Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

355 LT1 built for boost

Old 11-05-2006, 12:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 355 LT1 built for boost

Guys, I have some questions on building a 355 LT1 for alot of boost. Somewhere in the 18 to 22lb range for a turbo project. First question, is it possible to put this much boost on a 355 LT1 with well chosen performance parts ? I'm in the process of locating a bare LT1 block to start building the bottom end. What happens if I take the block out to 357 CI, does this present any problem with bore or stroke and durability of running that much boost or should I try to keep the clean-up on bore to a minimum (.10 over). I'm starting off with some real simple questions, so I can figure out the basics of what I can and can't do with a small cube big boost application. This site has the best info of any that I frequent and look forward to your input and help Anybody who would like to provide me with a basic outline of what they would do first to the block to prepare for this type of HP assault on engine internals please speak up
Old 11-05-2006, 05:21 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=37

This build that we did might help out a little. For a turbo you will want the compression lower than what we ran. .10 won't hurt the LT1 block. Bob
Old 11-05-2006, 06:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What goals do you have besides targeting a certain "boost" level? What HP/TQ do you want to achieve?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

EPP (Bob) thanks for the link to a LT1 buildup. Looks like you did a good job on that guys LT 383 ! I'm going to be splaying the block for sure for 4 bolt mains and I've already been told I should block fill. What do you think on the block filling an LT1 for this kind of boost (18-20). Is it necessary or just a good idea to do because it does not cost a whole lot more. Initially I want to do all the things that should prep the block correctly before I get into buying other parts. Any input on block prep for this application is appreciated.

RealQuick,
I don't have an exact HP/TQ I want to achieve, but if I had to put a number to the PSI I would think somewhere around 700/750 ish. I know these are pretty big numbers for a LT car.

Last edited by 96silverram; 11-05-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 96silverram
EPP (Bob) thanks for the link to a LT1 buildup. Looks like you did a good job on that guys LT 383 ! I'm going to be splaying the block for sure for 4 bolt mains and I've already been told I should block fill. What do you think on the block filling an LT1 for this kind of boost (18-20). Is it necessary or just a good idea to do because it does not cost a whole lot more. Initially I want to do all the things that should prep the block correctly before I get into buying other parts. Any input on block prep for this application is appreciated.

RealQuick,
I don't have an exact HP/TQ I want to achieve, but if I had to put a number to the PSI I would think somewhere around 700/750 ish. I know these are pretty big numbers for a LT car.
15-18psi to get those #'s with a T76..
Old 11-05-2006, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

RealQuick, What is your take on block filling, did you already fill yours ? Do you have any suggestions on a particular brand of splayed caps and fasteners for my project. I know your in the process of building your turbo setup what compression is your motor ?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

RealQuick, What is your take on block filling, did you already fill yours ? Do you have any suggestions on a particular brand of splayed caps and fasteners for my project. I know your in the process of building your turbo setup what compression is your motor ?
If your staying under 1000rwhp then I dont think block filling is needed. I am purchasing a T88 for my setup, so Looking for 800-900rwhp on racefuel... no block fill for me since this will me mainly a street car. If it were a track only car, then I would consider it. Any brand 4 splayed caps should do fine (Eagle, Callies... I have Eagle 18 degree caps). ARP main studs and ARP2000 rod bolts is what I am using (per Erik @ HPE). Who's turbo kit are you buying, or are you building it?

Jon
Old 11-06-2006, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

RealQuick,
Wow, 800/900 on race gas that is gonna be a nasty LT1 I originally was looking at the *** kit, but now I think I've decided to go with the OFI kit. I've talked with Joel a couple of times over the last few weeks and he has been very helpful everytime I have called. I will probably use the PRO-Gram splayed caps with ARP bolts at this point of info gathering. Is there any negatives to HALF-Filling the block if the car will be used on the street more than the strip ?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

RealQuick,
Wow, 800/900 on race gas that is gonna be a nasty LT1 I originally was looking at the *** kit, but now I think I've decided to go with the OFI kit. I've talked with Joel a couple of times over the last few weeks and he has been very helpful everytime I have called. I will probably use the PRO-Gram splayed caps with ARP bolts at this point of info gathering. Is there any negatives to HALF-Filling the block if the car will be used on the street more than the strip ?
It will be a true header kit with T88.. so it should make power I am actually going to be building a T88 kit that keeps A/C for someone in the next few weeks.

I heard possible overheating issues, but I dont have any real world experience with block filling.

Jon
Old 11-06-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bore the block the least amount you have to... If it needs .030 over to clean it up then do that and stick with 355cu.... If less, then less. The thicker the cylinder walls the better.

2 more cubic inches from boring it a lil more wont give you any more HP.. and it will weaken the block.. plus, you can only bore it out so much and then the block can't be reused again...

Just my $.02
Steve
Old 11-06-2006, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Realquick,

Sounds like a very interesting project you have planned with T88 and keeping A/C

Steve01SS,
I thought if I only did .010 over it would require a custom piston, that is why I was just going to do a 355 (no more, no less ). Do you think it will have heating issues with Half Filling the block in Texas weather. I don't drive the car much at all and usually it would only come out as the sun was going down. I'm thinking I should do some block fill with the potential of making north of 700/750 ish.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Realquick,

Sounds like a very interesting project you have planned with T88 and keeping A/C

Steve01SS,
I thought if I only did .010 over it would require a custom piston, that is why I was just going to do a 355 (no more, no less ). Do you think it will have heating issues with Half Filling the block in Texas weather. I don't drive the car much at all and usually it would only come out as the sun was going down. I'm thinking I should do some block fill with the potential of making north of 700/750 ish.
I would post the block fill question on cz28.com in the FI section... mostly LT1's there. Forthepower you want, I dont think its necessary, but if it gives you peace of mind and if it doesnt affect cruisin around in the car, then do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 355 LT1 built for boost