Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sts - Wrapped Exhaust -- Inside!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1936FordPU
This is the whole reason people stuck to the front mount stuff. Been preaching heat and velocity for a LONG time now. Sure they work. Just not very well.
while you are waiting to build your front mount im driving my rear mount and i wouldnt do it any other way, leave this thread if you dont have any good input. front mounts work for some people, but i prefer to keep my a/c, eng bay temps down, and daily driver manners. dont knock rear mounts until you have either driven or taken a ride, IT MIGHT SUPRISE YOU!!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by longrange4u
I dont disagree with the basics of physics... but I will disagree with your statement about rearmounts not working very well. Difference of opinion lets say...

Anyways... you do your build... I will do mine... we meet at the track, I will show what a rearmount looks like. Allllllllll the way down the track...
First you gotta get in the low 10's..LMAO That was with my nitrous'd stock longblock 346. The new setup will run even better.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smoke20
while you are waiting to build your front mount im driving my rear mount and i wouldnt do it any other way, leave this thread if you dont have any good input. front mounts work for some people, but i prefer to keep my a/c, eng bay temps down, and daily driver manners. dont knock rear mounts until you have either driven or taken a ride, IT MIGHT SUPRISE YOU!!!!
Ive riden, and watched them go done the track. I prefer to be at the finish line while the rear mount car is still trying to build boost at 200 ft off the starting line. Everyone has their opinion (in this case facts because im no idiot and seen it with my own two eyes) and that one is mine.

Back on topic now. Sure wrapping the exhaust helped you. Thats also what Ceramic Coating is for as well. Keep heat inside the pipes!

Last edited by 1936FordPU; 07-17-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive riden, and watched them go done the track. I prefer to be at the finish line while the rear mount car is still trying to build boost at 200 ft off the starting line. Everyone has their opinion (in this case facts because im no idiot and seen it with my own two eyes) and that one is mine.

Back on topic now. Sure wrapping the exhaust helped you. Thats also what Ceramic Coating is for as well. Keep heat inside the pipes!
my car boosts off the line so apparently you know very little about rear mount turbos. and like i said before im driving my car WHERE IS YOUR POS!!!!!
my headers and y-pipe are coated and i wrapped them also. yes heat is the reason thats what this thread is all about so quit trying to nose in on this thread. take your pathetic little toy home !!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Puts foot on brake... looks at boost gage... looks at tach, 3200 rpms, looks back at boost gage, 1psi, looks back at tach, 3500 rpms, looks back at boost gage 5psi.

Looks at trans brake button and cowers in fear.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

JEALOSY -- a form of fearing what you dont understand
Old 07-17-2006, 04:20 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
Wheres the silicone spray from?
summit, it is made by DEI. comes in black or aluminum. When i sprayed it over the wrapping i expected something different but it was basically just like black spray paint but we will see how it holds up.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:17 PM
NKAWTG...N

1936FordPU - The argument of front mount vs. rear mount has been made about thirty gabillion times, if your comments are not about exhaust/header wrapping please leave the thread.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie
Puts foot on brake... looks at boost gage... looks at tach, 3200 rpms, looks back at boost gage, 1psi, looks back at tach, 3500 rpms, looks back at boost gage 5psi.

Looks at trans brake button and cowers in fear.
Loving it Zombie...

Yea I am going deep in my efforts to keep Physics on my side... and haters behind me. I will be ceramic coating my pipes from Manifold back to turbo.. then 1/2" ceramic batting with 1/16" alum backing.... then wrap all that with 2" header wrap... finally painted with 2000deg paint to help it seal. I am thinking I will see much less heat loss then most.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Glad to hear this is being done. And the ceramic batting + wrap that was shown to us a few months ago got my attention...but then THIS came along and caught my attention:

So, I've sold my STS without trying the heat wrap. I decided that this kit, which produces 6psi by 1800 rpm and INSTANT response was more my style. Hopefully the heat wrap will pay off for the rear-mounts.

BTW, I am LESS than impressed w/ the ceramic coating on the STS pipes. WIth my car being driven less than a year in the south, rarely in rain, there is already some surface rust on the pipe that the turbo attaches to. On the HRPT, I saw Brent's car [that was the blue, 10.6 sec STS] and that pipe was about to fall apart. I would suggest a good prep and paint PRIOR to heat wrapping...
Old 07-17-2006, 08:10 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Loving it Zombie...

Yea I am going deep in my efforts to keep Physics on my side... and haters behind me. I will be ceramic coating my pipes from Manifold back to turbo.. then 1/2" ceramic batting with 1/16" alum backing.... then wrap all that with 2" header wrap... finally painted with 2000deg paint to help it seal. I am thinking I will see much less heat loss then most.
Dad always told me to wrap my pipe! Longrange4u, your gonna have to show the haters that the STS setup can get the job done, but who cares what people think, every time i mash the gas I'm happy!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:13 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

MTBDOC, sweet pic there! Where can we buy those Turbo blankets at?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Im NOT one of the rearmount haters i just wanted something clarified....it sounds like so much work/effort/research to find out what would help rearmount setups keep the heat in the pipe and spool issues and all of this,why would you choose to do all of this as opposed to a traditional front mount setup?I know its something different but it seems like a PITA trying to find which turbo will work with what CI to spool and coating and wrapping and all of that...whats the big draw to a rearmount setup?Ive got my front mount setup running halfway decent now and it seems very simplistic and gets the job done so i was just curious why all the effort to get a rearmount setup to be as equal/more efficient that a front mount.No flaming or hating just curious by nature.Nick
Old 07-17-2006, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Im NOT one of the rearmount haters i just wanted something clarified....it sounds like so much work/effort/research to find out what would help rearmount setups keep the heat in the pipe and spool issues and all of this,why would you choose to do all of this as opposed to a traditional front mount setup?I know its something different but it seems like a PITA trying to find which turbo will work with what CI to spool and coating and wrapping and all of that...whats the big draw to a rearmount setup?Ive got my front mount setup running halfway decent now and it seems very simplistic and gets the job done so i was just curious why all the effort to get a rearmount setup to be as equal/more efficient that a front mount.No flaming or hating just curious by nature.Nick
Hmmmm.... many answers you seek (In best Yoda voice).

