Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Compact air filter for the GT42, pics within.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Compact air filter for the GT42, pics within.

Well for those who are running a GT42 and are limited on space. I found a NICE airfilter to solve tight space problems.

I looked everywhere for a good filter to replace my compact(5.5Long with a 5 ID opening) K&N cone filter that was now too long because I messed up a measurement when fabbing up my truck manifold kit.

My search led me to place in Australia....damn those aussie guys have some good products over there

I bought a custom pod filter that specs out at
127mmx100mmx180mm or 5in x 4in x 7in for us Americans.

Flange id x filter thickness x filter width

Here are few shots of it on the car/turbo and a few of the box and prefilter as well. You can see the reinforcement inside the filter both top and bottom. These were designed with FI in mind. No fear of it collapsing.
It has more surface area than my ol K&N. It also breathes from the top as well. Can't beat it for how compact it is but offers quite a bit more surface area too.

Ran me just over $100 shipped, for the filter, pre filter and a bottle of oil treatment and 20 bucks for shipping from AUS to here.

It shipped out on the 18th and I got it today.

So for those who are stuck with limited space, go to the site listed on the box and go under custom pods. You'll find a ton of filter sizes for almost any turbo.

Hope this helps a few of you out there, no more turbo screen for me

Last edited by frcefed98; 01-30-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a giant sponge....good luck with it
Old 01-30-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

nice find!
Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its better than the screen/mesh I was running for about a month(had to do the mesh out of necessity). Fits like it was made for that space too.

I'd be in a real jam if I couldn't find a filter especially since the car is driven daily. I was shittin bricks when it snowed for half a day over here and I had to drive home from work in the instant slush with nothing but a mesh turbo screen and a waxing bonnet over that.....it was all I had in the car I had to make some sort of prefilter to get me home that day.

I was stoked to see that the filter showed today no more fears of running around in dusty, snowy, rainy conditions again.

Thought i'd share a great design for a filter instead of those hard to place cone filters.

J
Old 01-31-2006, 07:10 AM
9 Second Club

Cool, I may look into those pretty soon
Old 01-31-2006, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the CFM rating that it can pull through it???
Old 01-31-2006, 12:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Nice find, I would also like to hear the CFM rating.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

As for the CFM ratings, they can be custom made to any specific airflow requirements if needed.

I told em it was a turbocharged app, and that the airfilter would be mounting directly to the turbo itself for space limitation reasons.

They rec'ed the one I got above.

But i'm not really worried on CFM rating, I was just worried about having an airfilter on the car since its a DD. The prefilter is probably overkill for the street, but it tends to get dusty here in albuquerque with all the road construction going on.

For all out racing purposes i'll slap the turboscreen back on the car, so that'll be the best of both worlds. Filter for the street, and screen for high flowing track fun.

J
Old 01-31-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like the same material used on my dirt bike filter. They work really good keeping crap out. It needs to be cleaned a lot more often though (Maybe its the whole part of a dirt bike though huh? ).

Last edited by ~RedLineLs1~; 01-31-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I am in the midst of emailing back and fourth with them. They said hey dont hav any cfm data, but they suspect it will flow 1000cfm or up to 450hp...

I asked them how it will fair with a turbocharged 383 making 800hp...still waiting on response.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Might not be bad for the street then, but it might restrict power at the track, or even get sucked in...
Old 01-31-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RealQuick
They said hey dont hav any cfm data, but they suspect it will flow 1000cfm or up to 450hp...

I asked them how it will fair with a turbocharged 383 making 800hp...still waiting on response.
On there PDF page it said they can build a custom filter to any airflow needed. Guess they should read their own material.

PSJ it'll do fine driving around the city, if you are going to a full tilt street race or hammer on it at the track, don't run anything that might be a restriction to the turbo like a filter... run a mesh screen of whatever mesh material that would make you feel safe or run nothing and have no doubt about power production

I really don't see the turbo sucking this filter in as its bonded to the flange and it has a thick metal mesh cage with support up top to keep it from caving in.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But yeah if you want something that'll flow a ton in a tight space you won't find it in a air filter that is small...just too impossible with limited surface area. Go big or go home goes hand in hand with high flowing air filters. Try to get a foot long 5 inch ID filter in the tiny space that I have, its not going to happen.

That was the reason for my post, the GT42 is huge with a huge 5in opening on the compressor housing. Packaging is tight so I had to come up with a filter of some sort because my car is driven Mon-Sat every week and to run no filter all the time is not good in my book.

So to those who are compromised on space and need a filter for everyday driving, look at these filters as they sit right on the turbo and are compact with a lot of surface area

K&N's just stick too far out and my old one didn't offer as much surface area to breathe through for my turbo.

So its a compromise, filter for the street, no filter for all out WOT fun. All it takes is a flat head screw driver and your turbo is breathing easy at the track. No need to over analyze everything.

Last edited by frcefed98; 01-31-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

Could you not find a reg filter any where that would work?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by frcefed98

So its a compromise, filter for the street, no filter for all out WOT fun. All it takes is a flat head screw driver and your turbo is breathing easy at the track. No need to over analyze everything.
I agree! Still a great find!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:53 PM
8 Second Club

Unifilters are suppose to be as good as K&N's atleast in the ATV world. I am buying one for my 400EX
Old 01-31-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should of known it would be red..........
Good thing it said red on the pictures huh ya color blind bastage.....
Looking awsome bro. Glad ya shared for others that are in the same boat.
Any news on hitting the dyno up again or the track opening???
Take care
Kyle
Old 01-31-2006, 10:03 PM
9 Second Club

I didnt notice the pics.Man that is a tight space!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I emailed them also, and got the same response. I asked them if they had anything that would suit my brothers (frcefed) needs, but havent heard back from them either. But, like J said, he got this so he could run around on the street for daily driving and will run his screen when the time comes. So, all in all not a bad little filter. Im sure they can make or do have a filter that will flow the cfm for his set up. We'll see....

Eric

I am in the midst of emailing back and fourth with them. They said hey dont hav any cfm data, but they suspect it will flow 1000cfm or up to 450hp...

Old 01-31-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

They got back to me and they recommended the one your bro got. The web page is wrong though.

The P/N's are wrong! If you order, tell them the size you want and not the P/N. They said their columns on diameter and length got switched, so again, dont order by P/N. Ask for the size you want.

Jon
Old 02-01-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They got back to me and they recommended the one your bro got. The web page is wrong though.

The P/N's are wrong! If you order, tell them the size you want and not the P/N. They said their columns on diameter and length got switched, so again, dont order by P/N. Ask for the size you want.

Jon

Thats good info to know before ya order shipping the wrong one back to AUS would suck...

Quick Reply: Compact air filter for the GT42, pics within.