Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Switched from headers to manifolds with rear mount turbo (results inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think engineermike is partially right, but missing the point. We were talking about the power being lost by heat out of the exhaust pipes before it gets to the turbo. Lowering the amount of heat lost will give more power. Use the power/enthalpy equation Mike quoted to see how much power is being lost. Also, enthalpy is defined as H=U+PV, where U=internal energy (function of temp), P=pressure and V = volume. The enthalpy change of the gas from the inlet of the turbo to its outlet will not be just a function of temperature, but pressure as well. What we were talking about is the loss of internal energy before the turbo which can be prevented in varous ways.

We also know that there will be a limit to the total amount of power that can be made with restrictive stock manifolds, but none of us has gotten that far yet. We do know that there are front mount systems using stock manifolds pushing close to 1000rwhp. We should be able to get there too, a little more slowly...

BTW enginjoe = engineer joe
Old 06-25-2006, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Did you make before and after passes?
Not yet, tried to last wednesday but I got to the track to late and they wouldn't let me run. Don't know how comparable it would be though since when I ran 11.3@123.5 the DA was 4200 vs the 5300 it was on wed. I dunno when I'll run the car again. Last time was really good because the temp was way below normal that night due to rain (was only 85 degrees).
Old 06-25-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I think engineermike is partially right, but missing the point. We were talking about the power being lost by heat out of the exhaust pipes before it gets to the turbo. Lowering the amount of heat lost will give more power.
I agree with everything in that quote except for the part about me missing the point. What I was referring to earlier was that insulating the exhaust "up-pipe" will increase the power the turbine makes at any give flow rate. This allows the wastegate to open, reduce mass flow through the turbine, and decrease exhaust pressure, which results in the engine making more power also.

Originally Posted by enginjoe
. . .enthalpy is defined as H=U+PV, where U=internal energy (function of temp), P=pressure and V = volume.
True that h=u+PV, but PV=RT. Therefore h=u+RT, then we're back to enthalpy as a function of temperature only.

Mike
Old 06-25-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zombie
What you are saying is that temperature delta across the tubine wheel is what deterimes the work done at a given pressure.
What I'm saying is that the temperature delta and mass flow across the turbine determine the power it produces. For any given boost and compressor flow, more turbine delta T means less flow, which results in less exhaust pressure and more engine power. In short, hot exhaust gas = good.

I just thought of a great analogy to help people understand this! Think about the way a Diesel operates. They have no throttle valve, so the mass flow through the exhaust is the same at varying loads (aside from the small mass of fuel injected). However, if you hold a turbo Diesel at 2000 rpm under no load, they build no boost. Hold it at 2000 rpm under load, you get boost. If the mass flow is the same, then what changed? Under heavy load, the engine burns more fuel, thus producing more heat in the exhaust, spinning the turbo to a higher speed, producing boost.

Maybe you can make sense of what was happening before.
. . .84 turbine housing it would make 6 psi of boost reliably and would make it pretty fast. I got annoyed with my inability to make more boost so I swapped out the housing for a .70, my boost would now go to 12.
Was this change in work done due to temperature change or pressure change?
Basically, the smaller exhaust housing caused greater pressure in the exhaust system. The result of this greater pressure is, you guessed it, higher temperature. The greater amount of heat is available to spin the turbine. Let's do a quick calculation.

During the exhaust stroke, the exhaust valve opens before the pressure is expanded to atmospheric. So, some expansion occurs into the exhaust system. A turbine holds pressure in the exhaust system, so the gas doesn't expand all the way to atmospheric 14.7 psi. So, you have a source of (guess) 60 psi hot gas in the cylinder after the exhaust valve opens. Assuming a normally aspirated engine runs an EGT of 1200 deg F at 14.7 psia exhaust pressure, we can calculate what this same gas would be at, say, 50 psi and 60 psi. Yikes, I get 2075 deg F at 50 psi and 2181 deg F at 60 psi AT THE CYLINDER (it cools before it gets to the turbine)!!! You can see where an additional 100 deg F will spool a turbo better. Just for comparison, my front mount creates about 35 psi exhaust pressure, which calculates to about 1891 deg F, but mine retains more of this heat because the turbo is so much closer to the engine.

