Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cant stop the smoking

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant stop the smoking

Well, I tried several things today in an effort to stop my TTi kit from smoking. I put a .080" restrictor in the feed line, no difference that I could tell. Pulled the PCV hoses off the valve cover and valley cover to make sure there was no crankcase pressure, no change in smoking. Also pulled my return hose off the oil pan and had my buddy start the car. Got about a quart out the return hose, but the thing still smoked. It seemed to smoke a bit less with this procedure, but still way more than it should.

If anybody else has any suggestions I am all ears. If it is the turbo, then I am likely done and putting the thing up for sale.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it did push some oil through the turbo into the DP due to too much oil volume, then it will take some time for the oil to burn out of the exhaust(DP back)

When mine did this, it smoked a lot. I had to clean out the DP all the way to after the cat with some carb cleaner to clean most of the oil out of the pipes.

IF the turbo does need a rebuild i'm sure it wont be too bad on the wallet to have it done. You've come this far, don't give up Its all part of this fun FI game

J
Old 08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
NKAWTG...N

Yea with the amount of crap you have gone through...you just HAVE to finish it.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Cant stop the smoking

Jk man. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the "don't give up" motion, trust me it'll be worth it!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I still hate the idea of a restrictor, especially since you other TTi guys dont use one.

Do you think I should try a scavenge pump, or just take it off and send it to Jose?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

you could try a .065 restrictor but i wouldnt go lower than that

my turbo is too low, so i apply a vacuum to the crankcase to help pull the oil out of the turbo and it has worked flawlessly

remove and replace the pcv system with a set of vent hoses to the pipe btwn the air filter and turbo, then run another line between the intake somewhere behind the throttlebody, and the crankcase. you will need an oil separator here to keep it from sucking oil into the intake, i got a small air compressor separator from home depot.. i have posted photos on here somewhere in another thread.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
you could try a .065 restrictor but i wouldnt go lower than that

my turbo is too low, so i apply a vacuum to the crankcase to help pull the oil out of the turbo and it has worked flawlessly

remove and replace the pcv system with a set of vent hoses to the pipe btwn the air filter and turbo, then run another line between the intake somewhere behind the throttlebody, and the crankcase. you will need an oil separator here to keep it from sucking oil into the intake, i got a small air compressor separator from home depot.. i have posted photos on here somewhere in another thread.
Your method involves drilling another hole in the oil pan, correct? Also, wouldnt you need a check valve in the line that goes from intake to crankcase? If searched worked I would find your thread. I think I remember seeing it a while ago.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

no extra hole in the pan and yes on the check valve
one hose
intake -check valve -oil separator -valve cover
other hose
valley cover (or opposite valve cover)-turbo filter pipe

you will need to vary the size or quantity of the 'other hose' in order to not draw too much vaccum (may make crank seals squeal and suck in) and also to allow plenty of any crank case pressure to exit during WOT
Old 08-30-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK, I am with you now Dave. I will start with 3/8" ID on the other hose since that is what I have.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Update

Hey, I think my smoking issue has drastically improved. I tried the MM idea, seems to have worked well. I have a mess of hoses now , but it works.

I still have some smoking after letting off the gas after getting on it, but it is 50 times better than it used to be.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

cool man, just pay extra attention to your oil seperator and oil level.. you may go through some revisions so that no oil is ingested into the engine. i actually fouled a spark plug with my first configuration before i had an oil separator in there it was so much.

also it would be great if you could get ahold of another boost gauge or temporarily use yours to measure the vacuum in the crankcase AND watch that no positive pressure develops during WOT

also once you see how much vacuum you have, you can tinker with ways to get more vaccum = less smoke

lastly if the turbo is used you may just have a worn out one on your hands and needs a couple hundred dollar rebuild
Old 09-01-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
cool man, just pay extra attention to your oil seperator and oil level.. you may go through some revisions so that no oil is ingested into the engine. i actually fouled a spark plug with my first configuration before i had an oil separator in there it was so much.

also it would be great if you could get ahold of another boost gauge or temporarily use yours to measure the vacuum in the crankcase AND watch that no positive pressure develops during WOT

also once you see how much vacuum you have, you can tinker with ways to get more vaccum = less smoke

lastly if the turbo is used you may just have a worn out one on your hands and needs a couple hundred dollar rebuild
I appreciate the advice Dave. I acutally used a fuel filter for my oil seperator, seems to work pretty good. Even if I have to change it out every 2k miles its only 3$.

So far it appears to ingesting very little oil, I guess I just had some crankcase pressure that needed to be gotten rid of. I will try and borrow a boost gauge like you suggested.
This turbo is supposedly fresh from a rebuild. Only has 250 miles on it since rebuild according to the seller.

I will pull a few spark plugs here in a couple weeks and see how they look. I need to get tuning on this now.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

its a real crappy feeling to drive around in a fresh $X,000 investment and have it smoke like a junker..i dealt with it of and on for years until i found my cheap solution.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, I completely understand. It is even worse when people at the stoplights ask if your car is OK, or if it is on fire. For a guy that takes pride in his car it's quite embarrassing.

Quick Reply: Cant stop the smoking