Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My Custom STS exhaust version 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My Custom STS exhaust version 1

Not too bad for 2 rookie welders and some car ramps

Overall I would have liked to tuck the pipe going accross up higher but it does such a great job hiding the turbo I am going to leave it.

What your seeing is my dual exhaust off the turbo. It is somewhat modular in that I can unbolt it all and run wide open. I can unbolt one half and run thru 1 muffler cutout capped and vent the wastegate to the air. (Sounds so much better with the wastegate muffled BTW) Or run with the cutout open, or run the whole thing like I do but it's still easy to remove if need be.

There are things that can / could be done better. IE tuck the pipe higher, get the tips to exit more evenly, etc... Someday that will get done. Also where you still see non black pipe that will get painted as well to further blend in.

Overall I love it. Car sounds like a mild cat back with a turbo now and not a big ol whistle tip. woooo woooo. Much much quieter than a dump or the single exit, no muffler setup they provide. Sound levels are equivalent to when I had my dynomax ultraflow on the car. Very reasonable.

Oh and also you can see my custom discharge pipe I made out of an old Y pipe. I still need to make a hanger for it and I can pull it up another inch or two but even as is, zero ground clearance issues. Whole lot less bends, no dinky pipe coming off the turbo, etc....

Enjoy.

Last edited by Blackbird; 04-14-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work! I had toyed with trying the supertrapp as well. The GTO has the turbo further back and there is just no room for any kind of muffler. I would like to quiet mine down some WITHOUT impacting performance, and I don't know if that is possible.

I really wish that STS would work this out a bit themselves, as that is a big drawback in these cars [noise]. Don't get me wrong, when you are allowing someone to experience the boost, they are BEHIND you, and get to hear the sound...which is cool. I just don't want to listen to it when cruising around at lower speeds when it is most noticeable.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

actually they are dynomax bullets. I hacked up my 8 year old supertrapps that were rusted out internally (old style before they went to stainless) to make tips. I would have used the whole supertrapp muffler if they had still been good or if I wasn't too cheap to go buy new ones. The bullets were like $30 each where the new supertrapps would have been $120 each. It was an easy decision for me being on a tight budget with the car these days to just go with the bullets.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Is that some custom fab work on the intercooler piping running on your turbo to the front of your car? Mine runs up over the axel and actually sort of prefer it over the axel. But your dual exhaust is awesome. I wish I could pull something like that off on my car. I probably could just a bit to lazy. I like how from the back there's absolutely nothing that says "hey look at my turbo" I'm sick of getting that these days. "is that supercharged?".."yeah, buddy, it's a really LONG pulley" :rollseyes: How much power are you putting down w/ your STS setup?
Old 04-14-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

yes that pipe is custom. It's actually an old Y pipe I hacked up to work.
when I got the kit way back when the dinky pipe going up over the axle and such seemed like such the restriction to me. Well with the power that folks are making I can see its not much of any of one but I made the pipe so I am using it.

as for power have not dyno'd it yet. will probably do so in a few weeks.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

looks nice.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

well done. I was waiting for someone to fab up something like this
Old 04-14-2006, 02:17 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Looks pretty good Heath. Havent seen you around in a while..

Kalifornia doesnt say anything about STS systems or do people just take them off for IM?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Excellent, thanks for posting the pics, this is gonna help me out considerably.
That is after I get the Bird back on the active list.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kp
Looks pretty good Heath. Havent seen you around in a while..

Kalifornia doesnt say anything about STS systems or do people just take them off for IM?
i have heard of a local sts f-bod with a single cat that passed IM.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lookin good Heath, glad to see some more pics of the car. Do you think you'll be able to get it to the track soon?
J
Old 04-14-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Luckily the CARB # takes care of that, one of the main reasons I went with this system. A local car here just passed no problem. I still have the cats, air pump, etc.... so it "should" be easy to smog. It's all legal.

J - I have been screwing around with the tunes so much I haven't even taken it to get dialed in on Synergy's dyno yet. As of yesterday I am playing with our bastardized 2 bar. More than likely will take the plunge on the maftpro and call it a day. So after it's all dialed in I may hit the track at least once. I am a very poor drag racer though. My best 60' to date is 2.4 when I had the Powerdyne, but it did go 117mph I am getting drag nittos though since all street tires do is spin now so maybe I can pull off a 2.0 and a sub 13 timeslip
Old 04-14-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear you Heath, driving this turbo bastard down the track is A LOT different than the ol ATI set up. At least I went 12.7's@115 with street tires

Having fun with the 2 bar hack yet...i'm still having fun with new tunes everyday to see what works and what doesn't.

J
Old 04-14-2006, 09:07 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

sweet job! that rear view looks mean! nice work.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:14 PM
NKAWTG...N

looks nice! i just think a wider tip would fill the gap better. like gmmg tips or something ovalish. looks good though!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Freaking Hoss!! I do love the pic of bumper and the exhaust with you in the reflection...good showmanship! Draw up the design and market that nagga. I've only seen a couple other guys do this. Once I buy mine and put it on, I'm taking it to this muffler shop guy I've worked with before...I imagine he'll hook me up with something similar to this. Great work!!
Old 04-15-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks! Yes a muffler shop with the car on a lift should be able to do an even nicer job. Post pics when you get yours done.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Heath,

So you finally got it painted like you described. You guys are true master craftsmen. BTW, Rick at Synergy ended up painting the mufflers for my STS TT system. I will take some pictures when it stops raining. Thanks again for convincing me to install my turbos.

Lewis
Old 04-16-2006, 12:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, that looks great. I was thinking of doing something like that, with my 4" sewer pipes just to cover the turbo. Keep up the good work, that looks excellent!
Old 04-16-2006, 05:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

So is the car lowered at all? Any clearance issues driving once to ever?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed

Quick Reply: My Custom STS exhaust version 1