I hadn't gone through this calc before, so it's sort of eye-opening for me too.

Let me also add that while I was able to attain more boost my rate of climb for the boost stayed about the same (is that related to the heat?). The rate of climb is MUCH higher now.
The turbine makes more power on hot gas, so it has more power to accelerate itself. So, yes, it is related to heat.

If the gas is hotter like it is now and and i'm making more boost, did this cause a rise in back pressure or a drop? Did the velocity of exhaust increase due to the greater temperature/pressure differential?
Hotter gas will result in a drop in backpressure. Forget about velocity.

Mike
Old 06-25-2006, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
Hotter gas will result in a drop in backpressure. Forget about velocity.
Maybe i'm using the wrong term. Does the exhaust gas exit the system better due to the difference in temp being bigger?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great info...Great...
fwiw, when i want to increase boost, i was lucky, I turned the Alan head on my lil wastegates...10lbs to 20lbs, with just a few turns...LOL... Tis was one of the few simple things in life that actually worked for me. And it holds steady and doesnt creep. Me was lucky I guess.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

And now lets apply bernoulli's principle that says that a rise (fall) in pressure in a flowing fluid must always be accompanied by a decrease (increase) in the speed, and conversely, if an increase (decrease) in , the speed of the fluid results in a decrease (increase) in the pressure. This is at the heart of a number of everyday phenomena.
Further, the physical principle formulated by Daniel Bernoulli that states that as the speed of a moving fluid (liquid or gas) increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases. The phenomenon described by Bernoulli's principle has many practical applications; it is employed in the carburetor and the atomizer, in which air is the moving fluid, and in the aspirator, in which water is the moving fluid. In the first two devices air moving through a tube passes through a constriction, which causes an increase in speed and a corresponding reduction in pressure. As a result, liquid is forced up into the air stream (through a narrow tube that leads from the body of the liquid to the constriction) by the greater atmospheric pressure on the surface of the liquid. In the aspirator air is drawn into a stream of water as the water flows through a constriction. Bernoulli's principle can be explained in terms of the law of conservation of energy. In physics, basic laws that together determine which processes can or cannot occur in nature; each law maintains that the total value of the quantity governed by that law, e.g., mass or energy, remains unchanged during physical processes. Conservation laws have the broadest possible application of all laws in physics and are thus considered by many scientists to be the most fundamental laws in nature. As a fluid moves from a wider pipe into a narrower pipe or a constriction, a corresponding volume must move a greater distance forward in the narrower pipe and thus have a greater speed. At the same time, the work done by corresponding volumes in the wider and narrower pipes will be expressed by the product of the pressure and the volume. Since the speed is greater in the narrower pipe, the kinetic energy of that volume is greater. Then, by the law of conservation of energy, this increase in kinetic energy must be balanced by a decrease in the pressure-volume product, or, since the volumes are equal, by a decrease in pressure. So, would a smaller exhaust pipe equal greaer velocity and lower pressure... and does that even matter... would not a higher pressure possibly equate to more heat?

Last edited by Jammer; 06-26-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jammer
So, would a smaller exhaust pipe equal greaer velocity and lower pressure... and does that even matter... would not a higher pressure possibly equate to more heat?
Trying to apply Bernoulli's will only confuse matters. If the velocity of the gas increases, then the pressure will decrease, but the velocity-head will increase. In other words, if you look into the exhaust stream, the pressure hitting your face would be equal to the stagnant pressure of the gas. If you looked at it from the side (i.e. a pressure tap), then the pressure would measure lower. This all doesn't matter, though, because once you get into the turbine, for any given density and flow rate, the velocity will be the same. Exhaust velocity around the valve, in the exhaust port, header tube, or up pipe does not affect velocity in the turbine.

