Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

intercooler operation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005 | 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default intercooler operation

i have a ? about how intercoolers work. is it the same basic theroy with how a radiator works, like if your moving air is flowing through and keeping engine cool. but if your not moving the engine gets hot. so if you have a supercharger and your sitting still is the compressed air flowing through the intercooler, is it still going to be hot when it leaves the intercooler? i'm not to sure on this.
Old 10-24-2005 | 01:55 PM
Teching In

Assuming that the engine is idling when you say "sitting still", there will be some intake air flow through the 'cooler, and some cooling may still take place. This will depend on ambient air temperature and the temperature of the intake air after it passes through the blower. An intercooler is just a heat exchanger, and works most efficiently when both the intake/ambient air temperature differential and flow are high.
Old 10-24-2005 | 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

so pretty much standing idling in traffic at 200* isn't probably the best thing.
Old 10-24-2005 | 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

correct
Old 10-25-2005 | 05:50 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Heat is generated when air is compressed, so when you are sitting still your power adder isn't really compressing much air, so the intercooler isn't being needed anyway. Bob
Old 10-25-2005 | 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by marco427
Assuming that the engine is idling when you say "sitting still", there will be some intake air flow through the 'cooler, and some cooling may still take place. This will depend on ambient air temperature and the temperature of the intake air after it passes through the blower. An intercooler is just a heat exchanger, and works most efficiently when both the intake/ambient air temperature differential and flow are high.
Even though there isnt any air moving through the intercooler core it still has an efficiency rating of about 20%.
Old 10-25-2005 | 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

i'm just more concerned that if i put on an ati procharger with 8psi of boost. and i'm idling in traffic because of traffic jams and all, is that gonna cause any problems for me. And i'm idling at 200* or somewhere there about. Like detonation or anything like that.
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm just more concerned that if i put on an ati procharger with 8psi of boost. and i'm idling in traffic because of traffic jams and all, is that gonna cause any problems for me. And i'm idling at 200* or somewhere there about. Like detonation or anything like that.
First, you won't have ANY boost at idle. From experience in Texas, when you are "sitting still" like in traffic, you engine isn't putting out anything like full power. So it won't be generating the heat like WOT will. It will stay as cool as if it had no power adder (whatever that is, 190°, 200°, etc.) because there is no boost heat at idle or just off idle. Where the IC comes into play is when you get into the throttle, the boost comes in and the boosted air temp starts to climb (and you are moving, not brake stalling). The IC will cool the intake charge just like the radiator does the engine coolant.

The short answer is: No, you won't have any problems. HTH
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

At idle, depending on where your IC is, you may have more problems cooling if the IC blocks any part of the radiator that might normally get airflow. Other than that, what they said above.

Jim
Old 10-26-2005 | 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DeltaT
At idle, depending on where your IC is, you may have more problems cooling if the IC blocks any part of the radiator that might normally get airflow. Other than that, what they said above.

Jim
Ah, si, jes! Exactly so! My IC radiator was almost the size top-to-bottom and side-to-side as the engine radiator and didn't affect the idle temp enough to see. Not to worry. lol

Sorry, forgot to mention, at WOT for a significant time, the heat of the engine and the heat of the IC CAN affect your overall temp. But the airflow from the forward speed should more than overcome the problem if your radiators are properly sized. This is the only place where you might find a HD radiator for the engine useful. But only if it shows excessive temp climbs under those conditions. Usually it won't.

Last edited by TeeKay; 10-26-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2005 | 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

I mention that because it caused me issues before I modified the bumper with an air duct:

More because I chose the up n' down channel design where the tanks are top and bottom, and the top one blocks a decent chunk of radiator.

Very stable temps now, with 2 e-fans.

Jim
Old 10-28-2005 | 06:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DeltaT
I mention that because it caused me issues before I modified the bumper with an air duct:

More because I chose the up n' down channel design where the tanks are top and bottom, and the top one blocks a decent chunk of radiator.

Very stable temps now, with 2 e-fans.

Jim
Just curios on the size SC you have because the intercooler core looks extreamly small and I would assume the Delta P is really high.
Old 10-28-2005 | 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

SC is Vortech V-2 SQ S-trim. That pic only shows less than 1/2 of the IC - core is 23"Wx6"Tx4.5"deep, with 34 downchannels. It has a very low pressure drop.

Internal flow area is: 34Channels X 4.5"depth X 3/8" channel width= 57.38 square inches.

IC is rated at 1089cfm with 1.5psi drop.

I am measuring IC efficiencies of around 84% since I put good ducting to the IC.

Jim
Old 10-29-2005 | 07:14 AM
Launching!

The intercooler sounds good with the 1.5lbs. The area you listed does not include the amount for turbulator fins. Does it have internal fin? Just curios I am working on an upgrade for PSJ and i have came up with two seperate designs utilizing our new tube. This tube does not have any inner fin. I set the first one up like our CS-000AE-01. The next one was stood up like what Delta T has shown. The two units are getting the newer tube we have. The two units are both 14.00"x30.00" the one with the vertical core has 44 tubes and has an area of about 30.00" (no fin). The two units will be thermal modeled early next week. I just wish there was a little more room in the T/A's to broaden the core and make it a little thinner. The core on the one we stood up is 7.75"x26.00"x4.055". BTW what car is that setup in?
Old 10-29-2005 | 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, I have inner turbulator fins. They are not the densest I've seen but are pretty dense. I have not found a good way to model the impact of the turbulators on the internal area... maybe just take my 75-85% of my number? This setup is in my sleeper 4DR 81 Malibu Sedan...

Jim

Quick Reply: intercooler operation