Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS...worth $5k??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS...worth $5k??

Hi, guys. I need yall's advise. I have always wanted a power adder. I finally have the opertunity. I talked to STS and they can get me financed for a turbo setup for my LS1. AWSOME!!!! Except, lately, it seems all I am hearing about them has been negative. I am a member of a local board in Utah(where STS is based out of) and NO ONE has any track times with these kits. Everyone is claiming it to be a dyno-queen setup. I really hope not because I finally have my opertunity to make big power, but Im not going to spend 6000 on a kit if I cant get good track times. Since day one I have been following STS and thought it to be a brilliant idea. Anyone care to help my case?
Thanks
Old 07-21-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

First, is an STS kit worth the $5K they charge? I'd say absolutely!
Second, I'd probably recommend the upgraded turbo, gate spring, and FMIC though and that will add to the price. If you don't get the upgrades now, you're going to wish you did and eventually get them anyway probably.
Third, there are plenty of track times on their web site.
Fourth, if track times are your primary concern, this kit will work much better with an auto, rather than your M6 IMHO. It will be difficult although not impossible, to get good track times with the M6. IMHO FWIW.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
Hi, guys. I need yall's advise. I have always wanted a power adder. I finally have the opertunity. I talked to STS and they can get me financed for a turbo setup for my LS1. AWSOME!!!! Except, lately, it seems all I am hearing about them has been negative. I am a member of a local board in Utah(where STS is based out of) and NO ONE has any track times with these kits. Everyone is claiming it to be a dyno-queen setup. I really hope not because I finally have my opertunity to make big power, but Im not going to spend 6000 on a kit if I cant get good track times. Since day one I have been following STS and thought it to be a brilliant idea. Anyone care to help my case?
Thanks
Why not just spend about $2000 on the parts and build a kit youself? The base kit without an intercooler has less than this amount in it. Save the rest for tuning, fuel, intercooler, etc.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

check out TRT, they are a sponsor here. They can get you in an sts set up with many more options for 5k! Check out their stage 2 which is 5k!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-21-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3800SII
Why not just spend about $2000 on the parts and build a kit youself? The base kit without an intercooler has less than this amount in it. Save the rest for tuning, fuel, intercooler, etc.
maybe if you own all the welders, cutting tools etc and buy some ebay turbo and wastegate package. Also dont forget the scavange pump!
Old 07-21-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry posted twice.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks
I have an 02 Z28 that I ran at the track with drag radials intake and cat back, the car did a 8.2 with a 1.9 60ft at 88mph. After I got my STS kit w/8.7lbs of boost, I ran it at a diffrent track and made only one pass doing a
8.0 w/2.1 60ft and trapping 93mph. If I would of hooked up better I could of easily pulled off a 7.6. A friend of mine watching told me that my tires spun through boost in first gear, so from what I can tell my times had improved quit a bit.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
maybe if you own all the welders, cutting tools etc and buy some ebay turbo and wastegate package. Also dont forget the scavange pump!
Either that or have a muffler shop make the hot and cold parts you need. You can get all the piping dirt cheap. I am sure that there are sveral people
here with custom kits that spent less than that. The pump is only about $200
by itself.

Still $4000 is good to invest with all the support you get from STS.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

yea but if making a kit is 1/2 the price
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

The STS is a nice setup, but some considerations. the pipes hang pretty low, which makes it impossible on my vert. I know you and I talked about lowering it and i don't know how well that would work. another is reported leaks, the turbo is sitting in the back pretty easy to steal. If your car is garaged and in public places all the time no big deal but something to think about, especially with all the turbo craving theiving ricers out there!

I think the STS is a nice setup and has proven itself a nice Power adder. Just don't think it was for me.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Hey bud. Good to hear from you! I would really like to run the system. Ive just heard ALOT more bad than good. Does anyone know anybody that OWNES this system and has ran it for at least a year, that can account for the longivity and power gains. Sure STS has IT's dyno numbers, but I dont consider that a very viable source. I need individual's experiances that arnt trying to sell a product.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

I am not sure if you were trying to be funny, but you can price list everything
individually including piping, hoses, clamps, labor, a Garrett turbo, wastegate, and blowoff valve and still come to less than this amount. By the way the oil
pump only cost about $200.

