Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Somethings wrong with the car... (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is the throwout bearing took a dump and all that noise you here is that. Let us know.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Or if you've actually been working on thesecars from the begining (97&98) they were 15mm first, then went to 13mm...

Ryan K.
I was talking about 2000 year models here..But yes 15mm on the old ones..Too bad you didnt bust ***** on this car..Sucks doesnt it?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,135 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Or if you've actually been working on thesecars from the begining (97&98) they were 15mm first, then went to 13mm...

Ryan K.
LOL!!! Just spit coffee all over my monitor!!! I had no idea they switched to 13mm.

If the starter setup is fugged up it can have that free wheeling sound. But it seems more likely that you blew up the clutch.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
LOL!!! Just spit coffee all over my monitor!!! I had no idea they switched to 13mm.

If the starter setup is fugged up it can have that free wheeling sound. But it seems more likely that you blew up the clutch.
I agree with what a gentleman above said and with you John, in that it could be the starter. I highly doubt its the clutch because the clutch was not pressed in when the car shut off. The car just died, no sputtering, no clanking.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Original Poster: Do you have any pics of your setup from different angles? Does your DP exit through the pass. or driver side?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Jeesh.. 4l80e I know just the person/builder to help you with that..

If your interested pm cablebandit, and ask for how he did his.

Peace,
Josh
Old 11-29-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I honestly hope it is nothing serious and you can get it back on the road quickly. However- I have a concern- please do not take it personally!- How/why the hell do you have a 900+ whp car, but you cannot diagnose or possibly repair a noise it is making? Also, why the hell would you have all that without any safety equipment at all (scatter shield, cage, etc.)? I see too many people who can barely turn a wrench lately owning high HP cars because you can pretty much mail order speed now- and it leads to a lot of frustration and broken parts due to improper setup, maintainence, mechanical ability etc.

Again, not trying to poke fun at you or kick you while you're down, but this is where time and experience prevails and learning to walk before you run comes into play.

Good luck and hopefully it is nothing serious- we all know that "uh-oh" feeling all to well .
Joe
Old 11-29-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
I honestly hope it is nothing serious and you can get it back on the road quickly. However- I have a concern- please do not take it personally!- How/why the hell do you have a 900+ whp car, but you cannot diagnose or possibly repair a noise it is making? Also, why the hell would you have all that without any safety equipment at all (scatter shield, cage, etc.)? I see too many people who can barely turn a wrench lately owning high HP cars because you can pretty much mail order speed now- and it leads to a lot of frustration and broken parts due to improper setup, maintainence, mechanical ability etc.

Again, not trying to poke fun at you or kick you while you're down, but this is where time and experience prevails and learning to walk before you run comes into play.

Good luck and hopefully it is nothing serious- we all know that "uh-oh" feeling all to well .
Joe
I'm no damn Nascar technician myself.. But I'll be the first on to get up under my car.. I have a high hp car.. And how do you think we afford it? Leisurely working on our cars? NO.. Got to make that money.. I stay crazy busy working... But I do enjoy working on my car when I have time.. But a lot of times I have to drop it off at a shop.. No time. I do try to get on this site and learn as much as possible, and apply it first hand though..
Old 11-29-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess I just come from a different school/time where we were mechanics first, then that evolved into modding. If something breaks, we know the noise or it's origin and we just go right for it. If I do post about it, it is usually "heard a nose this morning, just got done tearing it apart- check out the pics". Granted you gotta learn somewhere, but a 900 whp car usually isn't normally the place to start .
Joe
Old 11-29-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

I guess I just come from a different school/time where we were mechanics first, then that evolved into modding. If something breaks, we know the noise or it's origin and we just go right for it. If I do post about it, it is usually "heard a nose this morning, just got done tearing it apart- check out the pics". Granted you gotta learn somewhere, but a 900 whp car usually isn't normally the place to start .
Joe
I hear ya.. I started on trucks.. then LT1.. then ls1s.. bolts on.. then n20.. then building the block.. then ls2.. then FI.. so on and so on.. and still learning
Old 11-29-2006, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Joe
WAY too easy nowadays to have a wickedly fast car and not know what you're getting into. Guys like us are just sit back and watch....
Old 11-29-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drain the oil pan, see what you find.

