Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Input Please - 2002 TA A4 + 427 & D1SC = Glowing Headers at Cruise??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Input Please - 2002 TA A4 + 427 & D1SC = Glowing Headers at Cruise??

Hey All,

Kind of an odd ball issue we have not run into before and looking for suggestions. As stated in the title, we have a 2002 TA with an A4 trans that had been built at another shop and has a 427 with LS6 heads, D1SC set for 15lbs boost, 60lb Motortron injectors as some base info. We had to install another block due to coolant leaks and otherwise all was the same.

Once back together we had her on the dyno for break-in and saw the headers getting cherry red. The owner said this was an issue previously also before we go the car before for the block repair. I tried some timing and fuel changes but no change in the glowing headers. I disconnected the blower completely and ran her NA and still the same. I then flashed her back to stock and made minimal changes to make her run and still has the glowing headers.

The fuel trims are in the -2 to -5 area and the wideband shows 14.5 or so at cruising. All of the tests at this point are with no SC attached to eliminate that as the problem.

I am trying a few more things, but am looking to see if anyone has had this issue before and what the fix was. Every once in a while I get one that beats me up. Talked to a couple of other good shops and have not had anyone else get this problem. One suggested a tight engine breaking in, but we have yet to have that here. Any input or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Mike Norris
Old 11-14-2005, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,303 Posts

what headers and exhaust does she have?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the car have cats ?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Put a timing light on it and make sure your getting the advance you think you are.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:21 PM
FormerVendor

Tuning or timing issue we had one that did that and the timing mark was off on the timing gears.

Nate
Old 11-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Launching!

it probably needs more timing advance, imho.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike Norris
Hey All,

Kind of an odd ball issue we have not run into before and looking for suggestions. As stated in the title, we have a 2002 TA with an A4 trans that had been built at another shop and has a 427 with LS6 heads, D1SC set for 15lbs boost, 60lb Motortron injectors as some base info. We had to install another block due to coolant leaks and otherwise all was the same.

Once back together we had her on the dyno for break-in and saw the headers getting cherry red. The owner said this was an issue previously also before we go the car before for the block repair. I tried some timing and fuel changes but no change in the glowing headers. I disconnected the blower completely and ran her NA and still the same. I then flashed her back to stock and made minimal changes to make her run and still has the glowing headers.

The fuel trims are in the -2 to -5 area and the wideband shows 14.5 or so at cruising. All of the tests at this point are with no SC attached to eliminate that as the problem.

I am trying a few more things, but am looking to see if anyone has had this issue before and what the fix was. Every once in a while I get one that beats me up. Talked to a couple of other good shops and have not had anyone else get this problem. One suggested a tight engine breaking in, but we have yet to have that here. Any input or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Mike Norris
Yes I believe it is normal because this isnt the first time ive seen this. Its because our fuel trims at cruise are a leaner condition then at say WOT.

Mike
Old 11-14-2005, 02:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Elan does not usually make for glowing red headers. Rich or lack of timing, unburned fuel is what causes glowing red headers.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Elan does not usually make for glowing red headers. Rich or lack of timing, unburned fuel is what causes glowing red headers.
Im just going by what ive seen on the dyno, when you are using the load factor of a dyno jet with the car on cruise control for break it. It was sitting about 15:1 on the wideband....which is what is observed to be leaner then say 12.5:1.

I also believe in cruise mode the car is seeing quite a bit more timing then say at WOT.

Mike
Old 11-14-2005, 04:28 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for all the input. I kept her in open loop and had her dump more fuel, still glowing but not as bad. I then went and put timing at 40* in the cruise area and she seems to be better if not okay. We were reading 33-35* previously, so matbe we got it. I will build a better tune tomorrow and see what she gives me and go from there. Thanks again.

Mike Norris
Old 11-14-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

It almost sounds like a car with clogged up cats. Maybe a sensor not reading right. I have not seen an ls1 run exhaust temps hot enough to be glowing. Might even swap out injectors to see if they could be a problem.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the input. I kept her in open loop and had her dump more fuel, still glowing but not as bad. I then went and put timing at 40* in the cruise area and she seems to be better if not okay. We were reading 33-35* previously, so matbe we got it. I will build a better tune tomorrow and see what she gives me and go from there. Thanks again.

Mike Norris
My tuner had this problem with my car. Called all over changed the timing, fuel everything with no resolution. I had the headers removed sent them and got them jethot coated(black) and no more problem. Just my .02
Old 11-15-2005, 06:18 AM
FormerVendor

I will see today if the extra timing helped at the cruise area. It looks like a stock cube engine at normal idle area will have 39-40* timing. With the extra cubes and D1SC the MAF registers quite a bit extra air which the MAF sees as more load thus reducing timing to the 33* area according to the timing tables.

With the coated headers, it may not be a seen issue anymore, but most likely still very hot internally as compared to others which long term may cause issues. I do not have anything to back that up, just an educated guess.

Thanks again everyone.

Mike Norris
Old 11-15-2005, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

stick an EGT gauge in one of the runners or by the collector. Or at least use a thermal gun and get a temp reading, 1000-1200 is pretty normal for highway cruise speeds.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will see today if the extra timing helped at the cruise area. It looks like a stock cube engine at normal idle area will have 39-40* timing. With the extra cubes and D1SC the MAF registers quite a bit extra air which the MAF sees as more load thus reducing timing to the 33* area according to the timing tables.

With the coated headers, it may not be a seen issue anymore, but most likely still very hot internally as compared to others which long term may cause issues. I do not have anything to back that up, just an educated guess.

Thanks again everyone.

Mike Norris
I like that explanation. Sounds plausable. I figured timing would be more based off the map sensor than the maf though. I thought that maf reading related more to fuel than spark.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:48 AM
FormerVendor

Now if I can just keep a belt on it
Old 11-17-2005, 07:03 AM
10 Second Club

Call Sdce Mike.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

I have seen that before when the cats are plugged.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 PM
FormerVendor

No cats. In open lopp and at about 13.0-1 A/F crusing it is just starting to show orange. I will try at 12.0-1 A/F crusing just to see what happens. This reading is with a wideband at the header collector. Thanks

Mike
Old 11-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Do both headers glow or just one?
DO you have a header leak?
DO the tubes glow or just at the collector?

Quick Reply: Input Please - 2002 TA A4 + 427 & D1SC = Glowing Headers at Cruise??