Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

DTE/APS Twin Turbo C6 Corvette Results- 10.89 @ 129

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTE/APS Twin Turbo C6 Corvette Results- 10.89 @ 129

Someone PM'd a request that we post this here:

We've been working w/ APS for a while now on a couple of project cars, with one of them being a 2005 C6 Corvette Convertible LS2/A4. We built this car using their TT System, but implemented a few upgrades of our own design that offers increased engine durability over standard installations, a cleaner (more like ****) O.E.M.-installed appearance using some of our own products we use everyday in our performance upgrades and emission compliance with the use of full, high flow catalysts not present with standard installations. Oversimplified~ Our DTE/APS Twin Turbo Upgrade Packages are entirely complete in scope complete A to Z.

As most probably already know, I was formerly with LPE for a few years- back in the intial R&D days of turbo-charging the C5 Corvette vehicle platform. I had a unique opportunity back then to witness and/or test, in some capacity, what worked and what didn't regarding turbo-charging of this engine, using a very similar overall core turbo system design that is seen as the APS TT System of today. I built 11 of those twin turbo cars back then and the experience gained form that direct, hands-on contact with those cars has been invaluable in building these turbo cars here recently. Building these new C6 Corvette vehicles today with this new APS Twin Turbo System was very familiar to me, based on my prior experience and knowledge gained back then. I've passed along all of my engineering notes to my technicians here I've kept over the years, so they are fully trained now for these installations also.

We're proud to offer our new DTE/APS Twin Turbo C6 Corvette Performance Upgrade Packages!

We completed the car's build and PCM calibration last week and the results were excellent. As true to form for this turbo system design I've had experience with in the past, it performed better than expected in a number of different areas. The instructions were very easily understood and laid out for our technicians to follow. The quality of the various parts components and sub-systems were excellent. The fitment of the kit overall was very nice and finally, the performance/operation of the entire system was flawless and superb.

I'm a M.E. myself by education and I look very close at such things as fitment, function, component quality, etc. more than what most folks would and I can say I'm very impressed with how APS has thought of everything! I'm not just saying that to be nice either, as anyone who knows me well, knows I speak my mind when needed- good or bad. Very nice work from the folks at APS and we think they have hit a homerun here with this system!

*BASIC VEHICLE SPECS*
2005 C6 Corvette Convertible
Yellow w/ black convertible top
2700.0 miles approx.
O.E.M. LS2 engine
O.E.M. 4L60-E 4-speed automatic transmission
APS Twin Turbo System set here @ 9 psi. intake port pressure
O.E.M. suspension
BFG street tires
Random Tech high flow catalysts mated to O.E. 2.5" H-pipe
DTE custom PCM calibration using HPT
DTE Stage II upgrade for this for this specific vehicle model year (see
attached spec sheet for our offered packages)
DTE Stage II C6 Differential w/ DTE differential strut

*POWER RESULTS*
552 RWHP/513 RWTQ on 93 octane pump fuel, though unlocked DTE turbo-specific torque converter, through dual high flow catalysts, mated to the stock 2.5" O.E.M. H-pipe, attached to Magnaflow mufflers- All this tested on our accurate in-ground 248c Dynojet Chassis Dyno. I suspect the torque peak occurred a bit before the converter flash point, hence the peak torque area of the graph not being captured by the dyno pull. The next T.C. we use with
this system will be approx. 200 RPM tighter. (see attached dyno sheet)

~DYNO CELL CONDITIONS
Ambient Air Temp.- 64.05*
Baro Pressure- 29.27 in./Hg.
Water Vapor Humidity- 49%
SAE Correction Factor- 1.00
Rear Tire Pressure- 35 psi
Engine Coolant Temperature- 189*
Run Time- 9:33 am
Run Date- 9-29-06

