Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

? about cool down and RACE car with Turbos.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about cool down and RACE car with Turbos.

Ok the Bird is almost done and seen how I am always thinking too much what about the cool down after a run. To get a solid plug reading you should turn the car off just after the finish line. But that is when the turbo will be the hottest.
And seeing how this thing aint cheap what are some suggestions on this.

Being a dry sump thought about an electric oil pump but not sure of its worth in this case.

Ricky
Old 07-31-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Why are you reading the plugs? Is this a dual power adder setup? Are you running nitrous too? From what I understand, reading plugs is an old school way to check your A/F ratio. If that's what you're doing, then I suggest a wideband. If that's not, then I'd look into water cooled turbo bearing or something. I've heard ball bearing units are more tollerant to quick shutdowns.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Why are you reading the plugs? Is this a dual power adder setup? Are you running nitrous too? From what I understand, reading plugs is an old school way to check your A/F ratio. If that's what you're doing, then I suggest a wideband. If that's not, then I'd look into water cooled turbo bearing or something. I've heard ball bearing units are more tollerant to quick shutdowns.
right now I can not afford 8 o2 sensors and the only way to know what each cylinder is doing is to check the plugs. I am a little old school but the plugs never lie. I have a dual channel for the car but I still need to make sure the tune up is right. I already have the turbo and its just reg. oil feed.
Ricky
Old 07-31-2006, 08:34 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

8 EGT Wires if you can and 2 O2's. We've never pulled the plugs at the top end of the track. Always going off O2 readings and the rest of the logger data. Most of the turbo cars don't even bother to read the plugs like a nitrous car does. So much heat in them will probably wipe out the timing mark before you get the car slowed down. We just stick good plugs in and check them from time to time. Otherwise, it's all off the data logs.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:58 PM

So yall leave the car running to keep the oil flowing to the turbo. Correct
Ricky
Old 07-31-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
So yall leave the car running to keep the oil flowing to the turbo. Correct
Ricky
Yes a hard shutdown on a turbo is bad if you can avoid it, I have done that to my car but it was in a extreme case, we lost a coolant line mid pass and I couldn't see out the front window, so I let off and was coasting and just shut the motor off.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 AM
8 Second Club

Yeh I just drive mine back to the pits and by then the turbos have come down in rpm enough to just shut her off when I find my spot...

Hell, we don't even take off the hood...just get the laptop and download the run and have some drinks.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 AM

some drinks...
so it not just the heat the turbo spinning needs to come down as well, **** that makes since. OLD school just needs to learn new tricks..lol

Ricky
Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default electric water pump?

An electric water pump (and water cooled turbos) sounds like a nice addition... (i.e. run it and the fans while sitting on the batt charger).
Old 08-01-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

If you already run a dry sump, an add-on electric pump that you can switch on at engine shutdown would be just the ticket. I don't think I would trust an electric pump in place of the mechanical one though. I've often thought about what the plugs would look like if I shut down immediately after a run.

Quick Reply: ? about cool down and RACE car with Turbos.