No BS?? I bought the STS at first because I was cheaper... and I didnt know **** about FI. I am more learnded now... and I want to make my setup excel. At first I got into it cause I loved the sound of turbos but hated rice. Now I am in it to shut up the haters... and those not willing to except that the basic principles of FI and physics that are preached to me over and over can be researched and applied to a rearmount setup as well.

I have talked to the folks at STS hopping that we could make a joint venture of this exploration for performance. They are more concerned in selling mass... not in actual performance development. I think when I am all said and done... I wont have anything left that is STS other than the oiling system. I may end up doing a custom charge pipe setup... in which case I will explore with TRTPerformance or FFHP to see if they want to jig and mass produce a High HP rearmount setup (700+ RWHP kit). I dont really care if STS ever makes another dime... in fact I would like to see them get some competition.

As for the "why the work" well.... In the end, I love the idea that I can drive two hours to San Antonio with the Radio blaring.. and the A/C on high... get to the track.. let it cool for 45-50 mins, swap tires... then make a low 10 second (hopefully a high 9 sec) pass. This is truly a street setup... for a car that can be driven daily. I am not saying that it is the only way... or the best... but I believe that it will be a damn good way. And in the end... cheaper and more realistic for folks that dont want to gut their car for speed.

Sorry... I didnt mean to ramble.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Teching In

I used to work at a muffler shop for 5 years and in my personal experience with thermal tape it always caused the headers to have a shortened life due to thermal fatigue, mind you the faliures I saw were all with just mild steel headers. The tape does work very well almost too well to the point that you could literally crush a primary tube with very little effort and once unrapped the header would crumble in your hands. So if you are running this product with just mild steel ( custom built headers, down pipes etc.) you might want to consider coating it first or going stainless. This is just my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:43 AM
TECH Junkie

As for the "why the work" well.... In the end, I love the idea that I can drive two hours to San Antonio with the Radio blaring.. and the A/C on high... get to the track.. let it cool for 45-50 mins, swap tires... then make a low 10 second (hopefully a high 9 sec) pass. This is truly a street setup... for a car that can be driven daily. I am not saying that it is the only way... or the best... but I believe that it will be a damn good way. And in the end... cheaper and more realistic for folks that dont want to gut their car for speed.

You know I'm always on your side, but he asked you "why all the work for a rear-mount." Some front-mounts can do everything you just described. Cheaper? Meh, once you start getting into forged shortblocks, the differences REALLY slim and flatten out... All the little things to do in either set-up.

You will probably have the first fastest rear-mount F-body, but if you keep taking too long, I don't know... Some other STS dude might take it first and keep it.

J/K but don't take TOO long.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:17 AM
TECH Junkie

a couple of worm clamps and that headder wrap will never come off not to mention it kinda molds together after a few heat cycles.. also for a more appealing look mabye send your **** off for a jet hot coating.. also im nto big into fi setups but wouldent a smaller diameter pipe increase veloscity and keep the air hotter ? (no flames please if that last one is wrong)
Old 07-18-2006, 07:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bboyferal
You know I'm always on your side, but he asked you "why all the work for a rear-mount." Some front-mounts can do everything you just described. Cheaper? Meh, once you start getting into forged shortblocks, the differences REALLY slim and flatten out... All the little things to do in either set-up.

You will probably have the first fastest rear-mount F-body, but if you keep taking too long, I don't know... Some other STS dude might take it first and keep it.

J/K but don't take TOO long.
True and True.... the ultimate answer is that I was already on the path when I fell in love with FI. Now it is just personal! LOL

And you should know.... nothing FI is ever fast to put together!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

Hmmmm.... many answers you seek (In best Yoda voice).

No BS?? I bought the STS at first because I was cheaper... and I didnt know **** about FI. I am more learnded now... and I want to make my setup excel. At first I got into it cause I loved the sound of turbos but hated rice. Now I am in it to shut up the haters... and those not willing to except that the basic principles of FI and physics that are preached to me over and over can be researched and applied to a rearmount setup as well.

I have talked to the folks at STS hopping that we could make a joint venture of this exploration for performance. They are more concerned in selling mass... not in actual performance development. I think when I am all said and done... I wont have anything left that is STS other than the oiling system. I may end up doing a custom charge pipe setup... in which case I will explore with TRTPerformance or FFHP to see if they want to jig and mass produce a High HP rearmount setup (700+ RWHP kit). I dont really care if STS ever makes another dime... in fact I would like to see them get some competition.

I want you to document your exploration with receipts. This should be fun.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:38 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

1936FordPU, please stay out of this thread or we can make it happen ourselves. Your comments aren't wanted here.

Quick Reply: Sts - Wrapped Exhaust -- Inside!!!!!