drain it into some kinda clean container so you can see if theres any shavings and what not.

someones going to yell at me for this next comment, but you can all blow me. ive drilled a hole in my bellhousing before, not a 5" hole but a decent hole so i could shine a light in there. autos have an access hole with a metal "plate"...not sure why the manuals dont have this same hole.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro_Zach
drain the oil pan, see what you find.

drain it into some kinda clean container so you can see if theres any shavings and what not.

someones going to yell at me for this next comment, but you can all blow me. ive drilled a hole in my bellhousing before, not a 5" hole but a decent hole so i could shine a light in there. autos have an access hole with a metal "plate"...not sure why the manuals dont have this same hole.
We already drained the oil, and ran our fingers through it as it drained down.

Oil was smooth and clean as it should be.

As far as the comment goes for owning a 900rwhp car and not being able to diagnose it...

Im not very mechanically inclined, nor have had something this powerful before, so Im still learning as I go along and break stuff, lol.

Time, patience, tools and know how are all things I lack, so it can be difficult to either build something like this or diagnose a problem that I havent come across.

I will admit it is a **** load of power, especially when your not used to driving something that strong, however I feel comfortable driving it safely and never push the limit.

autos are no fun, so i might have to break another clutch before I consider it (which will prob happen in no time).
Old 11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
We already drained the oil, and ran our fingers through it as it drained down.

Oil was smooth and clean as it should be.

As far as the comment goes for owning a 900rwhp car and not being able to diagnose it...

Im not very mechanically inclined, nor have had something this powerful before, so Im still learning as I go along and break stuff, lol.

Time, patience, tools and know how are all things I lack, so it can be difficult to either build something like this or diagnose a problem that I havent come across.

I will admit it is a **** load of power, especially when your not used to driving something that strong, however I feel comfortable driving it safely and never push the limit.

autos are no fun, so i might have to break another clutch before I consider it (which will prob happen in no time).
It's all good . Just not my bag, that's all. In the time you have taken to reply though, you could have had the trans out 10 times already- so get to it .
Joe
Old 11-29-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NassyVette
Original Poster: Do you have any pics of your setup from different angles? Does your DP exit through the pass. or driver side?
I dont have any pics off hand, but the down pipe is routed through the passenger side
Old 11-29-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
We will be looking for another post about your next breakage.....

I hope you are lucky next time your car breaks, things could get much worse when you start nickel and diming your drivetrain....... Be careful.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

It's all good . Just not my bag, that's all. In the time you have taken to reply though, you could have had the trans out 10 times already- so get to it .
Joe
lol, I know, I pulled all the **** from the top of the tranny out, the console, shifter, all that.

So now I just need to pull the drive shaft, starter, tranny, bell housing, and everything from the pressure plate to the flywheel, again, lol.

I just dont have some of the tools (I.E. extensions) to reach the bolts in the back, so im waiting for some friends to help but their schedules are a little busy this week. Trust me, im trying, I want my car back on the road. Just takes some patience.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mekkadon
We will be looking for another post about your next breakage.....

I hope you are lucky next time your car breaks, things could get much worse when you start nickel and diming your drivetrain....... Be careful.
lol, in my defense im not really nickel and diming the drive train, **** just happens to **** up at these power levels now matter how well built the setup is.

built tranny, 1200 dollar twin disk clutch, strange 12 bolt, custom steel drive shaft, lotsa suspension stuff...

I just keep breaking the weakest link I guess.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John

Either way, if it is the starter, chances are it fucked up the flywheel too correct?

And if thats the scenario, Id have to pull the tranny and clutch out also right?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:24 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,135 Likes on 739 Posts

Easy to drop the starter and change it.

Quick Reply: Somethings wrong with the car... (video inside)