Old 11-29-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call them and get a price b/c its custom built, mine is about 275
Old 11-29-2006, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI-

If any of you guys want a custom lower profile elbow, I can make them to your specs. All I'll need is a template (side profile of the elbow) that you want. You can send a CAD drawing or a cut out piece of cardstock. I have done this for a lot of mustang and lt1 guys. For all you guys running the edelbrock intake, aren't you running it because it is tall, which gives a smoother transition into the intake ports?? A choked down intake elbow would be similar to throwing a 2.5" intake tube on the front of a 90mm throttle body....

If needed, I can also mill a customer-supplied Edelbrock down to help with clearance.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 11-29-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SELLSZ06
so Iam keeping the Edelbrock and NW tbody and just ordered this http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/installs/install.asp?id=22
seems like you would lose alot of power, that think is narrowed down bad.
doesnt even look like as good as quality as the other brand.

i would just trim your hood a little.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Aaron, I need a inch more of clearence, I think Ican take almost half inch from the Edelbrock, 1/8 from you existing elbow, but the front of the elbow and tbody would still hit the inside of the hood. Dont you think? I really dont want to touch my hood. The quality is lesser than of your elbow but I dont want to cut anything.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't recommend milling down the elbow baseplate to .25"... especially if you are going to boost it. It needs to be thick to get a good seal. I've recommended 4-bolt Ford style throttle bodies to quite a few people, but most think I'm crazy. It takes a little extra work to get them on your car (make or find throttle cable bracket) , but here's a few reasons to use one if you aren't someone who needs a direct bolt-on part that involves very little throught process:

-Cost. A new accufab 90mm ford 4-bolt is under $250 (ebay). Very nice parts.
-Idle air control isn't integrated into the top of the elbow. This is the reason these throttle bodies are so tall and create hood clearance issues.
-The ford TPS puts out the same readings. connect your existing wires to a ford tps on the Accufab, and it works great.
-4 bolts evenly spaced around the 90mm opening. The 5th (upper)bolt on the chev throttle bodies has no purpose.

I wish I had the answer for you if it was still going to touch your hood, but I don't. I mocked these elbows up on a '99 camaro z-28, with a GMPP (edlebrock intake was not for sale yet). Too bad the GMPP cost so much more in the end after machining and fuel rails. Kind of funny how the Gmpp takes paper gaskets and the Edelbrock uses stock o-ring gaskets too huh?

Last edited by AaronL; 11-30-2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Aaron, I need a inch more of clearence, I think Ican take almost half inch from the Edelbrock, 1/8 from you existing elbow, but the front of the elbow and tbody would still hit the inside of the hood. Dont you think? I really dont want to touch my hood. The quality is lesser than of your elbow but I dont want to cut anything.
if you dont want to cut your hood, why dont you just put the ls6 intake on, if you put that narrowed down elbow i bet the ls6 will flow better.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

smokinhawk: I think even with that elbow I think it would be beneficial over a ls6 intake with FI anyway.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

with some of the flow tests that were done, i would say no.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

smokinhawk: I think even with that elbow I think it would be beneficial over a ls6 intake with FI anyway.
Unless you are pushing more than 900rwhp, really not going to help. There has been many Threads on this as of late. Do a search and see. I just went through this as well.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

where the single plane shines is the higher RPM, but if you cap off the throttle body by narrowing it down there goes the gains would would see.

Quick Reply: help GMPP intake