Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Thermal coatings???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermal coatings???

I did a search and didn't turn up with anything. What I'm looking for is some thermal coatings for turbo headers/hot parts, and also some coatings for the turbine side of the turbo, that will hold in heat, and also prevent rusting.

I'm seriously taking a look at the PTK top mount TT kit for my Z06, and my concern is heat being that close to the hood. I looked at SwainTech, and they offer a coating that appears to be a great thermal bearing, but, my only gripe is that it is a white coating, and white just isn't 'bling' enough for me. I was wondering if any companys offer a coating similar to the one that Swain offers, but hopefully in a chrome/polished/silver look.

Opinions? on the hot parts coatings, and the turbo coatings?

Thanks,
Austin Long
Old 01-15-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.hpcoatings.com/hipercoat_extreme.htm

http://www.swaintech.com/header.html

im looking into swaintech to coat my stuff
Old 01-15-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont have to worry about it the ptk kit already comes with ceramic coating, plus turbo blankets and a heat sheilds
Old 01-15-2006, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
you dont have to worry about it the ptk kit already comes with ceramic coating, plus turbo blankets and a heat sheilds
Yea, I saw that. But I was hoping to find something a little better.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I will be ordering the PTK TT kit for my Z06 very soon and I have been looking at going with swaintech coating. I feel your pain on the bling because I really dont like that flat white that the 'white lightning' coating comes in. Im sure it can be painted but I would really like it to look like this

Old 01-29-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

after awhile, the bling coating on the headers is going to get dull spots from the heat. there's no way around it with the polished silver coating. all of my hot parts are done in satin black for that reason. with the shields supplied by ptk, you will have no underhood heat issues.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question on the thermal/ceramic coatings... do they do the inside of the manifold too, or just the outside? If they do the inside, how are you supposed to proplerly prep a cast iron manifold, ie get the rest out?? Is anyone worried about the coating flaking off and going into the turbine?

-Dave
Old 02-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

www.lo-ko.com is out here by me and they do excellent work on all types of coatings
Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Joel@

We coat all our hot-parts for our turbo kit in and out, if wanted. Black is good up to 2000deg and silver is good to 1400deg. Let us know if we can help.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll tell you what. That swaintech flat out rocks. My buddy and I were driving back from picking up his new Z06 from SC. Well, we were on the road for 4 hours straight and pulled in to get gas. I popped the hood and said to him "Let's see how good this stuff really is." I then PUT MY HAND ON THE HEADDER FOR 10 SEC before my hand even felt hot. That stuff is amazing. His was a gray color though. I think you can get the coating tinted if you want.