Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New exhaust manifold option for DIY'er turbo kits???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

FYI the outlet is 2" and probably wont clear A/C, although I havent tried. Heres my car.
Attached Thumbnails New exhaust manifold option for DIY'er turbo kits???-nova-010.jpg   New exhaust manifold option for DIY'er turbo kits???-turbo-005.jpg  
Old 05-10-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

more pics
Attached Thumbnails New exhaust manifold option for DIY'er turbo kits???-turbo-004.jpg   New exhaust manifold option for DIY'er turbo kits???-intercooler-car-002.jpg   New exhaust manifold option for DIY'er turbo kits???-new-york-039.jpg   New exhaust manifold option for DIY'er turbo kits???-new-york-037.jpg  
Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting up, like I said on the other site, awesome build up.

A/C or not, this looks to be pretty promising if it all packages up well in a 4th gen engine compartment.

From the second pic in the first post, the compressor for a/c might barely clear as you can see the mounting bosses for the a/c compressor brackets in relation to the manifold. The outlet looks to be the same diameter as the truck manifolds I have on the car now.
J
Old 05-10-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No go for top mount C5 TT cast headers.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone looked at the LS7 ex mani's.. same as ls2? I have a set here.. but never looked at them close...came off a frineds car for headers...I imagine they are same as c6 ls2, just larger diameter???
Old 05-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are LS2 Corvette manifolds, right? If so, I tried my pair off the C6 on the racecar and those outlet flanges run right into the shock towers. No room at all to fit them in the 4th gen. I tried them upside down with the flanges aimed to the front of the car, no room at all there.

But, they might work for my '69 Camaro project
Yes...and well.... dangit..... I haven't tried to fit them yet, but at least you saved me the work. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Turbo Addict

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Where are you putting the turbo? High by the battery tray? That will be an interesting build for sure.
Oops, just saw this.... yes that was what i was planning on...also still keeping everything above the K-member and allow for a 3.5" DP if i end up needing it. We'll see, i am going to make a few passes with my current set-up first.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Exactly Don, Don't need to use both. The truck mani on the driver side and the GP mani on the pass side.

Even if it doesn't allow A/C usage it still outlets better on the passenger side for those with stock K members. Those with stock k members using both truck manifolds have to notch the K member on the passenger side for the manifold to clear it.

J

I used to have BMR tubular but it broke and now i have a stock k-member back in there. Just how much does the stock K-member have to be notched if truck mani's are used on the pass side? anyone have pix?

also does anyone with a DIY truck manifold setup have pix of underneath their car or possibly the build?

Rice ETR, soon if you've got some time i'd like to drive down your way and and check out your car. i'm right across the bridge into MD by Maryland International Raceway
Old 05-12-2006, 05:16 AM
Turbo Addict

Rice ETR, soon if you've got some time i'd like to drive down your way and and check out your car. i'm right across the bridge into MD by Maryland International Raceway
Sure thing man..let me know.
I might be up at MIR in the near future for a race or two with the RPM gang, we could just meet there to save you time on driving.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DSG
I am assuming that the Impala SS is the same set up?
Yes, Impalla SS, Grand Prix GXP and Monte Carlo SS should all have the same set-up with the V8.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01Lowboy
I used to have BMR tubular but it broke and now i have a stock k-member back in there. Just how much does the stock K-member have to be notched if truck mani's are used on the pass side? anyone have pix?

also does anyone with a DIY truck manifold setup have pix of underneath their car or possibly the build?

As for notching the stocker, PM KAO's I think he is running the stock kmember with a truck kit. But you do have to notch it.

If you are looking for pics of a truck kit, go into my profile and click on the options that lists "all threads started by user" or something like that. That'll list my threads that I posted pics in. Better to do that than trying to use the search feature.

J
Old 05-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by frcefed98
As for notching the stocker, PM KAO's I think he is running the stock kmember with a truck kit. But you do have to notch it.

If you are looking for pics of a truck kit, go into my profile and click on the options that lists "all threads started by user" or something like that. That'll list my threads that I posted pics in. Better to do that than trying to use the search feature.

J
Kool thanks.

Yea i'm looking to do a truck kit and possibly try with this new fwd 5.3 manifold if that works out w/o having to notch.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmn?we need someone to see if it works w/ A/C
Old 05-12-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

guys im doing my own turbo kit heres wat im using.truck mani driver side.pst alternator relocation kit $400.stock01-02 ls1 none egr mani pass side pointing back then a crossover pipe to the driver side to meet up with the truck mani and then a flange and the turbo.then i will nothc my k member to run a 3.5 or 4" oval downpipe to the back.opions wanted
Old 05-12-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd just use two truck manifolds, makes the whole thing cleaner and easier to do/route.

Or be a trailblazer and use the 5.3 car manifold on the passenger side
Old 05-12-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i mean i already bought both set of manifolds and dont wanna go buy another one and wat about if it messes with the a/c i want my a/c its miami its hot,u feel me.hey one quick question do u have to relocate the fans exc?i mean i also wanna run a intercooler
Old 05-12-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I live in the desert southwest...its dry/hot and I have no A/C but yeah I hear ya...a/c is nice...so I have a V6 99 'bird to putt around in when I need a/c

Yep more than likely you'll have to relocate the fans. I had too. I also run a FMIC, plenty of room in front to do both (fan relocation/FMIC)

J
Old 05-12-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Has anybody been able to measure how much of a difference there would be between the two different manifolds..???? Is it a considerable difference where you could run a much larger downpipe....????
Old 05-13-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

fed98 can u relocate the stock fans?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

best you can do is mount the turbo high and tight in front of the crank and trim the plastic on the fan shroud...even then I don't know if it'll work. It boils down to where you are going to place the turbo. If its a smaller turbo, you can place it up high where the battery sits and relocate the battery to the back...

It'll take some thinking up, but I'm sure you can manage to keep em in place, if you can you are doing great because the stock fans kick ***.

Other options are, pusher fans...-or-
Relocate the radiator further foward by chopping the radiator support then adding a set of pullers.

J

Quick Reply: New exhaust manifold option for DIY'er turbo kits???