Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS or Maggie or ECS on a C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS or Maggie or ECS on a C6

First and foremost I know this has been BEAT TO DEATH, my questions are very specific.

I just finished looking over a dyno from a GTO with the STS system and saw that to reach 490 rwtq at 6psi it didnt get there until almost 5800k. The maggie will make that same power power at 2500-3000. The ECS kit with a boost restrictor will spin up almost as fast as the Maggie.

Ok so here I go..
I have a C6 and want to do a FI system. Currently I am looking at either the STS, ECS NOVI1200, or the Maggie.

Now a few things to consider

1) I am getting the Maggie for about 1500 off the normal price
2) But the maggie also has hood issues and expandibility issues
3) All three are proven to make great power!
4) Maggie has heat soak, NOVI less and the STS even less
5) Cost...
ECS NOVI (8995 installed and tuned w/ 60#mortons, KB boost a pump, and a pillar w/ gauges)=8995
Maggie w/ injec and boost a pump (4800, 300-500 tune, 1000 hood and no labor) 6300
STS (7995 BASE KIT, no labor tune 300-500) 8500 (w/o injectors/boost a pump, base turbos, etc) BASE KIT!!!!

How I drive ....

Once a week I go to the store.
Maybe to a car show...more about driving around being loud and fast...I like people to hear and see me Thats why I have a yellow vette and bullets!

What is your opinion on the best option for me. Oh and I can order the NOVI kit for 6800

One more question:

Is there anyone in the VA/MD/DC area that would be interested in helping me install one of these kits and has expeirence pinning the harmonic balancer?
PLEEEEASASESEEEEEEEE

Thanks guys!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for that price...do the maggie. you maintain the ability to work on the car easily, its a weekend to intsall, and its the least hardcore of the bunch which is good. unless youre gonna make an all out race car, do the maggie. you also will spare your trans and rear by doin the maggie. great power increase, nice tq "curve" etc. thats just my opinoin after doing a tti kit on a c5. its no joke a pita AND i cannot go past 40% throttle in 1st, 60% in 2nd, and 70% in 3rd without roasting my 18x11 bgf drag radials, now as cool as that may seem...its like power im not using...just my 2 cents.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Did you ever consider a KB or Procharger?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Wink

Camaro_Zach- Im sure with that set up you have tires are a monthly purchase!!

I am sure I would have similar results with a cam/maggie setup Like I said I've seen the TT setups on the C6 and well I just dont like the power curve..or lack there of. I rarely have the oppurtunity to take my car to redline either. I think I could install the maggie but I dont know about pinning the crank. Ive never taken apart a front end...so....

LSs1Power-
The ATI is proven yes, but if I were going to go with a centri system if would be ECS for sure. There kit has way better options from injector size to intercooler size , hell even gauges are included!!! Also you dont have to cut and weld like the ATI they offer a new radiator bracket!!!!

How kick *** is that?

The KB Blower...HA I think the C7 will be out by the time then release a prototype. I love the power it makes but look at how long it took to release for the C5 ...with the C6 you have the TTxI TT, APS TT, STS TT, ATI P1/D1, MAGGIE 112/122, and VORTECH SQ just to name a few.. I think KB should really step it up if they want the market.....those wanting power can only wait so long!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Launching!

C6 STS(without headers, no cam) or ESC (with headers, no cam) + meth will give you about 600 rwhp at 7 psi..
STS is working on Carb now, which is a real plus.
I personally know the guys with highest rwhp STS setups, Magnussens and KB's.

Today, I would favor STS or KB on a daily driver.

I went C5 STS TT on my 427 (the first one on a 427. I also own Z06 order #001). My two bro's (C5, first two) went KB on their built 402's. One took off his F1C, the other his Magnussen, to go KB. All three cars have over 150k in them. I will tell you, that we are all fairly well off and will give you a hardcore opinions as to the long term results. If you want to see some video's of one of the above guy's working his mag. car on the track, just go to LPE's site. Their are three or four very large fully edited professional video's there.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

I am leaning towards the STS (mainly due to the simple, yet time consuming install) I just have yet to nail down a specific price. Plus being that I already have headers getting rid of the headers and exahust will just save me a little more $$$$

I know STS has a few different packages and what not for the C6.

