Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts dealers question or custom rear turbo owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sts dealers question or custom rear turbo owners

is it possible to buy the hot parts and intake only. i have my turbo already and just need the tube running to the intake and hot parts. Also, if anyone has made there own rear turbo setup. what did you use for the piping from the turbo to the throttlebody? stainless?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

STS won't sell you anything individually unless your a customer.

If your doing a rear mount, you'll just use your stock exhaust. Then just buy some U's and straight sections of HPC coated pipe (summit or ebay) and have a local exhaust shop do the bending. Then buy the silicone couplers and some brackets that will bolt where subframe connectors go. Weld those to the intake piping. Plain rectangular brackets work good just drill the proper size holes.

You said you have the turbo. What are you using for a pump, lines, vacuum, pcv, check valves? I'm building a custom setup as well, do you have any pics of yours?

if you don't already have a pump, there's a lot of guys using a mocal diff cooling pump. Its avail at racerwholeparts.com (I think that's the site). Just search and you'll find it
Old 03-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Banned

hey we need to talk more im just starting and i found my turbo is too small, im going to go with a t 70, the oiling im still trying to figure out. i wish sts would sell parts separate, kinda of a rip for what you get i think
Old 03-02-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

what turbo did you originally have? A 60/67 is pretty decent for stock cubes. You can basically duplicate sts setup with that pump for the oil. Just wire into accessories to turn on and mount it near rear axle where sts does. tap the filter piece for the feed line and you can use the oil cap for the return line. Just run the line next to your brake lines up to the engine bay and drill a fitting into the cap.

Then use a check valve to prevent extra oil and one near the turbo to prevent oil from pooling in while the car is off (if you havent already done so). PM me if you want more details ill see what i can do, ive only done so much on my setup so most of what i know is just in writing/parts. GL
Old 03-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
what turbo did you originally have? A 60/67 is pretty decent for stock cubes. You can basically duplicate sts setup with that pump for the oil. Just wire into accessories to turn on and mount it near rear axle where sts does. tap the filter piece for the feed line and you can use the oil cap for the return line. Just run the line next to your brake lines up to the engine bay and drill a fitting into the cap.

Then use a check valve to prevent extra oil and one near the turbo to prevent oil from pooling in while the car is off (if you havent already done so). PM me if you want more details ill see what i can do, ive only done so much on my setup so most of what i know is just in writing/parts. GL
what r u going to use for the piping to the intake, can stainless be used? or does it have to be coated. also what size. im going to stay stock cubes but swap in some low compression pistons and arp bolts.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

the piping is just HPC coated aluminum. Stainless can be used. Just make sure its not galvanized and coating is good to keep temps down. You want it to be as cold as possible. The sts kits come with 2 1/4 size pipes up to the maf.

i would go with some LQ9 heads to lower compression. Your fine without a forged bottom if your running relatively low boost. What kind of numbers are you lookin for? you can be safe with 8-9psi and an IC and be making around 550rwhp. just keep the tune fat. if you have bigger future plans i would tear it down.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

i was going to throw in some low compression pistons and arp bolts in the botte,=m, i figured that would allow me to run 11-12 lbs of boost safely and make a upper 500 rwhp.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like you guys have it all figured out. Just a word to the wise, you already mentioned it but deffinately get the restrictor going into the turbo and stay away from the Tilton rear end oil pumps. They are LOUD, I can speak from experience.
Wolfee
Old 03-04-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

what do you mean by restrictor? the check valves? and whats a tilton pump?
Old 03-04-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
is it possible to buy the hot parts and intake only. i have my turbo already and just need the tube running to the intake and hot parts. Also, if anyone has made there own rear turbo setup. what did you use for the piping from the turbo to the throttlebody? stainless?
I did my own custom on a Silverado. I used Aluminum piping.

If I did another custom setup on a truck it would be a front mount. It be the same amount of work with better results IMHO
Old 03-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MNC5
I did my own custom on a Silverado. I used Aluminum piping.

If I did another custom setup on a truck it would be a front mount. It be the same amount of work with better results IMHO

aluminum pipiing is ok to use?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes but consider getting it coated to keep it cool.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would not coat the aluminum. It will not rust and will dissapate the heat very well.
STS uses mild steel that is coated with a non thermal coating, not regular old
ceramic coating.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

gotcha. so do you prefer coated mild steel over aluminum
Old 03-24-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use the aluminum when I can. We did a custom rear kit on a Blazer and everywhere I could I used aluminum and if the pipe was going to be close to any heat or other metal that could damage it I used stainless.
With the aluminum, the IAT's were better than using steel.