Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sts - Wrapped Exhaust -- Inside!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
I just ordered a 24" x 25' roll of the aluminum faced ceramic insulation so i'll have a lot left when I'm done if someone wants to split the roll with me. I should have it by next monday.

There is probably enough material in 1 25 foot roll to do 3+ cars.

I'll let you guys know my results after I get it installed.

I think you should just ship it to OKC for me when your done.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slick1851
Ti piping?
Ti = Titanium
Old 07-21-2006, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

And Ti is waaaay to expensive. Trust me. I've got 3 titanium bicycles downstairs. Even seamed CP Ti is pricey...not even getting into alloys.

There is no question that this is going to be a big deal for rear mounts. Just the airstream under the car is taking a LOT of heat from the system. So, the initial wrap will give the most bang-for-the-buck [as with everything else!]. A turbo blanket would be just the ticket as well.

The pics I posted are for the GenTT system out of Australia. Very nice work using the stock manifolds...and $4950 shipped to the US! That is a steal, my friends. I am going to probably get the pipes coated going from the manifolds to the turbos, and then a bit of header wrap on the downpipes.

Remember: if you could TOTALLY eliminate [which you can't] all heat loss from the exhaust/turbo, then the only difference between a front and rear-mount would be the miniscule frictional loss of the gas inside the pipe...which DOES increase the backpressure, though.

Even though I am out of the rear-mount family at this point, I am VERY interested in the results that all of you see. And PLEASE try to get some real numbers rather than just the butt-dyno. This would be a good use for G-tech or something similar.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

Gonna see what I can do to help that.... it is hard to do before and after #'s unless you already have your setup complete. Billy and I are going to install my FFHP 408 and the 76MPS turbo... but it would be easiest to just wrap and coat everything while we are doing this, so before and after are difficult.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Gonna see what I can do to help that.... it is hard to do before and after #'s unless you already have your setup complete. Billy and I are going to install my FFHP 408 and the 76MPS turbo... but it would be easiest to just wrap and coat everything while we are doing this, so before and after are difficult.
Yeah, for you it would be silly. But, there are others who aren't changing their setups anytime soon...just considering the wrap.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:48 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
I experience this while I drive. The harder I drive it, the faster is gets. It's definatley noticable on the old butt dyno. I've seen this effect at the track too with rear mounts.
The wrap would eliminate the need to drive the hell out it to get some decent times/numbers IMO. I think every turbo guy (front or rear mount) here knows that when their car is cold and they accelerate for the first time in the morning it doesn't feel as strong as when all the tubing is warmed up.
Im glad im not only one who wandered why from a start after sitting or cooling down why the truck didnt spool and perform the way it does after a quick drive down the road. NOW, If we Wrap our exhaust's and possibly a turbo blanket are we going to need a turbo timer?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let me know Zombie, if it works well and I have a few spare bucks I will take some off your hands.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by longrange4u
I dont disagree with the basics of physics... but I will disagree with your statement about rearmounts not working very well. Difference of opinion lets say...

Anyways... you do your build... I will do mine... we meet at the track, I will show what a rearmount looks like. Allllllllll the way down the track...

Hey there.... Don't be beating up on the front mounts now!!

Both systems have there purpose.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
Hey there.... Don't be beating up on the front mounts now!!

Both systems have there purpose.
Haha

I agree 100% Nitro... infact I would be foolish to not give props to the as recorded superior times of a front mount vs a rear mount. Infact I will give them props all day long (In my car with my AC blowing of course! )!!

Nahh its all in fun... Front mounts are the big boys in school... us rearmounts are the geeks in class that everyone thinks they can woop.... till they try.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MTBDOC
Glad to hear this is being done. And the ceramic batting + wrap that was shown to us a few months ago got my attention...but then THIS came along and caught my attention:

So, I've sold my STS without trying the heat wrap. I decided that this kit, which produces 6psi by 1800 rpm and INSTANT response was more my style. Hopefully the heat wrap will pay off for the rear-mounts.