Yes this would be a weekly driver
Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maggies dont have heatsoak issues, it was a problem with the early version of the magnuson supplied tunes. (pulling too much timing versus IAT temps). I recently ran all day on the road course with my maggie goat in 90deg weather and my coolant temps never went over 205deg (where I have my second fan coming on) yes, the blower gets warm, but the intercooler keeps the intake temps reasonable.

the other kits might make more maximum HP for dyno queen bragging rights or for faster 1/4times, but the the 100 to 150 extra ft/lbs of torque from 2K all the way to 6Krpm means an insanely fast and fun street car.

since veryone likes different things, try to test drive one if possible.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

this is a pic from the STS site

"Given equivalent vehicles, the turbo would easily motor away from the centrifugal in an acceleration contest......The turbo offered massive midrange torque production, the only system to exceed 600 lb-ft. Need more convincing? At 4,000 rpm, the turbo was more than 100 lb-ft. stronger than either the Roots or centrifugal." Richard Holdener, "Battle of the Boost"
Old 06-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Check this kit out. http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/
Old 06-08-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Ive talked to peter at APS concerning that kit. It has just shipped to the US last week. It is a bit more complicated than I am willing to get into. It involves alot more of the stock parts to be altered. The price is very nice for it though....8900 isnt bad at all.

Look at all the parts you get too!

but look at where all the power comes on POST 4600 RPM...and also at 10psi..
Old 06-08-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by valdeztke
this is a pic from the STS site
LOL @ that pic

500 HP @ 2500 rpms? LOL.
Thats like over 1000 ft lbs of torque

i think that graph is supposed to be a torque curve, not a HP, either way, a bonehead mistake like that does'nt exactly instill confidence.

Last edited by Steel Chicken; 06-08-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Steel Chicken
maggies dont have heatsoak issues, it was a problem with the early version of the magnuson supplied tunes. (pulling too much timing versus IAT temps). I recently ran all day on the road course with my maggie goat in 90deg weather and my coolant temps never went over 205deg (where I have my second fan coming on) yes, the blower gets warm, but the intercooler keeps the intake temps reasonable.

the other kits might make more maximum HP for dyno queen bragging rights or for faster 1/4times, but the the 100 to 150 extra ft/lbs of torque from 2K all the way to 6Krpm means an insanely fast and fun street car.

since veryone likes different things, try to test drive one if possible.
Good info. I have had a Roots system and now turbo. The instant tq of the roots is awesome, but as the speed increases the power tails off. With the turbo there is a little lag, but on the street it helps with traction. Once the turbo spools up it keeps pulling until you let off the gas. If you can find different vehicles to ride in it will help you decide. The systems feel completely different and it comes down to personal preference. You will be happy with any of the above systems.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

When does your car hit 400rwtq?
What RPM?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by valdeztke
When does your car hit 400rwtq?
What RPM?
right @ 2K RPM.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
Good info. I have had a Roots system and now turbo. The instant tq of the roots is awesome, but as the speed increases the power tails off. With the turbo there is a little lag, but on the street it helps with traction. Once the turbo spools up it keeps pulling until you let off the gas. If you can find different vehicles to ride in it will help you decide. The systems feel completely different and it comes down to personal preference. You will be happy with any of the above systems.
agreed. different people like different styles. I dont do alot of drag racing, and the instant OMG torque of the roots makes launching difficult...you need alot of skill to do it right. but for in town terrorizing, not wanting to downshift or wait on something to spool up, you just stomp on it and off the car goes, in any gear.

apples versus oranges.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Hahah almost makes me want to buy one of each....wonder if the Mrs would drive a C6

Well I guess (this may sound stupid) I will probably never track the car. Mostly a show/parade/getting groceries and making lots of noise car. I love the ease of install on the STS (watched one guy do his last week on a C6) I just know, being that I do most city driving, I would spend all my time in the "lag" .
Old 06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Maggie install is pretty easy too, but Ive never done an STS install personally.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Well I am nervous about pinning the crank and installing the cam ( I would do a cam at the same time) .....
Old 06-08-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

They both take about the same amount of time to install on a truck.

Quick Reply: STS or Maggie or ECS on a C6