Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tc76 Arrived!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, just finished up my pressure testing rigs and will be testing everything from the turbo to the TB. IF nothing leaks, then i'll be ripping into the engine.

I'll post up pics of my pressure testing rigs so others can copy em, great to have if you have a FI car.
J
Old 10-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into buying one of these turbos but one of my friends on the corvette forum who purchased a TC76Q-trim is havign similar issues getting boost above a certain level and it is completely unexplained as well.. he has even removed the reference lines from his wastegate and nothing seems to work. just hoping it isn't a problem with these turbocharger units. has me worried because a TC76MPS same as yours has my name written all over it with the outstanding warranty they have on them.

Chris.

PS.... have you investigated the turbo at all? and is there anyone close to you have who has a similar sized turbo you could try, too eliminate the turbo as a possible cause.. just worries me that two similar instances unexplained with the same units.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nope no one close to me with a T4 flange that I know of. I got rid of all my other turbo's as well to buy this one. I'll have to ask around to see if I can find a 76 or 74mm T4 flanged turbo around here.

Thanks for the heads up, do you have a link to the post so I can read up...I really hope this turbo doesn't max out at 9psi on a small 346-348ci.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9psi....hehe, not quite. Guys its the same compressor wheel down to the part # used on all other 76's. It will flat out make some power. We have customers making some big power with these units.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah the problem lies elsewhere. I just found the link to the corvette post/forum. Got some good reading/info in that post, the guy is going through the same identical hell that i'm going through

He is stuck at 7psi and drops to 5, i'm stuck at 9psi and it holds it there but doesn't go up or down, just stays at 9psi I even moved the boost reference to the top port of the WG and it was the samething but boosted slower and made about 1psi less

So tis why I made my pressure testing rigs. I also ordered some new carbon gaskets for the headers, T4 flange and my truck manifold flanges, to help seal up any leaks that could be there.

J
Old 10-17-2006, 03:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Block the wastegate off completely.....that will bring up the boost
Old 10-17-2006, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

EDit... just seen your other post....
Old 10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Launching!

sorry for the delay, looks like ya got there before I could post a link. I don't think there is a problem with the 76 wheel not making the power.. that is proven, I am just curious as to the similar issues with the same units being used where the previous did not have this problem. obviously not being at the cars first hand to maybe catch something new that has been overlooked.. you know the fresh set of eyes see more idea... but putting a pressure reference on top of the watsegate should keep that puppy shut completely.. and blocking it off is another idea but if it still isn't coming up on boost.. could it be something else maybe? int he turbo? I know they are pretty simple designed components.. they spin and move air.. could it be a tolerance issue scrubbing keeping the wheels from turning fast enough? I dunno.. just tossing ideas.. the warranty lets ya rest comfortable enough though and I agree.. this is the unit I want to buy because of that!! Jose convinced of that! now just torn between going std bearing or the BB....

Dr. Turbo do you have a recommendation on the two units? BB or std?

keep us posted on the pressure testing man.. following along with ya!!

Chris
Old 10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by lcvette
sorry for the delay, looks like ya got there before I could post a link. I don't think there is a problem with the 76 wheel not making the power.. that is proven, I am just curious as to the similar issues with the same units being used where the previous did not have this problem. obviously not being at the cars first hand to maybe catch something new that has been overlooked.. you know the fresh set of eyes see more idea... but putting a pressure reference on top of the watsegate should keep that puppy shut completely.. and blocking it off is another idea but if it still isn't coming up on boost.. could it be something else maybe? int he turbo? I know they are pretty simple designed components.. they spin and move air.. could it be a tolerance issue scrubbing keeping the wheels from turning fast enough? I dunno.. just tossing ideas.. the warranty lets ya rest comfortable enough though and I agree.. this is the unit I want to buy because of that!! Jose convinced of that! now just torn between going std bearing or the BB....

Dr. Turbo do you have a recommendation on the two units? BB or std?

keep us posted on the pressure testing man.. following along with ya!!

