Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS 607RWHP 11.01 ET... and a #7 Piston

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Great times and great pwr & tq though! I really wouldn't have expected a stock block/internals to live with that kind of power anyway though. Question- I scanned the thread and I don't think I saw what your A/F was or timing was? Also IAT? I'm just curious. I don't think your motor would have lived long with that much power regardless. Good luck w/ your new set up!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:25 PM
9 Second Club

Yea John... that is what I smelled like. Any clue why I would throw a #7 misfire then the engine temp climb's rapidly?

Will... What spider said
Old 02-01-2006, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyborg
I really wouldn't have expected a stock block/internals to live with that kind of power anyway though.
With good gas and good tuning it shouldn't be an issue. #7 always breaks for a reason, that reason is detonation caused by lack of fuel. #7 is the last cyl to get fuel from the rail.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zombie
With good gas and good tuning it shouldn't be an issue.
Really? I would have thought that upwards of 550 on stock hypernetic pistons, stock connecting rods, etc. would be running on luck even with great gas and a great tune
Originally Posted by Zombie
#7 always breaks for a reason, that reason is detonation caused by lack of fuel. #7 is the last cyl to get fuel from the rail.
I'm well aware of the #7 lean condition issue, although I though it was due to the shape of a front entry intake rather than the last injector on the rail. Anyhow, I was mostly interested in what his A/F looked like at the time, if he happend to be logging it. Timing and IAT would be interesting to know also to get an idea of under what conditions things start getting hurt when your on the limit.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....I'm well aware of the #7 lean condition issue, although I though it was due to the shape of a front entry intake rather than the last injector on the rail.....
I've heard both argued here in the 8 months that I have been 'hanging out'...
Old 02-01-2006, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Really? I would have thought that upwards of 550 on stock hypernetic pistons, stock connecting rods, etc. would be running on luck even with great gas and a great tune I'm well aware of the #7 lean condition issue, although I though it was due to the shape of a front entry intake rather than the last injector on the rail.
I've heard people mention the intake design before but I really don't buy into it too much. Why wouldn't #8 break more often? It just seems more likely that is't a not enough fuel issue vs a too much air issue.

Stock rods are plenty strong, rod bolts leave a bit to be desired, but damage to them comes from excessive rpm mainly, not power. Most people don't realize that hypereutectic pistons are really strong, probably similar in strength to a forged piston of identical design. Thy don't have as much crown as a forged piston does though and that plays a large role in strength as well. Forged pistons can take a lot more abuse than a hyper because they are not brittle like a hyper piston is. That leaves more margine for error in the tuning.

My friend has a stock motor with a t76 on it, he is going to push it until it pops, I'm tuning it. We are thinking we can get away with 17psi on a regular basis with good gas. Gotta adress the pegged maf issue though.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Ok... well i dont want to read through the entire thread... nbut have you torn into the motor yet to find out what is wrong?

I mean, you would get a #7 missfire if you burst a headgasket because the water flowing into the cylinder (you said you smelt it) would put out the spark. That would give you the misfire. same for liftin a head.

Anyone want to chime in and tell me if im wrong or write?
Old 02-01-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bet its a blown head gasket on cylinder #7 from the water jacket to the combustion chamber...
Old 02-01-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

i almost garauntee it is a head gasket. propable cause is a combination of too small injector and last one in line for fuel.

btw - do a search for mike browns tt ce. he went 9.7-9.9 and never pulled a valve cover. it was an incon tt kit with meth. he put down over 700 rwhp and never had a problem with it.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:25 PM
9 Second Club

Well I will tell you guys what.... Your opinions that my engine is ok sure makes me feel better
Old 02-02-2006, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Already been answered but yeah the plug is getting wet.

When you tearing the big banana down?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:45 PM
9 Second Club

Soon as I get back from FT Lauderdale. I am now in a debate if I want to put her back together and still try to get her in the 10's on a stock block. I think I have been beat to more powerful STS Setups.... but I would still like to be the first capable of it on a stock block. Then I want to be the first in the 9's When is the first LS1Tech race for the season John?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dragframe
Ok... well i dont want to read through the entire thread... nbut have you torn into the motor yet to find out what is wrong?

I mean, you would get a #7 missfire if you burst a headgasket because the water flowing into the cylinder (you said you smelt it) would put out the spark. That would give you the misfire. same for liftin a head.

Anyone want to chime in and tell me if im wrong or write?
Originally Posted by longrange4u
Well I will tell you guys what.... Your opinions that my engine is ok sure makes me feel better

that and the fact that it would draw water into the cylinder causing it to try and hydro lock slightly. on that note, you may of caused a slight fracture on a rod, just something to keep in mind. would suck though, I would like to see 10's out of it.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:11 AM
12 Second Club

on my last car when my head gasket blew i got a misfire code (but it didnt initially feel like a misfire) and the temps immediately started going up, i was in the middle of a trip from MD to CT though so one of i just limped it the rest of the way and then shot it.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:21 PM
9 Second Club

spy... yea I almost shot her out of pure frustration. If I had run a 10.99 and broke her I would have been ok... but an 11.01?!? ****....

Quick Reply: STS 607RWHP 11.01 ET... and a #7 Piston