Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How Difficult to Do My Own Pistons/Rods Swap??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Difficult to Do My Own Pistons/Rods Swap??

Just wondering what all is involved in doing this, and can it be done with a good set of tools and jackstands? I've never done anything like this before, so I'm looking for help from all the gearheads out there . . .

- Dug
Old 04-09-2002, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: How Difficult to Do My Own Pistons/Rods Swap??

Come on, has nobody done this themselves??

- Dug
Old 04-10-2002, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dug....

How ya doing? Hey, I understand you run a turbo car, but pistons and rods are pistons and rods. I would post this question over on the "internal engine" section. I think you will get some interest over there.

Well, we talked about this before. Again, I would install a set of forged 8.5 to 1 pistons (dished)on the stock rods, and then CRANK UP the boost! I would want a set of pistons with the same deck height as the stockers.

It all involves removing the pan and heads. Unbolting the connecting rods from the crank, and pushing the old pistons/rods out the top. Remember, those old rods need to go back togather EXACTLY how they came out, and in the same holes. I would also install ARP rod bolts and of course, new factory spec rod bearings. If the new pistons are [exactly] the same size as your stock pistons, I really dont think you need to hone the cylinders in your low mileage engine. Just "de-glaze" them with those 3M pads. Cant think of what they are actually called. I would certainly ask what the name of the pads are in your post over on "internal engine" so you use the right pads. They work good in deglazing the cyl so you get a good ring to cyl seal. After using them, it is very important to clean the cyl with solvent in order to remove the aluminum oxides that the pads leave behind. Then a light coat of engine oil on the deglazed cyl.

Factory head bolts are "torque to yeild". Must be replaced with new bolts and you must follow exactly the GM install procedure.

C Ya,
Ron

<small>[ April 10, 2002, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Kimchee and Rice ]</small>
Old 04-10-2002, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone worried about balancing?
Old 04-10-2002, 05:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

The new piston/pin sets come balanced.

What do you think he needs to have balanced?
Old 04-10-2002, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

You may want to have a machine shop fit the wrist pins for you. I would think that you would want "full floating" pins.

Certainly, bringing your car in to have this work done is the eazy way, but if you get alot of guidence and ask alot of questions, this isnt that hard.

Piston to cyl clearance is very important as well as ring gap. I dont think you want to consider "file to fit" rings, but again, ask a bunch of questions on the internal engine section.

Ron,

<small>[ April 10, 2002, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: Kimchee and Rice ]</small>
Old 04-10-2002, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think you want reuse the connecting rods, since they are about the weakest link in the engine.

Gary
Old 04-10-2002, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gary...

Actually, GM claims that the LS1 rods are stronger than the infamous GM "Pink" rods. Torque/HP usually is not a big factor with rods, but RPM certainly is. But, I dont think Dug spins that turbo motor any faster than 6,500 revs.

Sure, there are better aftermarket forged rods out there, but I dont think he needs them. He does need better rod bolts. Only my opinion.

Now, for pistons; If he wants to run better than 5 psi boost and wants longivity, those factory pistons need to be changed out. And low compression/high boost is the combo he really needs.

Again, just my opinion.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Kimchee and Rice:
<strong>The new piston/pin sets come balanced.
What do you think he needs to have balanced?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I guess if he keeps track of the rod locations, then he's ok?
Old 04-10-2002, 08:06 AM
SJH
TECH Regular

I have rebuilt many engines myself incuding a TOTAL rebuild of my 98 ls1.
The new rod/piston/ring combo will HAVE to be within a few grams of the old rod/piston combo or you will throw off the rotational balance of the motor.
The crank would have to be removed, taken to a good auto machine shop and fitted with a bob weight equal to the new rod/piston ring bearing combo and the crank counterweights drilled or metal added to rebalance it if the new rods and pistons vary in weight from the old ones.

Pull the motor and do it right.
Steve
Old 04-10-2002, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Listen to SJH, I would swap the pistons in the motor if it was like a $700 truck used for plowing.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

I just got my Ross piston/ring/stock rod/arp bolts set from ARE. They are all at 452 grams if I remember correctly. The file to fit part is going to be a chore but i think I can do it. They said there was no need to have the bottom end rebalanced
Old 04-10-2002, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

OK, does anyone have any suggestions for a good shop to do the work? I know MMS is in CA, I'm in AZ. Any other places?

- Dug

Quick Reply: How Difficult to Do My Own Pistons/Rods Swap??