Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Temps of water cooled turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Temps of water cooled turbos?

I was curious how the temps of the gt35r (for example) compare to the temps of a similar plain bearing non water cooled turbo are. Does anyone know for a fact what the 2 turbos opperating temps are? my non watercooled turbo gets 700-800, when you have 2 of those in an engine bay, trouble occurs haha.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They operate at the same temps. The turbine side is what gets hot, not the CHRA. Also I know Jose and Jason now have some water cooled turbine housings........they are cool!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

i know the turbine housing is what gets hot.

what i meant by opperating tems is the heat of the hottest part of the turbo, i thought this was understood. im not trying to cool the charge.

I also dont really know what part is water cooled. isnt it the exhaust side of the turbo that is water cooled? or is it the CHRA?

I find it hard to beleive these turbos run at 800 degrees, if so i dont see the advantage to watercooling.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_Zach
i know the turbine housing is what gets hot.

what i meant by opperating tems is the heat of the hottest part of the turbo, i thought this was understood. im not trying to cool the charge.

I also dont really know what part is water cooled. isnt it the exhaust side of the turbo that is water cooled? or is it the CHRA?

I find it hard to beleive these turbos run at 800 degrees, if so i dont see the advantage to watercooling.
IIRC the water feed and return go into the CHRA so you have oil in and out top and bottom and water in side to side
Old 07-26-2006, 11:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Water flows around the central bearing core, which assists in keeping oil temps down which flow through the bearings.

The water also helps "cool" these bearings on shutdown, where heat soak could fry any oil in the bearings causing a build up of crap.

I use cool loosely, as its still bloody hot !!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

my car runs about 10-15 degrees hotter than i think it should driving around with the gt30-76 turbos....they are watercooled
Old 08-09-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cable would that be because you plumbed the turbo water feeds back into the engine cooling system?

How do you have the water lines routed? Where did you take the coolant out and where did you put it back in? That probably has something to do with it.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:03 PM
9 Second Club

lo_jack.....

They are supposed to be plumbed into the cars cooling system.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
lo_jack.....

They are supposed to be plumbed into the cars cooling system.

hahah yeah, engine coolant is a BIT cooler than 700-800 degrees F even at this hottest....just a little though
Old 08-09-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I am with you there - but cooling turbos that get very hot and then dumping that coolant back into the oem system would seem pretty logical to run hotter than normal.

Could you not make a seperate cooling system for the turbos that had its own pump and exchanger? Probably overkill, but whatever.

Where would the optimum offtake and reintroduction of turbo coolant be then?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:32 PM
9 Second Club

Every factory turbo car Ive seen, re-introduce the hot water to the header tank ( expansion tank ) reservoir, from where it can then re-enter the cooling system.

I have seen some small aftermarket radiators placed between the turbocharger and header tank, to reduce water temps re-entering the header tank.
They were more to reduce water temps as they were using a plastic header tank, and the extra heat sometimes caused cracking etc.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Every factory turbo car Ive seen, re-introduce the hot water to the header tank ( expansion tank ) reservoir, from where it can then re-enter the cooling system.

I have seen some small aftermarket radiators placed between the turbocharger and header tank, to reduce water temps re-entering the header tank.
They were more to reduce water temps as they were using a plastic header tank, and the extra heat sometimes caused cracking etc.

That sounds pretty reasonable. Where do you tap coolant from then? Tap the water pump?

I shouldn't think this would raise operating temps too much.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stevieturbo, i think there was a rad for the cossy trubo that cooled the water before it entered the trubo!?!?! not sure but fast ford said it made some diffrence! either way water cooled turbos are the way, its what OEM stuff is.

lo_jack, you have to think that the heat would just go into the oil and heat that up! so better sticking it into the water!

thanks Chris
Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by chuntington101
stevieturbo, i think there was a rad for the cossy trubo that cooled the water before it entered the trubo!?!?! s
Its after the turbo.

The plastic header on the Cossie used to go fragile and crack, right where the water re-entered it, after exitting the turbo.

A mate has one on his Cossie sitting at my garage now.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
FormerVendor

Fwiw I switched from standard bearing GT61's with no water cooling to dual ball bearing GT61's with water cooling and my coolant temps are exactly the same.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Addict

It seems like the surface area the water is exposed to when cooling turbo bearings is a small fraction of area covered when cooling the engine block. Do you think any significant increases in coolant temperature could be related to a higher under-the-hood temperature?

Quick Reply: Temps of water cooled turbos?