Chris
Well they are all done on a CNC machine so the tolerances are the same. And I know a few of our mustang customers that bought them are making some big power. I know one went 6.11@117 in the 1/8th with his in a 3500lbs GT. That was with 19psi.....

As for BB vs Non BB. Well Jason and Jose both preach its not needed on a larger ci engine. So far what I have seen personally I tend to agree. Its not worth the extra added cost unless you are just looking for every bit of extra spooling rpm possible. Then maybe so...
Old 10-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Launching!

cool... I agree the extra cost is too much if it only adds a few hundred RPM spool.. I will grab a 50 shot nitrous kit and that will do more then a BB unit probably.

I was just curious as Jose directed me to these threads and I saw he had mentioned that the BB unit was a big bang for the buck but I guess he had not had a chance to put these TC76MPS units to the test yet at that point and found they were not needed.. do they use a 360 race bearing setup or is it the 270 style.. just curious.

and is there anyways you could explain to me the difference between the TC76 and the regular T76 units listed on your site? is the shaft diameter bigger in one then the other and is one more reliable then the other.. thanks in advance for the answers Dr. Turbo!

Chris
Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Block the wastegate off completely.....that will bring up the boost

But will not help me solve this issue, can't drive it around with a blocked off WG

lcvette,

yeah I wish I had some fresh eyes to help me out with this, but everyone that I know disappears when I ask for a hand

Glad you are helping out and throwing things out there. Me and my dad came to the same point as you, maybe something is causing the turbo to stall somehow, but then the car is keeping at 9psi...if the turbine stalled it would drop and then come back up, right?

The WG is still hooked up with the ref to the top port as we speak. I did that and after it didn't work I kinda gave up for a couple days....week(s) on it. I hate when I don't make progress on something that should be real simple to figure out.

I see all these guys from newbs to pro's making great power and numbers with turbos...and it kills me that my car is sucking so bad
Old 10-17-2006, 04:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

cool... I agree the extra cost is too much if it only adds a few hundred RPM spool.. I will grab a 50 shot nitrous kit and that will do more then a BB unit probably.

I was just curious as Jose directed me to these threads and I saw he had mentioned that the BB unit was a big bang for the buck but I guess he had not had a chance to put these TC76MPS units to the test yet at that point and found they were not needed.. do they use a 360 race bearing setup or is it the 270 style.. just curious.

and is there anyways you could explain to me the difference between the TC76 and the regular T76 units listed on your site? is the shaft diameter bigger in one then the other and is one more reliable then the other.. thanks in advance for the answers Dr. Turbo!

Chris
Chris I saw that post about the other vette, but he is not running a TC unit. He's running an older Q-trim T series 76.

Also yes they are full 360. Not many turbos use 270 anymore except older diesel units. As for the difference, its cover, backing plate and some other small pieces..other then that its the same.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Launching!

after talking to him and Jose, I thought he discharge being a 2.5" which is what he was trying to maintain for his existing setup that it was the TC76Q unit no? thats good to hear about the units being the same I wasn't sure why one would be so much less in price, Like i told Jose, the price is great and the warranty sounds fantastic.. but being such a big investment and being the second one I am having to buy I just want to be 100% on my decision and not let a few hundred bucks sway me on osmething that the overall cost is much more then the difference in price. In your professional opinion.. which unit would you prefer to have cost not a factpr a PT76GTS or the T-netics TC76MPS.. I know you carry both brands so its just a curiousity of mine. obviously the warranty is much better on the Tnetics, but which unit do you think is superior and why?

thanks in advance!

