Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS keeps blowing off a pipe and shredding couplers, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS keeps blowing off a pipe and shredding couplers, HELP!!!

Ok, Larry's (lrry93) STS SS about 3weeks ago blew the short dogleg pipe that routes under the drvrs LCA off, and the over the axle discharge pipe. We pulled over and noted the silicone coupler had shredded coming off the turbo to the over axle dc pipe, which was hangin literally by a nylon reinforcement thread. Ok, calls STS and they say never heard of it, and must be install issue. He pays for a new pipe from STS, and buys some upgraded silicone couplers locally. Install, its all good, pipes are butted up to each other as much as possible. After only 5days of having the piping back on, the damn dogleg pieces blows off when he opens her up on the freeway...now pipe is dented pretty good, but at least he found it this time. Again, the silicone is shredded. Again he calls STS and no dice, they aint biting that this particular kit may have an issue. I really didnt help install it, but looking at every available picture, I think its all done correctly, and makes boost. WTF? I didnt see anything near the coupler to cut into it when we had it on the lift last time, but thinking maybe something is there cutting. Anyone else seen or heard of this? Its driving Larry and I nuts.
TIA.

Charlie
Old 10-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by CAT3
Ok, Larry's (lrry93) STS SS about 3weeks ago blew the short dogleg pipe that routes under the drvrs LCA off, and the over the axle discharge pipe. We pulled over and noted the silicone coupler had shredded coming off the turbo to the over axle dc pipe, which was hangin literally by a nylon reinforcement thread. Ok, calls STS and they say never heard of it, and must be install issue. He pays for a new pipe from STS, and buys some upgraded silicone couplers locally. Install, its all good, pipes are butted up to each other as much as possible. After only 5days of having the piping back on, the damn dogleg pieces blows off when he opens her up on the freeway...now pipe is dented pretty good, but at least he found it this time. Again, the silicone is shredded. Again he calls STS and no dice, they aint biting that this particular kit may have an issue. I really didnt help install it, but looking at every available picture, I think its all done correctly, and makes boost. WTF? I didnt see anything near the coupler to cut into it when we had it on the lift last time, but thinking maybe something is there cutting. Anyone else seen or heard of this? Its driving Larry and I nuts.
TIA.

Charlie
Does the pipe itself have a sharp edge. cuuting it from the inside.
Ricky.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Launching!

I had the EXACT
Old 10-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Launching!

ooops....lol...I had the exact same problem before...get the pipes beaded or have a tiny bit of weld on the ends...the problem went away for me after doing that
Old 10-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by socalstreetracer
ooops....lol...I had the exact same problem before...get the pipes beaded or have a tiny bit of weld on the ends...the problem went away for me after doing that
So as to create a lip correct? If so, thats what I recommended after finally looking over the pipes today. He found the dogleg, not as bad as I thought either. No sharp edges. Its like the silicone coupler just slides off (lack of bead or anything) and then once slid back it rocks back n forth until POP! STS says no way, but now Socal..has said same thing. Calling STS again in the morning with an email to this thread. Thanks.

Charlie
Old 10-04-2005, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

I will let the pics speak for there selves. I am very flustrated. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The pipes are dimpled from STS to catch grip. Is this not enough SoCal? Sorry to hear you had the same issue.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:02 AM
Restricted User

Dude, nice camera! Pics are very clear. Oh yeah, damn thats sucks bro! WTF? Maybe its a combo of dimples not being enough (kind of like a cute chic, sometimes its just not enough) and not having a blowoff/bypass. The Throttle blade snaps shut, pressurizes the pipe, expands the coupler which pulls the coupler clamps down off the pipe which creates freeplay, and then repeat until the coupler tears from the looseness created? How about it?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that is strange, i havent heard of silicon ripping like that.
looks like there is some undo stress pulling those apart.
not sure but maybe a hump hose will allow some play/flex in it so it wont tear like that.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

are you sure you dont have the piping too close to the axle or control arm and during suspension travel it's ripping it apart?

that is just too bizzaro.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

I ran for awhile with out a BOV on my M6. My pipes didn't pop like yours but I think what happened on mine is the turbo tried to spin backwards and a seal came loose on the charge side and allowd oil to get in to the charge pipe and it gumed up my MAF.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

I got a BOV and fixed the turbo and now the car pulls harder and I don't have any oiling problems.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

I looked and there is nothing that would be hitting the pipng. By the way this has never happened on the track. Only the street.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

why does that one pipe have a huge dent in it then?

it would take some serious effort to rip them clean apart like that, very weird.

will be interesting to hear what the problem ends up being. Next time you put it back together I would put the car in the air and run the rear suspension thru it's full travel up and down and check things out.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Mine would do the same thing, it never shredded the coupling but that same pipe would just blow off, only on the street, never at the track. id have to put it back on twice a week, and it would rattle out of the muffler hanger, id have to fix that everyday if i drove longer than 10 minutes. i had to orfer a replacement pipe also. sorry to hear about your troubles man.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

yah blowing a coupler off it totally different than this. he is literally ripping them apart.

as for blowing them off. beads on the end of the pipes, or at least dimples, and band clamps, instead of the crappy worm ones, all help greatly.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

So when the pipe coupler rips open, this would allow dirt and dust from the road surface to be drawn directly into the engine, right? I would be soooo pissed off.

I hope you guys find a good solution fast!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

This would keep the pipes from blowing apart, but im not sure if there is a bigger problem that the couplers wouldnt still tear. But if its just that the pressure from the turbo makes them blow apart then this will fix it.
Attached Thumbnails STS keeps blowing off a pipe and shredding couplers, HELP!!!-picture-203.jpg   STS keeps blowing off a pipe and shredding couplers, HELP!!!-picture-209.jpg   STS keeps blowing off a pipe and shredding couplers, HELP!!!-picture-211.jpg  
Old 10-04-2005, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Now that looks nice! Did you custom fab that up?

As for the **** getting sucked up in the engine I know carry pantyhose and a rubber band in my car to put over it when this crap happens.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bc56f100
This would keep the pipes from blowing apart, but im not sure if there is a bigger problem that the couplers wouldnt still tear. But if its just that the pressure from the turbo makes them blow apart then this will fix it.
That is a pretty slick idea. First time I've seen something like that.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Restricted User

I think sell the POS STS and go to Hi Flo Street Killer, GForce/Phamspeed, or NITROUS (My favorite ).

Quick Reply: STS keeps blowing off a pipe and shredding couplers, HELP!!!