Mike
Old 06-26-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Mike... Im gonna try to absorb that, contenplate that, and someday apply that Good info.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

Ok, so I understood a lot of these concepts here, but I have a specific question. I plan on buying an STS turbo kit this winter for my car but I'm also in the process of installing a set of stainless edelbrock shorty headers to replace my restrictive '98 model year manifolds. Since these are shorties, the total area of the headers can't be much more than the stock manifolds so I can't imagine it losing that much heat, not to mention stainless retains heat better than mild steel. I was thinking the flow increase over those manifolds would help make more power. Any thoughts on this? Also, before anyone flames me for buying these headers... I got them brand new off ebay for $91 so I figured it was worth the expenditure. My goals for the car are mid to high 11's, just to add a bit of info here. I don't plan on getting into the motor other than valvesprings and maybe LQ9 heads if I can get them cheap enough. Are my goals possible? (Sorry for hijacking this thread but it was quite relevant to my plans.)
Old 07-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i havent heard anyone say what size turbo or trims?how much cfm does your turbo push at 13 psi compared to 15 psi?different turbos will spool at different times depending on trim and size.seems the ultimate goal for best hp would be to increase volume(headers) and increase pressure(heat).stock exhaust to increase back pressure seems like a band aid.too much back pressure decreases hp,which is what you have done,but at the same time added more boost and alot more heat(detonation?).no doubt you feel a increase from the added boost,i would be worried about the ill effects on the motor,heat is the biggest cause of detonation.i would think that using headers and free flowing exhaust makes more since and just going down a notch or 2 on the turbo turbine would be a better solution,it will let it boost quicker.although going too small it would run out of boost up top.just depends on the mapping of the turbo.

just my 2 cents,im building a 396 to run 12psi,so i dont think back pressure to spool the turbo will be a issue,ill be using full custom exhaust.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
stock exhaust to increase back pressure seems like a band aid.too much back pressure decreases hp,which is what you have done,but at the same time added more boost and alot more heat(detonation?).. . heat is the biggest cause of detonation.i would think that using headers and free flowing exhaust makes more since and just going down a notch or 2 on the turbo turbine would be a better solution
That's not exactly how it works. You install stock manifolds to hold heat in, not to increase backpressure. Hotter exhaust at the turbine will reduce the pressure needed to spin it. The engine see's this reduction in exhaust pressure and makes more power at the same boost level.

Mike
Old 07-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Teching In

your taking XXX amount of air,heating it up to increase volume.wouldnt it be more efficent to just reduce the amount of air needed to spool the turbo?leaving your exhaust temps lower?

i have no ideal?lol
Old 07-19-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

its not heat that is being added, just kept instead of disapated. The heat is always there, it just doesn t make it to the turbo as energy.

BTW, i did the stock manifold to header experiment. With stock manifolds no boost limit really, 14 psi in first gear etc.....unwrapped (coated titec) edelbrock victor headers, no boost......I mean nada....it would make maybe 6-7 psi in 3rd gear @ 1300 ft. 1st gear....wot...1-2 psi, 2nd.....wot 2-3 psi.....

I thought there was a problem....tested, tested tested, no problems no leaks.

Remove headers and exhuast, panted all white, wrapped with fiberglass tape (1 inch wide headers, 3 inch wide exhuast) all the way to the turbo. (My rearmount system that I make) Painted the outside of the wrap, mostly to make it crusty and hold the shape better. Painted the turbo housing white as well. (bbq paint) First drive.......boost, lots of it......14 psi no problem in first gear.

nothing but paint and wrap, about 65$ total. I have since put on skid plates to protect the wrap since my wife drives it to work everyday and parks in an underground garage with a high point in the driveway. Not bad for a l11 sec car with 2.73's now.....and a stock motor, stock cam etc.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:43 AM
Teching In

I would trust engineer Mike on this one, you can't argue with math. It makes sense - just find a way to minimize heat loss between the turbo and the engine, if you do so your turbo will be way more efficient. Looks like a little paint and wrap is the cheapest way to do this.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

What material would make an ideal insulator? Ceramic coating or fiberglass wrap, or both? Is there any advantage to wrapping or coating the turbine housing for HP gains?
Old 07-23-2006, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heya Zombie, I'm with you, sold my LT's and am going back with stock 01 manifolds, and exhaust wrap. Hope to have the same results as you!!!

Quick Reply: Switched from headers to manifolds with rear mount turbo (results inside)