The 4 to 5 grand is great when you factor in the fact that it is ready to go, and you get excellent technical support. I am sure you can find a couple of guys that spent this or less on custom remote kits including myself...
Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey bud. Good to hear from you! I would really like to run the system. Ive just heard ALOT more bad than good. Does anyone know anybody that OWNES this system and has ran it for at least a year, that can account for the longivity and power gains. Sure STS has IT's dyno numbers, but I dont consider that a very viable source. I need individual's experiances that arnt trying to sell a product.
What funny is I've heard alot more good than bad. If you look at posts from guys that have the kit, they always have good responses, its the guys that don't have it that talk the ****.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Masterpower T70 - $575 shipped from a vendor
Tial 38mm gate - $210 shipped fom a vendor
Tial 50mm BOV - $210 shipped from a vendor
Vband flange/clamp for turbine exit - $30
hotpipes pipes - $50
cold piping with silicone connectors and worm clamps - $100 off ebay (lets say two of those kits do to length = 200).
Miscellaneous flanges, gaskets - $50
Oil lines - $80
Oil pump - $200

Total is $1605 and even if their are a few more small hings, you can easily make the $2k mark and have a base sytem (non intercooled), but have an upgraded turbo. Remeber, rearmounts consist of almost no hotparts (replaces muffle and you need a small DP - exhaust tip piece and wastegate flange.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:07 PM
9 Second Club

Sorry guys...... I am no longer an STS advocate as I believe they are all about making money and not about our sport or true performance, so I dislike the company. But that aside... you could not make this kit for half price. If you are really interested in it and have questions... call Billy at TRT. He will talk you through anything... and he has great package prices too.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Masterpower T70 - $575 shipped from a vendor
Tial 38mm gate - $210 shipped fom a vendor
Tial 50mm BOV - $210 shipped from a vendor
Vband flange/clamp for turbine exit - $30
hotpipes pipes - $50
cold piping with silicone connectors and worm clamps - $100 off ebay (lets say two of those kits do to length = 200).
Miscellaneous flanges, gaskets - $50
Oil lines - $80
Oil pump - $200

Total is $1605 and even if their are a few more small hings, you can easily make the $2k mark and have a base sytem (non intercooled), but have an upgraded turbo. Remeber, rearmounts consist of almost no hotparts (replaces muffle and you need a small DP - exhaust tip piece and wastegate flange.
Thanks, that is exactly what I was trying to get at Seems like yours was even less than mine...
Old 07-21-2006, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys, but I am not AT ALL interested in custom fabbing a kit. I have learned over the years that simplicity is a virtue. If it costs me more money, yet less headach...Im in. If I leave a lil power on the table going with a rear mount vs. fm...Im ok with that. I am not going for 9's. I just want good solid dyno numbers and 11's or so. Sure, there are "better" systems(in terms of RWHP) but the more research I do on the system, the more I realize that the definition of "better" is different for me. I just want more power, reliablility, and a simple(yet upgradable) package.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I am not going for 9's. I just want good solid dyno numbers and 11's or so.
That's what they all say at first...

Okay, sure, just buy it then...
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by longrange4u
But that aside... you could not make this kit for half price. If you are really interested in it and have questions... call Billy at TRT. He will talk you through anything... and he has great package prices too.
Perhaps you missed my post? What I wrote isnt imaginary, thats pricing as of todays market. Now, if you want to factor in tools like sawzall and welder (some of us have that stuf aready) then te price will go up. I know you are fans of TRT and they are helpin you with your build, but it looks like your drumming up business for them by stating that it cant be replicated for half the price. I just proved otherwise with an upgraded turbo no less and a Tial 50mm BOV. BTW, I am not building rearmount stuff, but i bet I could put a kit together in a weekend thats how easy they are compared to fabbing front mounts.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=bboyferal] That's what they all say at first...

Tis the nature of the beast.

Quick Reply: STS...worth $5k??