Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Did Mightymouse crash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're saying that RD hooks better then VMP and has less traction issues then im going to deff. have to not agree with you on that, maybe there wasn't something on the track, i know a bike almost whiped out around 1,200 ft and that is something i seen with my own two eyes....the last time i ran there was when Dan Wise was the owner and he was a joke...VMP isnt much better as far as having everything together, but i do think the track is MUCH safer, the lighting is better there for night racing, the track is smoother and they use VHT on their track, and when there is an oil down they have more equipment to get the race started again way sooner, bottom line is VMP you get more passes, when there is an oil down you are back up and running faster than you would be at RD and VMP hooks better
Old 09-16-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow that sucks... If it was the tracks fault... couldnt Dave get something of of this?

I hope all is well..
Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

morning people
first thanks very much for the kind words.. i dont know what else to say about that, it means a lot

at this point today i am completely 100% fine, feel like i played football yesterday but thats it. i thank the build of the car for sucking up the impact.

i thank myself for not removing any of the safety bracing, air bags, supports, having the appropriate safety equipment etc etc. I suggest everyone do the same.

here are some more pics of the car, and ive asked frost to go ahead and post the video when he gets it done. i haven't seen it myself yet
http://www.fastrides.com/forums/14243/ShowPost.aspx

here are some things that i know
i was running (first pass of the afternoon) 17psi, so something like 800rw
i was running brand new (first pass) mt et street slicks on my zo6 wheels (not radials)
a guy oiled down toward the finish line in my lane about 10 passes before me

some things that i think
i dont like those back tires, they were all loosey goosey even compared to my larger hoosiers, that with my wide 18" front tires made for a bad combo
i think i was probably the car most in need of traction the second 1/8th mile, so it makes sense that perhaps i spun where others before me didn't
i think if the track had asphalt instead of gravel down the side of the track it would have been better

basically what happend was i was trying to real a friend of mine's mustang in toward the end of the track, i was probably in the middle of 4th gear, something like 130 and the *** end started going left on me.
I countersteer'd left slightly to chase it, and it didnt straighten up until i was about a whole car width into gravel down the side of the track.
when i went slight right to try to get back on to the track so i could start using the brakes (short shutdown area, didnt want to continue into the woods) the car hooked right and broadslid down the track and busted the front end straight into the left lane wall.
the *** end spun around and tagged the wall sometime after the airbags came out and i spun around some more.
i remember i was screaming mad loud as i could inside the car as soon as it hooked right.. i was so mad i was gonna wreck and that i was out of control

future will most likely be a slow process i am interested in any ideas about the following in no particular order. if you have any leads etc. please don't hesitate to let me know

rebuild current car, need 98+ bird probably from firewall forward, needs frame work i am sure along with a repaint the middle, rear are straight and i believe the elecrical system and drivetrain are all fine
late model gm all wheel drive suv (turbo ls1 transplant) with or without engine
3rd gen rx7 for ls1 transplant, preferrably minimal work required
c5 vette with or without engine
any good ls1 body to accept my parts up to a running car

the best deal i have going locally is a 97 v6 bird body for 300, but i would want to do the ls1 front end and another raptor hood. it is a white hard top and after all of that i would need to swap all of my junk into it, and of course replace all the smushed turbo parts

thanks again everybody!

p.s. if there is anything on my car that anyone really wants for whatever reason, please pm me about it
Old 09-16-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been said 100 times, your alright cars can be replaced.

If it were me I wouldn't even attempt to repair this car I'd start with that 97 bird and move all of your stuff into it over the winter months.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

didnt really know you very well man, but you have been a great help with my whole turbo built just with little stupid things and such.....sorry to hear about the car. Whatever you decide to do i am sure it will be badass!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

I am glad you are ok david and When Beverly found out she sends her wishes as well.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ICULOKN
Guys, In no way am I blaming this on Davids car at all. He is a drag racing friend of mine and I respect him. More than anything I am glad he is ok.

But, There were 4 & 5 second 1/8th mile cars at the track last night, two of which I was driving. I made passes in both lanes and there was no problems. In the top ET car I ran 1.19 60 foots and 5.40's @ 135. I was still over 120mph when I crossed the 1/4 mile. Im my street car, I ran 144 mph through the 1/4 mile traps @ 9.23 ET.

