Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tc76 Arrived!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lcvette
That is the exact answer I was looking for... very honest and very informative. Like you said it is broken down in to different categories.. the TC76MPS definately has its place as its cost is superior to the others.. this being said.. I am hoping that the TC76MPS will support at least as much or a little more then my old PT74GTS which felt great but I always knew I wanted the 76.. just a matter of the deal that was put in front of me on the 74GTS I couldn't turn it down.

that being said... for the money and the warranty I am still firm on the TC76MPS and will be contacting Jose or yourself as soon as my funds arrive.. (had to break into the 401K after the motor rebuild and parts replacement chewed up my fun money savings)

have you noticed a difference in spool between the regular T76MPS, PT76GTS and the TC76MPS? and what are the dimensions of the MPS wheel Vs. the GTS wheel? sorry for all the questions but I know they are things I am curious about and am sure others are as well and may help people make their decisions.

Chris
Don't have the exact sizes on the turbos, Jose and Jason are the guys for that. I can look it up in the morning though. As for spool up the TC and T series units spool up FAST for non BB units and will outspool the GTS. I have seen 200rpms sooner on a twin Viper that was tested.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98
but it definately isn't the right cam for the job and its not helping things either, hence the reason to switch.

233/244 .578/.602 on a 115 is whats in there now, old blower grind.
What'cha gonna do with it?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Throw it in the river

Which is spanish for, its yours if you want it.
J
Old 10-17-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw it in the river

Which is spanish for, its yours if you want it.
J

nO ITS NOT.... MAN I NEED TO TEACH U SPANISH TOO.....

he's got a daddy named forrest too.....
Old 10-17-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

yo tango err..muy grande camshafto...no es bueno???

Is that right
Old 10-17-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo tango err..muy grande camshafto...no es bueno???

Is that right
You damn coconut!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

shhh..."they" are watching....
Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

so have you figured out the problem yet?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eric Bazan
You damn coconut!

shhhh those who u must not speak about might be listening......

Spanish is getting a lil better we will work on it.....
Old 10-18-2006, 10:35 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by sr71
it would be hard to believe that your cam could be the problem. I have a 24x/24x-114 in my 402 and I am spinning TWO t-76mps's without a problem. they make 6psi on the t-brake/2-step at 4200. and they shoot to 14psi very quickly.
I didnt say the cam was his 'only' problem, just may be contributing to the overall problem. Things are a lot different at 5000' then 1000' elevation, its hard to compress the air if there isnt any

Did you try it without the air filter out of curiousity?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah put a screen on it with the same results. It was one of the first things I tried since it was one of the easiest things to take off and check.

redcobra, nope.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Launching!

go ahead and put a block off plate where the wastegate is to eliminate the gate itself from being bad... should be simple enough.. piece of 1/4" steel from lowes and a drill and grinder can cut a rough plate in a few minutes... let her rip!

Chris
Old 10-18-2006, 04:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by lcvette
go ahead and put a block off plate where the wastegate is to eliminate the gate itself from being bad... should be simple enough.. piece of 1/4" steel from lowes and a drill and grinder can cut a rough plate in a few minutes... let her rip!

Chris

lol. you just want to see if it is the turbo...

Yeah put a screen on it with the same results. It was one of the first things I tried since it was one of the easiest things to take off and check.

redcobra, nope.

I thought in your other thread when you bypassed the MBC it boosted up to the spring?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dragframe
I thought in your other thread when you bypassed the MBC it boosted up to the spring?
Not sure I follow where you are going with this, but yeah we did that and it worked, cracked the WG open to the spring rating of ~11psi. Figured it was the turbosmart boost controller messing up, replaced it with a new hallman MBC hooked up either way (top port and correctly at the bottom port) closed and cranked fully open, only boost to 9psi. Do you think the WG is bad?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe I'm missing something here. If you removed the mbc and were able to see 11psi and the gate opened on spring pressure, then everything there seems to be ok. With the mbc hooked up you could only get 9psi? If the gate were bad or you had it hooked up wrong somehow it would seem that you would still see 11psi but the gate just wouldn't open.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, thats why i'm having such a hard time with it. Hooked straight to the compressor cover to the WG side port, no BC at all. it'll crack it open and hit ~11 psi. I wouldn't have spent 89 bucks on another BC if I didn't think the turbosmart one was bad.

What do you guys think....that i'm leaving out info for some reason

Now I have two good BC's and a car that won't boost up with either inline, no matter how much they are cranked open.

Breakdown of what I done to figure this out.

Removed BC
Bought a new BC, same
Removed air filter
Removed and checked IC tubing for holes
Removed all silicone and check for tears or pinholes
Replaced all T bolts with new ones
Removed the crossover and put a fresh bead of high temp copper RTV on all flanges

Can't make more than 9psi with a BC new or old hooked up.

Haven't been able to pressure test the IC tubing and IC on the car because i'm working on another project.

Last edited by frcefed98; 10-18-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a thought. When you say you hooked straight to the compressor cover to the WG port and saw 11psi do you mean your guage showed 11psi or that the WG opened? You should loose somewhere in the neighborhood of 1psi+ between your WG and let's say vaccum at the brake booster. Where is your guage tied into? Have you tired to hook the WG to the same place as your guage?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

do you think the BV is bleeding off presure?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

02SSLE
Might be i'll get a good read on it when I pressure test the IC pipes from the turbo to the TB. It'll be pretty evident where things are leaking then....if they are.

Bird O' prey,
Guage is inaccurate, its only your basic boost gauge, reason why I put ~11psi, its a lil less according to my HPT logs. I should be losing 1.5psi through the IC and tubing.

Gauge is tied into my brake booster line, I have all my boost ref stuff ref'ed off of there with the exception of the WG line.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Dragframe]lol. you just want to see if it is the turbo...QUOTE]

No not really.. I hope to god its not and am doubtful it would be.. I think it may be in the wastegate if there are no leaks found elsewhere in the preturbo plumbing on the hot side and none in the IC. could be the valve seated wrong.. not sure what gate he is using.. never answered my question on it. I know on my HKS 40mm wastegate, the sealing seat is actually on the flange and I have set that bad boy on there cocked funny and wow did it make a difference. the first gate I tried using was one of those 50mm HKS knock offs.. never again will I waste money on jumk.. it was useless for the 200 bucks I spent on it.. that was a long long time ago when I first started the build and was ordering parts.. so i ponied up for a real 40mm HKS unit and my problems were solved, it is a non adjustable wastegate and I am fine with that! seems like the more gasgets ya have the more things go wrong.. so I have a variety of springs I have tested, one for 10psi, 14psi, 18psi, 22psi and one for 27psi. I usually keep the 18psi spring in it and attempt to use my Greddy profec B to raise boost.. I have one setting right for the high boost and it will hold 23psi very steady.. I will say using the BC it spools to peak boost alot faster as I have it set to hold pressure on top of the diaphragm until right at 21psi.. so the gate doesn't budge until it references 23psi from the compressor housing... this equates perfectly to 21psi where I can hear it begin to open then she settles right on 23 and holds steady.

god all this talk of it makes me want the car back on the road!!!!!!! hurry up 401K withdrawal check dammit!!

Chris

Quick Reply: Tc76 Arrived!!!!