BTW, I am LESS than impressed w/ the ceramic coating on the STS pipes. WIth my car being driven less than a year in the south, rarely in rain, there is already some surface rust on the pipe that the turbo attaches to. On the HRPT, I saw Brent's car [that was the blue, 10.6 sec STS] and that pipe was about to fall apart. I would suggest a good prep and paint PRIOR to heat wrapping...
Who's kit is this or is it custom?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Superado
As w/ anything...there is overkill I'm sure...but it is a matter of physics I believe that there is a direct correlation between the amount of heat produced and retained to the amount of pressure built...am I not correct? I believe that I remember this from some training on steam operated tire curing presses several years ago...
I did quite a bit of research on this subject a while back. What I found was:
The exhaust contains 2 types of energy. The volume of gases, and heat. A turbo uses both types of energy to create boost. What happens when the turbo has both types of energy to use is that it becomes more efficient. Thus the front mounts will always be more efficient. The length of the exhaust pipe on a rear mount dissipates heat, which is why wrapping the pipes will make the rear mount more efficient (though never as efficient as a front mount).
As an STS owner, I was glad to see this thread and the fact that so many were gaining efficiency by wrapping/coating their pipes. Since my car seldom sees rain, I suspect that the pipes will last for a while.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:03 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Public
Who's kit is this or is it custom?
Doughboy AutoPerformance of Australia...

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51
Old 07-23-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Junkie

And everyone needs to remember that there are tradeoffs with both systems:
1) Front mount - more underhood heat, less room underhood, more efficiency.
2) Rear mount - Less underhood heat, more room underhood. less efficiency.
Take your pick. I made my choice, and have few regrets. Except those nerds at the track crawling under my car to see.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Teching In

If you want to keep cats, I am assuming that you cannot wrap them. Is that correct? If so, can you just wrap the pipes from just behind the cats to the turbo?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:32 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ProtoVette
If you want to keep cats, I am assuming that you cannot wrap them. Is that correct? If so, can you just wrap the pipes from just behind the cats to the turbo?
I really would advise not running cats with an STS kit. I have seen what happens to a turbo behind the cats when a cat self destructs, and chucks downstream some of it's internals, and it will ruin a turbo real quickly. Bob
Old 07-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Launching!

NOOB checking in. I'm buying MTBDoc's STS and look forward to seeing some of your results if possible. Before and after runs would be great to see/hear. I plan on wrapping mine because it sounds like great advise and makes sense. I'm also going to gut my cats. Will gutting my cats make things louder in the cabin? Just wondering thanks.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ironmancan
Will gutting my cats make things louder in the cabin? Just wondering thanks.
Yes
Old 07-31-2006, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I really would advise not running cats with an STS kit. I have seen what happens to a turbo behind the cats when a cat self destructs, and chucks downstream some of it's internals, and it will ruin a turbo real quickly. Bob
If I were to gut the stock cats, would there be any (negative) side effects? I know flow would be improved, which would be positive. But what about the following areas of concer:

1. It will be louder, but how much louder? Is there a comparison that could be made? I love the way my car sounds now, but I definetely would not want it too much louder then it is now.

2. Will the custom tune in my computer be affected. And if yes, how so? Would I require a new tune? Would I be throwing codes, or running poorly by gutting the cats?

3. Will having gutted cats affect emisions inspections in any way? I live in PA.

4. Will there be any unusual smells from removing the cats. My car is a street car, not a race car. I want to be able to enjoy it on the road.

5. If I gutted them, would I then be able to wrap the entire exhaust?

6. If I do not gut them, can I just wrap the exhaust from right behind the cats to the the turbos. I would have to imagine that just that alone would keep alot of heat in the system. There is alot of exposed pipe under the car running from the cats to the turbos.

7. Lastly, what's involved with gutting a stock cat?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-31-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

My turbo is like an inch from the radiator, and the car keeps warming up to about 245-250 (im running evans coolant and water pump).

I dont have anything coated, being the turbo and downpipe (i believe SS was used for the downpipe.)

What would be best for my car :

1. Wrapping the downpipe with header wrapping (if so, what kind should I use?)

2. Getting a turbo blanket (if they make one that fits a GT55)

3. Coating the turbo/down pipe.

4. all of the above (obviously this is the best, but I dont know if just wrapping them will work enough, no sense on spending money to coat it if we can avoid it).

Can you coat and run header wrapping without causing any damage to the piping?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

I would say 1 and 2 at a minimum.... I think it would make a world of difference.

Quick Reply: Sts - Wrapped Exhaust -- Inside!!!!!