Now, Davids car makes 1000rwhp and is very close to being on the edge. It would not have taken much to make his car let loose for sure. I know Richmond Dragway does not let things slide. An hour before he ran they shut the track down to check the top end after a smoky run. I am personal friends with the Track Manager and I know he would not let anyone run on a unsafe track. Many people do not like RD because it is not the smoothest track around, but it IS the best hooking track around. I run 2-3 times a week at many tracks and none compare to the starting line @ RD. Please dont doubt the safety of RD guys... I have been racing there for 10 years and know the people very well...

David, I am glad ur ok my friend. I came to the end of the track to make sure you were. The car is metal that can be replaced. You couldnt have been.
I can def back Richard up on this. I have been racing at RD for 3 years and RD is one of the best hooking tracks I have ever been to. I too race every weekend there and yes even though the top 1/8 of the track is a little bumpy and the pits are gravel it is still a good track to race at. The track crew does everything in thier power to keep the track safe for the racers.

Sorry to hear of your loss David.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
morning people
first thanks very much for the kind words.. i dont know what else to say about that, it means a lot
I love LS1Tech for that.... what a great community. Dave, I will keep my eye out for any of what you listed. I am just glad to see that the next day where many would be completely disheartend that you are already considering rebuild... and its LS1 Based

Hope it all works out for the best in the end!
Old 09-16-2006, 11:23 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to here about this David. Good luck It would make the most sense to swap to the bird and use all the TA parts you can you really only need the unibody and fenders and you could paint it what ever color you wanted this time sounds like more money, but isn't that always the case? I have repaired an f-body with more damage, but I would recomend just using the unibody for $300 that is way cheaper than the time it takes to cut and remove all the damged stuff and intall the new clip and get it strait where all the body panels line up. The cost of painting all of the stuff would almost be a wash considering you would have to paint the front and rear any ways. Good luck let me know if you want to know any info as I am pretty experienced with this type of stuff.
Jeff
Old 09-16-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Dave,
I posted in the other thread, but just saying glad you're okay. Best of luck on the rebuild/new build.

Andy
Old 09-16-2006, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

very shitty to hear MM. glad you are okay!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Man - I dont post here much as you can see (my post count is wrong), but Damn Glad to here you are OK!!!

Regards Matt

Last edited by 67chevelle02SS; 09-16-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

That definately sucks man. The pictures give me a sick feelings. The main thing is that you're all right. You've done alot for the LS1 turbo world and I know we'll help you get back into racing.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:21 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Brains is on the right idea with the tube front. Especially after seeing this one

Again I'm sorry to hear that this happened and hope the turn around time is a quick one.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

let us know if there is anything we can do. im glad to hear your alright.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:24 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
here are some things that i know
i was running (first pass of the afternoon) 17psi, so something like 800rw
i was running brand new (first pass) mt et street slicks on my zo6 wheels (not radials)
a guy oiled down toward the finish line in my lane about 10 passes before me

some things that i think
i dont like those back tires, they were all loosey goosey even compared to my larger hoosiers, that with my wide 18" front tires made for a bad combo
i think i was probably the car most in need of traction the second 1/8th mile, so it makes sense that perhaps i spun where others before me didn't
i think if the track had asphalt instead of gravel down the side of the track it would have been better
Question, were you running slicks and radials? I've always heard mixing them was a big no no and causes an uneasy / drifting feeling.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never meet you Dave but it sounds like your a really cool guy who has contributed a lot to this community. I'm glad to hear your safe bro.

Take care,
John
Old 09-16-2006, 01:08 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you're OK, like everyone says, the cars replaceable, but I know it hurts anyway.

I'd be glad to donate some parts towards the rebuild, I don't have much but I bet if we all pull together we can get alot whats needed. Or we do the paypal thing.

On a side note, those tires suck *****. A mustang I'm supposed to race on the street soon runs them, I watched him get squirrelly on them going about 80 mph with MAYBE 400 RWHP, more like 300. I am making over 700 and on my MT DR's I don't get that bad at that speed. He is also on 17" rims, so its almost identical to your wheel/tire setup. The 3xx rwhp LT1 car he was racing had no problems hooking and he was on bald goodyear radials, not even DR's.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:18 PM
STP
Staging Lane

Sorry about the car,that sucks. go buy a older v6 firebird and switch out your stuff the inner structure is the same except where the factory air box bolts to but the head lights bumper cover fenders will all bolt up
Old 09-16-2006, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Glad he is okay! Take care and best wishes with your next project. I am sure it will be a monster like the first one was! Let everyone know what you may need to help you along the way and I am sure most people around here will help out to the best of their ability.

Cory

Quick Reply: Did Mightymouse crash?