFR heads, $400 for decent cam, $900 in exhaust (pacesetter LT's and true duals) ~$100 in gaskets/etc, probably another $800 in induction components (TB, lid, FTRA) so we're talking $5300 not including shipping charges. I think I might need gears with this setup as well so tack on $500..

Question is, can I hope to make the numbers I am wanting and keep it streetable (I can deal with a lot on the street as far as this goes, but lots of bucking is gonna get old fast I think) and are these numbers reasonable? Can you make these numbers without the expensive as hell AFR heads, say with some TEA stage 2's? I didn't include the stuff I would need for both (I.E Fuddle Racing converter, tranny cooler, tuning, etc). Let me know what you guys think. STS guys how much do you have into your setups?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can speak on the side of the STS kit, et al. I just went with the basic STS kit, 42lb injectors, fuel pump, gauges, and 3 pod a-pillar. Those parts all added up to be around the $5K ballpark. This basic setup with a decent tune @ 5psi is getting me 425RWHP. Obviously, with the meth kit and added boost, you'll easily be over 500RWHP. I personally am very pleased with the FI route versus the heads/cam option. Nothing compares to the whistle of a turbo!

If I were you, I'd spring for a decent torque converter while you're at it. Turbo is great once it spools up, but you'll want some punch to get you off the line. With having said that, you'll be wanting to save up for a new rear-end soon. =)
Old 08-24-2005, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Look at it this way, if you go the STS route you'll hit your goal. But down the road if you build up the motor you can turn up the boost and make even more power.

I would maybe drop the meth kit and get a fmic or do both if you can.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forced induction will also get you better gas mileage than the heads and cam route, which is getting to be more important with each passing day! Bob
Old 08-24-2005, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

yah good point...we just hit $2.68/gallon yesterday

I know STS is offering a FMIC for about $1000 extra, i guess that might be something to think about as well. The guys at STS recommended a 3000 stall converter, which I would probably do while saving up for the turbo kit...
Old 08-24-2005, 05:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that turbo is the craze right now but I would consider the Procharger (now that the belt problem is solved). There are a bunch on here that are over 600 rwhp now, nothing to sneeze at.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

nah if I go FI I'm going turbo, I've done a lot of research about the differences between superchargers and turbochargers, and turbo is the way to go IMO.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are going to run enough boost to hit 450-500 rwhp, plan on uograding valve springs. Also, the base 60-1 will be running out of oomph at that power level. If you run 8 psi, I would suggest a FMIC, valve springs, and 60 lb injectors. My 42's were at a 95% duty cycle at 475 rwhp.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

ok so I guess I can tack another $200 on for injectors and $200 for springs then..
Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NYSS Guy
If you are going to run enough boost to hit 450-500 rwhp, plan on uograding valve springs. Also, the base 60-1 will be running out of oomph at that power level. If you run 8 psi, I would suggest a FMIC, valve springs, and 60 lb injectors. My 42's were at a 95% duty cycle at 475 rwhp.
As long as you're dipping into the engine. I would swap out the stock pushrods for some hardened ones. It's another cheap mod to have insurance for 500 rwhp on boost along with the stronger valves. Anything over 5 psi and I would Definitely DO springs. Some people have had valve float with 5 psi on the dyno. Seems to be a few only, hit or miss, but I would do it just in case. They're not that much $$$ when you're going FI.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by magius231
nah if I go FI I'm going turbo, I've done a lot of research about the differences between superchargers and turbochargers, and turbo is the way to go IMO.
Whoa... Have we given up on Kenne Bell?

Turbo, for now, is the ONLY way to go when spending $5K and up. Yup.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Doing the install yourself will save you some coin. I had mine installed with some custom work by a local shop and sponser (Synergy Motorsports). So I'm into my setup a little bit more. On top of the upgrades you mentioned I would highly recommend the upgraded turbo (at least a GT67), valvesprings (918's), chromoly pushrods, FMIC, and most importantly a dyno tune by a reputable local tuner.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:05 AM
Launching!

I would have Synergy install an STS setup. There have been some amazing results with these on daily drivers.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:27 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several years ago we had a Trans-Am come in for repairs that we had previously installed an ATI ProCharger D-1SC on that was at 8 psi. Stock heads and camshaft were in this engine. The car has 32,000 miles on it, and was seeing random missfires, and so we checked all the normal items. Spark plugs, plug wires, coils, etc. We were stumped as the codes were happening when the car was not being driven hard. To make a long story short it turned out to be the valvesprings. We set them out on top of one of my showcases and they were all at different heights! Bob
Old 08-26-2005, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Several years ago we had a Trans-Am come in for repairs that we had previously installed an ATI ProCharger D-1SC on that was at 8 psi. Stock heads and camshaft were in this engine. The car has 32,000 miles on it, and was seeing random missfires, and so we checked all the normal items. Spark plugs, plug wires, coils, etc. We were stumped as the codes were happening when the car was not being driven hard. To make a long story short it turned out to be the valvesprings. We set them out on top of one of my showcases and they were all at different heights! Bob
Wow, I must have the freak car then. I have not had a problem when I ran my P1SC on 8# of boost. The car is getting the turbo kit installed and I've been wondering about springs myself...wait and see I guess.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

I'm curious as to how thats happening on a stock cam though, your not raising the RPM range any...is it a normal problem with the stock motor and it just shows up more then under boost?

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on how to go