Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lunati 382 rolling assembly. Is this good for forced induction?

Old 04-30-2002, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lunati 382 rolling assembly. Is this good for forced induction?

I am still deciding on which way to go on my engine and was wondering about this set-up. It has a 3.9 inch bore and 4.00 inch stroke. Also since my engine only has 5000 miles on the block does anybody sell stock bore forged pistons? I want to avoid buying the torque plate to hone it.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Lunati 382 rolling assembly. Is this good for forced induction?

you need to get the compression down IMHO. I think someone does sell forged ls1 stock bore pistons. Cant rememebr who...not ROSS tho...maybe JE
Old 04-30-2002, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking into an FI setup. I think Weisco sells the stock bore forged pistons you're looking for.

L8r
Will
Old 04-30-2002, 03:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the assembly I considered when I thought I might rebuld my motor to a stroker.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Since I'm planning on building this myself I thought this package looked interesting. It is $3400-$3700 and you get forged rods, pistons, crank + more displacement. But some of the sponsors seem to steer you towards a larger bore versus stroke for forced induction. This resleeving really runs the price up. I was wondering why they don't seem to like a stroker with F.I.. Morgan Motorsports (just for instance) recommends their 375 rather than their 385 if you have F.I.. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Old 04-30-2002, 07:29 PM
11 Second Truck Club

that is the short block I am using I have a vortech v-9 on it it sounds great but is very hard to tune when I get finished tuning I well let you know how works with supercharger.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Hows the low end power? Thats what I feel the 350 motor really lacks. Once the Vortech kicks in its cool. The headers did help the midrange. But I was hoping for tire twisting low end from a stroker. I love the truck torque that Vipers have. In fact my two main rivals have Vipers and I raced them after the Vortech hoping that I could stay with them, but I was still a little short. Maybe if I do this motor I can hang with them. People on this forum act like Vipers are nothing but they are quite formidable.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Also with the stroker I could probably stay with the 2600 Yank. I was too conservative on my converter choice.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

I wonder if this could be applied to the 6.0 truck block. That might be a cool reasonably priced 400 C.I.. I'm not sure about all the measurements. + the 6.0 heads ported would really flow and the iron block would add strength.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:36 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I havn't nailed it because I have to install the 9" and have more tuning to do. I think I will go to the dyno to finish fine tuning in about 2 weeks the low end power seems great have not ran over 4k I will update soon.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 2001WS6Vert:
<strong>Since I'm planning on building this myself I thought this package looked interesting. It is $3400-$3700 and you get forged rods, pistons, crank + more displacement. But some of the sponsors seem to steer you towards a larger bore versus stroke for forced induction. This resleeving really runs the price up. I was wondering why they don't seem to like a stroker with F.I.. Morgan Motorsports (just for instance) recommends their 375 rather than their 385 if you have F.I.. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the main 3 reasons many recomend the bigger bore over the stroker in a Forced induction application, ESPECIALLY one with the same cubic inches is because a * bigger bore= more valve area (breathing) for more horsepower,
* a longer crank causes more wear because it "hits" the cylinder walls harder, and * with power adders many find that the extra torque of a stroker is not "needed".

Not that a larger motor period won't make more tourque. I think Nineballs all bore 382 had a great torque and power curve.

But all things being equall a "STROKER" 382 will have less power than an "ALL BORE" one , but probably more torque. The cylinder walls will also most likely wear faster.

And when you start making a good amount of power,and allready have good torque, the extra torque is often not desired, and will often break more stuff.

(Both will make great power and torque though)!!

Those are 3 of the main reasons I see.

<small>[ May 01, 2002, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Rpm2800 ]</small>
Old 05-01-2002, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 2001WS6Vert:
<strong>People on this forum act like Vipers are nothing but they are quite formidable.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I STRONGLY AGREE with that statement. Of course there are some on this board who can deal with highly modified Vipers let alone stock ones, but it seems there are many, (some of whom have never raced one) that talk about it like a Viper was a stock Mustang or something.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:09 AM
10 Second Club

I think im going to do it because I would like more low end. Especially since I don't have a real high stall and don't want to have to buy another converter. I really like the 2600 stall and it might turn out great if I can pump out some real low end torque. I only seem to be averaging about 5000 miles a year on this car so I could afford the higher engine wear. With the stroke for low end and the blower for top end it might have a really thick power band for a small block. I thought the blower would add to the low end (maybe because I remember the old 6-71's) but you don't really even feel it until the RPM's are up . It used to be that blowers had low end and turbos had the top but now it seems to be the opposite.

Search this Thread