Chris
Old 10-17-2006, 04:41 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea idea what the high altitude people are doing for turbos but the air up there is pretty thin J. A combination of that, a large overlap cam and low compression and maybe thats just all its going to do..
Old 10-17-2006, 05:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

after talking to him and Jose, I thought he discharge being a 2.5" which is what he was trying to maintain for his existing setup that it was the TC76Q unit no? thats good to hear about the units being the same I wasn't sure why one would be so much less in price, Like i told Jose, the price is great and the warranty sounds fantastic.. but being such a big investment and being the second one I am having to buy I just want to be 100% on my decision and not let a few hundred bucks sway me on osmething that the overall cost is much more then the difference in price. In your professional opinion.. which unit would you prefer to have cost not a factpr a PT76GTS or the T-netics TC76MPS.. I know you carry both brands so its just a curiousity of mine. obviously the warranty is much better on the Tnetics, but which unit do you think is superior and why?

thanks in advance!

Chris
I won't speak for Forcedinductions or Turbodiesels per say since this is "MY" opinion and not the companies, whether they agree or not. BUT, if your on a budget nothing will touch the TC unit. Its every bit the quality piece of any other manufacture out there and has the turbonetics warranty which is the best in the industry, bar none.

If your looking for most power between the 2 (being 76GTS and TC76) the 76GTS will outpower it by 100 crank hp...not rwhp. The only difference internally is the turbine wheel, which the MPS is almost as large but aerodynamics are awesome and lighter. The GTS-trim flows good due to shear size, but is a heavier wheel. Money no object I would be flipping a coin though between the 76GTS and the T-series 76MPS (not the TC). It has the larger compressor cover to match closely with the 76GTS, and they are both priced the same. Now if you can fit a T6, then go S76, it will slaughter all the above....lol.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Launching!

That is the exact answer I was looking for... very honest and very informative. Like you said it is broken down in to different categories.. the TC76MPS definately has its place as its cost is superior to the others.. this being said.. I am hoping that the TC76MPS will support at least as much or a little more then my old PT74GTS which felt great but I always knew I wanted the 76.. just a matter of the deal that was put in front of me on the 74GTS I couldn't turn it down.

that being said... for the money and the warranty I am still firm on the TC76MPS and will be contacting Jose or yourself as soon as my funds arrive.. (had to break into the 401K after the motor rebuild and parts replacement chewed up my fun money savings)

have you noticed a difference in spool between the regular T76MPS, PT76GTS and the TC76MPS? and what are the dimensions of the MPS wheel Vs. the GTS wheel? sorry for all the questions but I know they are things I am curious about and am sure others are as well and may help people make their decisions.

Chris
Old 10-17-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
I have no idea idea what the high altitude people are doing for turbos but the air up there is pretty thin J. A combination of that, a large overlap cam and low compression and maybe thats just all its going to do..
Yeah the cam is coming out real soon. But it has to be something simple that i'm overlooking. The GT42 would make 15psi with no issues, just had to get it spooling which I did by upping the timing in the idle, PT areas.

I know this turbo can make more than 9psi(*edit* I'm really hoping it'll make more up here than 9psi LOL)

I just botched something when it was all apart. My vacuum is low(but then again I have a huge cam) but steady, indicative of a manifold leak.....

J
Old 10-17-2006, 05:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Yeah the cam is coming out real soon. But it has to be something simple that i'm overlooking. The GT42 would make 15psi with no issues, just had to get it spooling which I did by upping the timing in the idle, PT areas.

I know this turbo can make more than 9psi(*edit* I'm really hoping it'll make more up here than 9psi LOL)

I just botched something when it was all apart. My vacuum is low(but then again I have a huge cam) but steady, indicative of a manifold leak.....

J

You know it can make more because with the BC out it made more right?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98

J
it would be hard to believe that your cam could be the problem. I have a 24x/24x-114 in my 402 and I am spinning TWO t-76mps's without a problem. they make 6psi on the t-brake/2-step at 4200. and they shoot to 14psi very quickly.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

but it definately isn't the right cam for the job and its not helping things either, hence the reason to switch.

233/244 .578/.602 on a 115 is whats in there now, old blower grind.

Quick Reply: Tc76 Arrived!!!!