*PERFORMANCE RESULTS*
Best E.T. of 10.89 @ 129 MPH on Mickey Thompson E.T. Drag Radials at
Indianapolis Raceway Park w/ a fully prepped track. We had to launch the car under the initial boost threshold to obtain any sort of start traction on the tires we were using. In fact, during this 10-second pass, the car broke loose and spun again at the 100 ft mark, even after it was already hooked at the 60 ft mark! Excellent power indeed and pulled like a train all the way to our preset 6800 engine RPM redline. I suspect there is a tenth or two left in the car if full slicks were added to the chassis for traction and the launch RPM was brought higher to the hysteresis of boost. Anyway one cuts it, that's flat-out moving for an every-day driver that gets 26+ MPG highway, drives like a completely stock car in every way and is whisper quiet in operation. If this car pulled up beside you at a stop light, you would not give it a second look, as it's stone-stock quiet, stone-stock smooth and stone stock sounding on mild acceleration- until you mash the throttle!

As stated before~ APS has done a *GREAT* job here with this system and we're looking forward to exploring the limits of it's power output design in the future. If this car's performance is any indication of the future, we're goona have some fun!

BTW- We're using RPM Transmisisons in our Stage II automatic packages and we can't say enough about the product build quality and professional personnel found over there. We thumped this car like it owed us money, pass-after-pass and Rodney & Co. transmissions performed flawlessly...everytime! Props to you folks!

Additional feedback can be found here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1517033

Best Regards,
Phil Rickard
President/Owner
Dynotech Engineering Inc.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

awesome work guys, and great data you provided, thats alot of info
Old 10-10-2006, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

Congrats on the 10.8 run Phil, that's definately haulin' tha mail

Ed
Old 10-10-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

nice!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Coal Mining Director

No question.....Phil knows turbos and QUALITY.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:08 PM
NKAWTG...N

Pictures NOW!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Coal Mining Director

Phil, have you tested any high boost systems yet? (+15psi)
Old 10-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

We're working on it.

We're in the process now of building a 9-second TT 2003 C5 Corvette Z06 for a former 3-time NHRA Pro-Stock Champion on a built 347, another build on a previously built DTE 427 T-trim Vortech S/C 2002 C5 Corvette Convertible A4 car for a local customer of ours that is trading in his S/C for a TT set up and a pending build on a previously built DTE 383 T-trim Vortech S/C 2003 C5 Corvette Convertible A4 car for an out-of-State customer of ours that is also trading in his S/C for a TT set up.

All three of these engines will carry elevated boost levels in some capacity and we're targeting the entire performance package components' to function well in tandem with each other to provide smooth, clean, reliable power through sound engineering.

The next few weeks should be very interesting...

Phil- DTE
Old 10-11-2006, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Doing any work on a clean OEM look twin or single turbo setup for an F-body?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Not at this time, sorry. Our plate is entirely full with the Corvette-specific packages currently. Thanks for asking.

Best Regards,
DTE
Old 10-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Dynotech Engineering
We're working on it.

We're in the process now of building a 9-second TT 2003 C5 Corvette Z06 for a former 3-time NHRA Pro-Stock Champion on a built 347, another build on a previously built DTE 427 T-trim Vortech S/C 2002 C5 Corvette Convertible A4 car for a local customer of ours that is trading in his S/C for a TT set up and a pending build on a previously built DTE 383 T-trim Vortech S/C 2003 C5 Corvette Convertible A4 car for an out-of-State customer of ours that is also trading in his S/C for a TT set up.

All three of these engines will carry elevated boost levels in some capacity and we're targeting the entire performance package components' to function well in tandem with each other to provide smooth, clean, reliable power through sound engineering.

The next few weeks should be very interesting...

Phil- DTE

Are you using 50lb/min turbos or going custom?

Going to use the maf on the 9 sec car? I can't convince myself to delete the maf so far.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dynotech Engineering
Not at this time, sorry. Our plate is entirely full with the Corvette-specific packages currently. Thanks for asking.

Best Regards,
DTE
must be cuz the Firebird is no more!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by onfire
Are you using 50lb/min turbos or going custom?

Going to use the maf on the 9 sec car? I can't convince myself to delete the maf so far.
I'll post back results and the final set-up when we get there.

Phil- DTE

Quick Reply: DTE/APS Twin Turbo C6 Corvette Results- 10.89 @ 129